View Poll Results: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Marijuana

    67 81.71%
  • Cocaine

    36 43.90%
  • LSD

    38 46.34%
  • Meth

    30 36.59%
  • Prescription drugs

    33 40.24%
  • Psychedelic mushrooms

    44 53.66%
  • Ecstasy

    35 42.68%
  • Opium

    38 46.34%
  • other

    28 34.15%
  • None of the above

    14 17.07%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 294

Thread: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

  1. #171
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Which is why drink driving is illegal, and you have to consume ALOT to die from alcohol.
    It depends on what you mean by A LOT. I can buy enough alcohol to kill myself two times over for less than twenty dollars.

    Otherwise its effects on the body is minor, when compared to drugs.
    Alcohol is a drug, you little idiot.

    Like all things taken in excess, of course its harmful.
    Then we should outlaw "excessive" alcohol consumption.

  2. #172
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    09-29-16 @ 07:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,413

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Quick note: i dont see how legalizing drugs will combat the war on drugs.
    It's never going to be possible to "win" the war on drugs. It's not something we can achieve, it's only something we can move toward. So the goal of the war on drugs should be harm reduction. It's a war on drugs, not a war on drug users. Drugs cause harm to users and to society. Prohibition increases, rather than decreases, the harm caused by drugs. Legalization is not the perfect solution where everything will be like puppies and kittens, but it would remove the harmful effects caused by prohibition. Education and deglamorization should follow, and that is very important to keeping drug use as a social taboo instead of it becoming accepted.

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Who brings in the mainstream profits for the sellers? The junkies, the crackheads, the ones who cant live a day without it. If they can only get it off the government legally in regulated amounts, then still, whats going to stop them from turning to the sellers?

    (snip)

    They dont want to buy drugs from the authorities in regulated amounts. They want to buy as much as they can so they can pop some pills for the next few weeks without having to worry about getting more supplies.
    1. If they can't get what they need from authorized distributors then that's still prohibition for all intents and purposes.

    2. Sure a few people might still go to the streets, even if they can get all they need from an authorized source, but they would probably be few and far between. The closest thing we have to compare to is alcohol. How many people do you think would rather buy cheap moonshine out of some guy's bathtub, instead of just going to the liquor store? Even if they're alcoholic and the liquor store is more expensive?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    You might take the odd buck or two away from the sellers, but will it defeat the war on drugs? Not even close. Dont forget the government will still be following the same stupid policies even if it where all legalized, because the government then has to make sure its the only one selling (so it can do so in regulated amounts). Like "legalizing" these substances will save tax payers money
    Please.

    (snip)

    EDIT: Not to mention these sellers are constantly finding ways to get there hands on the strongest cocaine and Heroin they can get.
    Wait a minute... you leave some prohibitionist policies in place and then accuse legalization of the very problems caused by those prohibitionist policies? That's not fair... Of course, if you leave certain remnants of prohibition in place, then the problems associated with said prohibition will still linger around. Imagine that! The government shouldn't be selling drugs, it should be regulating them. Drugs should be legal and available in liquor stores.

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Which is why drink driving is illegal, and you have to consume ALOT to die from alcohol. Otherwise its effects on the body is minor, when compared to drugs. Like all things taken in excess, of course its harmful. But when seen from a rational perspective, you wouldnt even be able to class Alcohol as class C because its not even close to being harmful enough and therefore it is legal. You cant throw people in prison for eating too much food, can you? How much consumption will cause death on cocaine anyway?

    You dont "regulate" Class A drugs. To take them anyway is irresponsible. To take them responsibly isnt possible.
    No matter how many times I hear the argument, "drug X is bad for your health, therefore drug X should be illegal", it still doesn't make one iota of sense to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    BS. Weed has gone up to a Class B in England. Where do you get this crap from?
    Prime Minister Tony Blair's government moved Wednesday to relax its laws on marijuana, stopping short of legalization but guaranteeing most users will get off with just a warning while police focus their enforcement efforts on harder drugs.

    www.newser.com/archive-us-news/1P2-1453086/england-relaxes-marijuana-penalties.html

    Britain, which has one of the highest rates of cannabis use in Europe, said today that it was relaxing its laws on marijuana smoking, keeping the practice theoretically illegal but making private use in discreet amounts no longer subject to arrest.

    Britain to Stop Arresting Most Private Users of Marijuana

    This was in the summer of 2002, have they changed something since then?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    I have to proove to you drugs are harmful?
    No, prove that drug use will increase if legalized. Most of your views on this subject seem to be making that assumption, so I'm curious if you can show it to be true.

  3. #173
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    It depends on what you mean by A LOT. I can buy enough alcohol to kill myself two times over for less than twenty dollars.
    Well do me a favour and try it. Then ill believe you.

    Alcohol is a drug, you little idiot.
    My bad, when compared to other illegal drugs.

    Then we should outlaw "excessive" alcohol consumption.
    I know, your point?

    It's never going to be possible to "win" the war on drugs. It's not something we can achieve, it's only something we can move toward. So the goal of the war on drugs should be harm reduction.
    So making drugs availible to the public is harm reduction?

    2. Sure a few people might still go to the streets, even if they can get all they need from an authorized source, but they would probably be few and far between. The closest thing we have to compare to is alcohol. How many people do you think would rather buy cheap moonshine out of some guy's bathtub, instead of just going to the liquor store? Even if they're alcoholic and the liquor store is more expensive?
    I can bet you the sellers will undercut the selling price of legal fees at every turn. The government will probably end up taxing the drugs. There is no winning, same amount of tax payers money going down the drain, same old crap. The policies for the war on drugs need to be reformed. By legalizing, they have won the war.

    Drugs should be legal and available in liquor stores.
    So if its that easy, how would a government regulate that? And your advocating cocaine be availible in liquor stores?
    No matter how many times I hear the argument, "drug X is bad for your health, therefore drug X should be illegal", it still doesn't make one iota of sense to me.
    Making cocaine illegal doesnt make sense to you?

    This was in the summer of 2002, have they changed something since then?
    Ah right, i remember this. Sorry i forgot about this, it was a long time ago. The results of relaxation of these laws showed they where having negative impacts on British society so they tightened them a few years later and upgraded the drug to class B. Imagine legalization?

    No, prove that drug use will increase if legalized. Most of your views on this subject seem to be making that assumption, so I'm curious if you can show it to be true.
    Im using my common sense. Common sense dictates it will be used more, just like chocolate will be consumed more if it was being sold at cheaper rates. People will be more enticed to try it. And those who are already taking dont have to be hesistant and get it from shady sources when you can nip into your liquor store. In any case, you too cannot prove otherwise.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  4. #174
    User Thoreau's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    09-17-09 @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    102

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Anti-prostitution law has nothing to do with subjective morality either.
    Keep telling yourself that, does not make it so.

    I'm not sure what part of "slavery" you didn't understand.
    Slavery? Does that make me a slave because I voluntarily do labor for another and receive a wage? I did not take you as a wage slavery kind of guy.


    There is no such global markit forcing people to over eat under threat of death.



    Until your daughter, wife or mother is kidnapped....
    Good reason why prostitution should be legal and above ground SO THAT THIS S*** does not happen. You are conflating black and white markets.

    Many nations thought the same thing, then legalized it "so it can be regulated and controlled for the worker's saftey", and found that they couldn't control it at all.
    Evidence? Nevada and the Netherlands still are regulating it hiccup free. They even have sex-worker unions in the Netherlands.
    Sweden is the best example of legalizing prostitution with the best of intentions, coping with the reality of what prostitution is and what it does to women and society, and how to clean up the mess.
    Source, please.

  5. #175
    User Thoreau's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    09-17-09 @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    102

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post



    Ah right, i remember this. Sorry i forgot about this, it was a long time ago. The results of relaxation of these laws showed they where having negative impacts on British society so they tightened them a few years later and upgraded the drug to class B. Imagine legalization?
    Wrong, the British PM ignored his own scientific review board NOT to upgrade the scheduling because the lower scheduling resulted in REDUCED use. The police in England say that they are not going to change how they operate and continue giving warnings instead of hard time.
    Last edited by Thoreau; 05-19-09 at 06:31 PM.

  6. #176
    Student Goldwaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Liberal Northern California
    Last Seen
    03-08-10 @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    266

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    My persona reinforcement is Nancy Reagan, got I love that woman in a way. "Just say no" is the first thing I say every day. The above quote is true on a lot of levels, some that I cannot even come close to articulating.
    Nancy Reagan was awesome in how she got people talking about a problem that most people didn't acknowlege. I also admire Betty Ford. Betty and Nancy did alot to remove stigma's and taboos surrounding alchoholism and addiction.

  7. #177
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Well do me a favour and try it. Then ill believe you.
    Then you agree, it doesn't take A LOT of alcohol to kill someone.

    My bad, when compared to other illegal drugs.
    Prove it.

    I know, your point?
    Your position is based entirely upon your subjective definition of "excessive" and the false notion that you have the right or obligation to prevent others from engaging in "excess" or being harmed. You do not.

    Furthermore, how would you go about defining "excessive" alcohol consumption? How would you go about enforcing such a policy?

  8. #178
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau View Post
    Wrong, the British PM ignored his own scientific review board NOT to upgrade the scheduling because the lower scheduling resulted in REDUCED use. The police in England say that they are not going to change how they operate and continue giving warnings instead of hard time.
    Actually, your wrong. I just realized it was Canabis that was upgraded, not weed. Dont know what your talking about mate.

    BBC NEWS | UK | UK Politics | Cannabis law change 'illogical'
    The reclassification of cannabis as a Class B drug has come into effect in England and Wales amid complaints the new laws are "illogical".

    Ministers went against their advisors to upgrade the drug because of worries about its impact on mental health.

    Magistrates welcomed the reclassification but said planned fines for possessing small amounts undermined the more serious classification.
    PS: I dont neccessarily agree with them upgrading it to a class B drug.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  9. #179
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Then you agree, it doesn't take A LOT of alcohol to kill someone.
    I told you, try it out. Then i know what your saying isnt an assumption

    Prove it.
    You want me to prove if alcohol is worse than cocain? Lol. Ignorant.

    Your position is based entirely upon your subjective definition of "excessive" and the false notion that you have the right or obligation to prevent others from engaging in "excess" or being harmed. You do not.
    Noo...my argument is drugs like Cocaine should be outlawed because takers pose a threat to society aswell as its very addictive nature. If everybody got addicted to cocaine, what would that do to society? I suppose we legalize underage sex too, yeah? Cause its the kids choice (Y)
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  10. #180
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 05:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Actually, your wrong. I just realized it was Canabis that was upgraded, not weed. Dont know what your talking about mate.

    BBC NEWS | UK | UK Politics | Cannabis law change 'illogical'


    PS: I dont neccessarily agree with them upgrading it to a class B drug.
    Cannabis is weed. Marijuana is its political name but Cannabis is its real name, the name of the plant.

    Upgrading the status is the result of Conservative politics, but it won't change anything. Police won't waste their time going after people for smoking a joint.

    It's the Conservatives who were behind prohibition of alcohol in the U.S., and that was the perfect opportunity for society to gather data and see that prohibition does not work. Legalization results in reduced abuse and an increase in moderate use, and it eliminates the social stigma attached to criminalization so that people who are addicts can openly seek help.

Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •