View Poll Results: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Marijuana

    67 81.71%
  • Cocaine

    36 43.90%
  • LSD

    38 46.34%
  • Meth

    30 36.59%
  • Prescription drugs

    33 40.24%
  • Psychedelic mushrooms

    44 53.66%
  • Ecstasy

    35 42.68%
  • Opium

    38 46.34%
  • other

    28 34.15%
  • None of the above

    14 17.07%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 294

Thread: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

  1. #181
    User Thoreau's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    09-17-09 @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    102

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Actually, your wrong. I just realized it was Canabis that was upgraded, not weed. Dont know what your talking about mate.

    BBC NEWS | UK | UK Politics | Cannabis law change 'illogical'


    PS: I dont neccessarily agree with them upgrading it to a class B drug.
    Cannabis= weed, grass, pot, marijuana, etc.

  2. #182
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    09-29-16 @ 07:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,413

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    So making drugs availible to the public is harm reduction?
    Yes. Now you're getting it.

    - The potency of drugs can be accurately portrayed, similar to alcohol percentage or proof, which would reduce the number of overdoses.

    - The content can be regulated for quality and safety, so people won't be using drugs that have been floating in somebody's gas tank or hidden in laundry detergent for days or weeks, and the drugs won't be cut or mixed with dangerous chemicals by thugs on the street looking to stretch their product and make more money.

    - Police will know where all drugs are sold, and thus can more effectively watch for and prevent sales to minors.

    - Addicts can freely seek treatment without having to worry about facing possible criminal charges.

    - Drug gangs and dealers would be out of business within a month.

    - Police can refocus their resources and taxpayer dollars toward fighting actual crime.

    - And so on.

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    I can bet you the sellers will undercut the selling price of legal fees at every turn. The government will probably end up taxing the drugs. There is no winning, same amount of tax payers money going down the drain, same old crap. The policies for the war on drugs need to be reformed. By legalizing, they have won the war.
    This doesn't make any sense. How do you define "winning" the war on drugs? And how do you figure it's the same amount of tax dollars down the drain? I can't follow you here at all, sorry.

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    So if its that easy, how would a government regulate that? And your advocating cocaine be availible in liquor stores?
    It works for alcohol, there's no reason to believe it won't work for any other drug.

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Making cocaine illegal doesnt make sense to you?
    No, not one bit of sense. The way to address the problem is to reduce demand through education, not incarceration.


    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Ah right, i remember this. Sorry i forgot about this, it was a long time ago. The results of relaxation of these laws showed they where having negative impacts on British society so they tightened them a few years later and upgraded the drug to class B. Imagine legalization?
    Can you please link to a credible source that describes the reasons why they reversed that position?


    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Im using my common sense.
    I know your "common sense" argument seems logical, but it has not played out in reality. That's because there are more variables here than what your logic accounts for. You're completely ignoring the effects of social attitudes and norms. You assume legalization automatically means glamorization, and that's simply not true.

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Common sense dictates it will be used more, just like chocolate will be consumed more if it was being sold at cheaper rates. People will be more enticed to try it.
    Now you're assuming people will never consider the health hazards and just smoke/snort/inject whatever is put in front of them. Honestly, would you go shoot up heroin if you could buy some at the store? No? Then what makes you think everyone else will? It makes no sense.


    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    In any case, you too cannot prove otherwise.
    No, that's not how this works. It's your claim that drug use would increase when legalized, so the burden of proof is on you to prove this assertion or admit that it's nothing more than a myth unsupported by facts.

  3. #183
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,558

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    I agree with Jerry. Weed smokers next door? Fine. Shroom children next door? Fine. Methheads on my block? Not even cool. Even if they currently exist I don't want it to become readily available for their consumption. I've never seen anybody got into a crazy rage over weed. I've seen a few meth addicts go right f'n insane for it. Drugs that can make people overdose? Not even remotely cool. It's bad enough that enough ibuprofen can make for your last headache. We don't need to add more **** that can be a direct consequence of your death.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 05-19-09 at 10:43 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #184
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    I told you, try it out. Then i know what your saying isnt an assumption
    Good thing for me people have already tried it - it's called college.

    When police found Bradley McCue, a student from Michigan State University, they saw that he was unconscious, his nose was painted red, and the words "24 shots" were scribbled across his forehead.

    An autopsy revealed that McCue had a blood alcohol level of .44 percent. Witnesses said that he drank 24 shots of liquor in less than two hours. He died of acute alcohol intoxication--also known as alcohol poisoning [1].


    So, he took approximately 24 shots of liquor within approximately two hours. The typical shot glass is two ounces [2]:



    Let's assume the size of Bradley's shot glass was twice the usual size (four ounces). Twenty four shots, four ounces per shot, ninety-six ounces of liquor. That's thirty ounces less than a gallon and a gallon of Popov Vodka costs $19.98 [3]. Wow, that was hard.

    You want me to prove if alcohol is worse than cocain? Lol. Ignorant.
    Yes, prove it. By the way, have you ever tried cocaine?

    Noo...my argument is drugs like Cocaine should be outlawed because takers pose a threat to society
    Don't people who consume alcohol pose a threat to society?

    aswell as its very addictive nature.
    Isn't alcohol very addictive?

    If everybody got addicted to cocaine, what would that do to society?
    If everybody got addicted to alcohol, what would that do to society?

    I suppose we legalize underage sex too, yeah? Cause its the kids choice (Y)
    I'm talking about adults.


    [1] - Hazelden -- Alcohol poisoning: Drinking too much too fast can kill you
    [2] - Shot Glass : Cobalt Shot Glass Twelve Piece Set
    [3] - Alcohol Shopper-Your Guide To Informed Cheap Drinking

  5. #185
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I agree with Jerry. Weed smokers next door? Fine. Shroom children next door? Fine. Methheads on my block? Not even cool.
    I don't understand what you are saying. Are you suggesting that if meth were legalized meth-heads would suddenly start popping up on your block?

    Even if they currently exist I don't want it to become readily available for their consumption.
    I'm not sure how "readily" available meth would be amongst the general populace if it were legalized. Such a substance would incur very stringent regulations. Are you suggesting perhaps that it would be made available in gas stations and grocery stores?

    I've never seen anybody got into a crazy rage over weed. I've seen a few meth addicts go right f'n insane for it. Drugs that can make people overdose? Not even remotely cool. It's bad enough that enough ibuprofen can make for your last headache. We don't need to add more **** that can be a direct consequence of your death.
    It's already out there and it's never going away. Bring addiction into the light of society where we can identify and mitigate it, instead of pushing it into the dark where it festers and grows.

  6. #186
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I don't understand what you are saying. Are you suggesting that if meth were legalized meth-heads would suddenly start popping up on your block?
    Pretty much, yeah.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I'm not sure how "readily" available meth would be amongst the general populace if it were legalized. Such a substance would incur very stringent regulations. Are you suggesting perhaps that it would be made available in gas stations and grocery stores?
    If I owned a company that produced a now-legal recreational meth product, you're damn right that's exactly what I would go for.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    It's already out there and it's never going away.
    Mhmm, you're point?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Bring addiction into the light of society where we can identify and mitigate it, instead of pushing it into the dark where it festers and grows.
    Yeah they said the same thing about prostitution and abortion.

  7. #187
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Pretty much, yeah.
    What are you basing this on?

    If I owned a company that produced a now-legal recreational meth product, you're damn right that's exactly what I would go for.
    And considering the kind of regulation they would incur from selling meth, what makes you think gas stations and grocery stores would accept your business? Last time I checked, gas stations were interested in selling gas, and grocery stores were interested in selling groceries. I'm not sure Exxon Mobile is interested becoming a heavily regulated dispenser of meth who just happens to sell gasoline.

    Mhmm, you're point?
    I hadn't made it yet.

    Yeah they said the same thing about prostitution
    Well, I agree with "them". What's your point?

    and abortion.
    How is abortion in anyway applicable to this discussion?

  8. #188
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    13,790

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    And considering the kind of regulation they would incur from selling meth, what makes you think gas stations and grocery stores would accept your business?
    If the regulations are that cumbersome, meth houses will remain quite lucrative....and dangerous.

    Meth needs to be separated from other drugs in regards to legalization. And considering meth is devil spawn of the drug war anyway, let's drain the swamp of this one. A legal and cheaper alternate....namely cocaine will eliminate 99% of the demand anyway.

    I say we legalize meth at the same time we legalize bio-weapons....never

  9. #189
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    What are you basing this on?
    The existing level of meth abuse in my city and in nearly every reservation in my state.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    And considering the kind of regulation they would incur from selling meth, what makes you think gas stations and grocery stores would accept your business? Last time I checked, gas stations were interested in selling gas, and grocery stores were interested in selling groceries. I'm not sure Exxon Mobile is interested becoming a heavily regulated dispenser of meth who just happens to sell gasoline.
    Every casino, Most gas stations and grocery stores out here also sell cigarettes and liqueur. If pot is legalised I would expect to see packs of roaches right next to the Marboros; shrumes right next to the chewing tobacco.

    Same thing with meth. I would expect Family Thrift to keep it in a locked cabinet right next to the cigarettes and Niccerette. Safeway might choose to keep it in their stylish liqueur department.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I hadn't made it yet.
    That much is apparent.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Well, I agree with "them". What's your point?
    All the evidence shows that they were wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    How is abortion in anyway applicable to this discussion?
    "Legalize it to make it safe" ring a bell?

    The number of abortions per year increased exponentially after it was legalized. There's no way to make meth safe like you can with a medical procedure, but you can lie and tell people you can. They lied about cigarettes for decades.

  10. #190
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,558

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I don't understand what you are saying. Are you suggesting that if meth were legalized meth-heads would suddenly start popping up on your block?
    No. I'm saying that as far as I know right now the laws against drugs have been indiscriminate between drugs that A) can not give you an overdose and B) drugs that can. I'm all for keeping drugs that can kill illegal. While making drugs that can't legal. Have you ever heard of a mushroom overdose? I haven't. You ever heard of a meth overdose? I have. Now bring up the alcohol, cigarete references. Just so I can ask you : How many people have you heard about dying from a single smoke/drink as opposed to people who have died from a single hit of heroin.

    I'm not sure how "readily" available meth would be amongst the general populace if it were legalized. Such a substance would incur very stringent regulations. Are you suggesting perhaps that it would be made available in gas stations and grocery stores?
    Crystal meth is a beautiful drug because it can be created in your garage and the initial intensity of the drug keeps the users chasing their first high. With that said your argument assumes that the makers of crystal meth(currently Mexican cartels) have any incentive to let the government regulate their business. How is the government who can not even find the already running meth labs in trailers in Iowa and Utah supposed to regulate them when they become legal for sale?

    It's already out there and it's never going away. Bring addiction into the light of society where we can identify and mitigate it, instead of pushing it into the dark where it festers and grows.
    What exactly is your point? That because addiction to hard drugs is not going away then it should be legalized? Well pedophilia is not going away either so by your logic we should legalize it. What you're arguing here is letting a rabid chihuahua lose and letting a rabid pitbull lose then claiming their attacks will amount to the same type of damage. Sorry. But they won't.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 05-19-09 at 11:57 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •