View Poll Results: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Marijuana

    67 81.71%
  • Cocaine

    36 43.90%
  • LSD

    38 46.34%
  • Meth

    30 36.59%
  • Prescription drugs

    33 40.24%
  • Psychedelic mushrooms

    44 53.66%
  • Ecstasy

    35 42.68%
  • Opium

    38 46.34%
  • other

    28 34.15%
  • None of the above

    14 17.07%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 294

Thread: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

  1. #191
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    If the regulations are that cumbersome, meth houses will remain quite lucrative....and dangerous.
    I said stringent, not cumbersome. The regulations would be specific and enforced heavily, but it would not place an unreasonable encumbrance upon people who wished to purchase it.

    Meth needs to be separated from other drugs in regards to legalization. And considering meth is devil spawn of the drug war anyway, let's drain the swamp of this one. A legal and cheaper alternate....namely cocaine will eliminate 99% of the demand anyway.
    If cocaine could eliminate 99% of the demand then why would meth need to remain criminalized? Also, why would we want to push the remaining addicts into the dark, where they can never receive help? Drug addiction is a fungal infection - it thrives in dark, damp places.

    I say we legalize meth at the same time we legalize bio-weapons....never
    Noted.

  2. #192
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    13,779

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I said stringent, not cumbersome. The regulations would be specific and enforced heavily, but it would not place an unreasonable encumbrance upon people who wished to purchase it.
    it is my understanding that what amounts to toxic waste is a byproduct of meth production. So although the controls may not be unreasonable, they will be costly which will create a black market.

    If cocaine could eliminate 99% of the demand then why would meth need to remain criminalized?
    Because of the dangers in meth production

    Also, why would we want to push the remaining addicts into the dark, where they can never receive help? Drug addiction is a fungal infection - it thrives in dark, damp places.
    why can't they get help?
    Last edited by ARealConservative; 05-20-09 at 12:11 AM.

  3. #193
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    I would like to know what the carbine footprint would be for the typical legal-meth plant?

  4. #194
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    The existing level of meth abuse in my city and in nearly every reservation in my state.
    So, upon legalization of meth, addicts will suddenly start popping up down the street from you and Hatuey because people abuse meth right now in other places?

    Every casino, Most gas stations and grocery stores out here also sell cigarettes and liqueur.
    Neither of these drugs are meth, therefore they would not be subject to the same regulations.

    If pot is legalised I would expect to see packs of roaches right next to the Marboros; shrumes right next to the chewing tobacco.
    "Roaches" are extinguished marijuana joints. Anyway, I could certainly see marijuana products being sold in a similar fashion as tobacco. Psilocybin might be subject to more stringent regulations. I think the point I'm trying to make is that not all drugs are the same, therefore they should not be treated as such.

    Same thing with meth. I would expect Family Thrift to keep it in a locked cabinet right next to the cigarettes and Niccerette. Safeway might choose to keep it in their stylish liqueur department.
    What makes you think either of these places could acquire a license to sell meth? What makes you think either of these places would be willing to incur heavy regulation in order to sell meth? What makes you think communities and local governments wouldn't control where and when meth can be sold?

    That much is apparent.
    Okay?

    All the evidence shows that they were wrong.
    What evidence? I remember discussing this with you and most of the evidence you provided was suspect. Mostly just broken links or dead-ends.

    "Legalize it to make it safe" ring a bell?
    Well, it is safer.

    The number of abortions per year increased exponentially after it was legalized.
    You'll have to draw some more parallels between abortion and drugs besides their legal status if you want to validate your analogy.

  5. #195
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    So, upon legalization of meth, addicts will suddenly start popping up down the street from you and Hatuey because people abuse meth right now in other places?
    Yup.

    It's a problem barely under control now. People don't just sit in their home and get high, they have to get the money, and in case you didn't know a meth addict has a notoriously difficult time holding down a job.

    So they turn to crime.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I think the point I'm trying to make is that not all drugs are the same, therefore they should not be treated as such.
    Well no ****. Since I started the thread with that understanding as an assumed premis, I have no idea what new point you are trying to make.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    What makes you think either of these places could acquire a license to sell meth?
    Uh, that would be the point of legalizing meth...so people can buy it....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    What makes you think either of these places would be willing to incur heavy regulation in order to sell meth?
    Money.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    What makes you think communities and local governments wouldn't control where and when meth can be sold?
    They already do, but people like you want to end that control.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Okay?
    Exactly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    What evidence? I remember discussing this with you and most of the evidence you provided was suspect. Mostly just broken links or dead-ends.
    One or 2 were changed between the time of that debate and when I gave them earlier, and since I gave them to you before and they didn't change your mind, I don't see what giving them again would accomplish.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    You'll have to draw some more parallels between abortion and drugs besides their legal status if you want to validate your analogy.
    It is the legal status my analogy is about, so whatever.

  6. #196
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    No. I'm saying that as far as I know right now the laws against drugs have been indiscriminate between drugs that A) can not give you an overdose and B) drugs that can. I'm all for keeping drugs that can kill illegal. While making drugs that can't legal. Have you ever heard of a mushroom overdose? I haven't. You ever heard of a meth overdose? I have. Now bring up the alcohol, cigarete references. Just so I can ask you : How many people have you heard about dying from a single smoke/drink as opposed to people who have died from a single hit of heroin.
    So, a more accurate description of your position would be to criminalize drugs which can kill in a single dosage, not necessarily those that can kill?

    Crystal meth is a beautiful drug because it can be created in your garage and the initial intensity of the drug keeps the users chasing their first high. With that said your argument assumes that the makers of crystal meth(currently Mexican cartels) have any incentive to let the government regulate their business. How is the government who can not even find the already running meth labs in trailers in Iowa and Utah supposed to regulate them when they become legal for sale?
    Because legal businesses operate within plain view of society?

    What exactly is your point? That because addiction to hard drugs is not going away then it should be legalized?
    Partly. The other half of my point is that legalization will help society combat addiction more effectively.

    Well pedophilia is not going away either so by your logic we should legalize it.
    I don't think legalizing child molestation would help society combat pedophilia, so, no, it's not my logic.

    What you're arguing here is letting a rabid chihuahua lose and letting a rabid pitbull lose then claiming their attacks will amount to the same type of damage. Sorry. But they won't.
    I'm saying that both have been loose for some time and both have attacked millions of people. The idea that society has confined either animal is a joke.

  7. #197
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I don't think legalizing child molestation would help society combat pedophilia, so, no, it's not my logic.
    No that's EXACTLY what you're saying.

    ________ isn't going away, so legalize it.

    "People do it anyway" is the ONLY reason you give. You NEVER say what makes a given thing unique, why it should be made legal and not others.

    We shouldn't have to tell you to do this.

    This is why the Loosertarian party fails every time. Society doesn't want everything that some token minority does outside the law sanctioned by the law simply because that token minority will do it anyway.

    You're going to have to start coming up with actual reasoning if you want anyone to get behind your view.

  8. #198
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    You know what? **** this thread. I'm not supporting legal-meth no mater what argument you pull out of your ass. Why? BECAUSE IT'S **METH**

    Pot, sure, shrumes, fine, meth (etc), never.

    I'm not open to discussing legal recreational hard drugs, I've seen first hand how drugs have destroyed the lives of my family.

    So, yeah, I'll save you some time and just bow out.

    See you at the voting booth

  9. #199
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,505

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    So, a more accurate description of your position would be to criminalize drugs which can kill in a single dosage, not necessarily those that can kill?
    No. Drugs which can kill. Marijuana use regardless of how much of you use will NEVER lead to an overdose. Same goes for shrooms. Drugs that can lead to overdose = bad. Drugs that can't = Good.

    Because legal businesses operate within plain view of society?
    And what is your point exatcly? That this would not be a product which the government would have NO control whatsoever even after legalization? You're arguing that because Microsoft screws up from time to time that it is above the law. As we all know that is not true. Drugs are different however. The moment kids using legally bought meth start dying there will be a public outcry for it to be banned again the same way the government takes so many drugs off the shelves every year. Same goes for coke, heroin etc.

    Partly. The other half of my point is that legalization will help society combat addiction more effectively.
    In this case. It won't. Meth users aren't looking for a way out. They are chasing. The moment you tell a person they can use a drug that is likely to kill them then you give them absolutely no incentive to stop using it.

    I don't think legalizing child molestation would help society combat pedophilia, so, no, it's not my logic.
    Really? Why not? Wouldn't it bring pedophiles into the light and thus allow us to help them? Your argument assumes that these people will want to be helped. As we all know. The majority do not. They want to keep chasing.

    I'm saying that both have been loose for some time and both have attacked millions of people. The idea that society has confined either animal is a joke.
    And your solution is to legalize it in the hopes that by some magical train of thought addicts will want to be helped when their favorite addiction is now legalized?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #200
    Hi
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-26-16 @ 12:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    26,258

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You know what? **** this thread. I'm not supporting legal-meth no mater what argument you pull out of your ass. Why? BECAUSE IT'S **METH**

    Pot, sure, shrumes, fine, meth (etc), never.

    I'm not open to discussing legal recreational hard drugs, I've seen first hand how drugs have destroyed the lives of my family.

    So, yeah, I'll save you some time and just bow out.

    See you at the voting booth
    You know Jerry, I hate meth too but I understand that no amount of saying "its bad" is going to stop some people from doing it.

    Real life examples of fail are needed to show others what not to do.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •