View Poll Results: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Marijuana

    67 81.71%
  • Cocaine

    36 43.90%
  • LSD

    38 46.34%
  • Meth

    30 36.59%
  • Prescription drugs

    33 40.24%
  • Psychedelic mushrooms

    44 53.66%
  • Ecstasy

    35 42.68%
  • Opium

    38 46.34%
  • other

    28 34.15%
  • None of the above

    14 17.07%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 294

Thread: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

  1. #161
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    08-24-16 @ 01:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,413

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Only going to reply to two of these, the first one will cover several.

    I made it clear, and you quoted that part of what I said, that I was expressing my opinion only, based on my experiences.
    I know. And my point was that your experiences are atypical.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    My premise is that if drugs are made legal, they will as a direct consequence of that act, become more socially acceptable.
    If that were guaranteed to happen then I'd agree with you. But since there is no known correlation between drug laws and the rate of drug use, it's a fallacy to assume drug use would increase after legalization. If that did happen, other countries who have legalized drugs would have experienced it, but they didn't. What the prohibitionists predicted was a myth.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Alcohol and marijuana are pretty similar in a lot of ways. One is almost entirely socially accepted, one less so. I believe that this is because one is legal, the other not.
    I believe it has almost nothing to do with legal status. Which is the same position of the world's foremost experts on the subject.

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Drugs harm the body well beyond what you can concieve at first glance, they are far more addictive and destructive
    Good reasons why drugs should not be used. Not good reasons why they should be illegal.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I hate the idea of addiction as disease. It reeks of excuse. For me to recover, I had to accept that I had to change things, and not all of them directly related to my addiction. I guess the idea is that to recover, I had to make internal changes in myself, which had to come from me. Diseases are cured from without.
    I had the same impression when I first heard the notion that addiction is a disease. But it's widely regarded as a disease by medical experts.

    NIDA - Drug Abuse and Addiction: One of America's Most Challenging Public Health Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Tubub View Post
    You need laws keeping drugs like heroine and amphetamines illegal... Those substances are too harmful to ever legalize.
    Can you please explain why you think prohibition is doing anything at all to address the hazards of those drugs? Bear in mind, drug laws have no known correlation to the rate of drug use. I keep repeating that because 90% of these prohibitionist arguments are based on the assumption that the laws are keeping the number of users low and that legalization would lead to more drug use. These assumptions are myths, they are not supported by any facts or evidence.

  2. #162
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Good reasons why drugs should not be used. Not good reasons why they should be illegal.
    Because putting them on the market for legal access by anyone will result in the drug being used (by **** loads of people too).
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  3. #163
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    So that justified legalizing drugs which is much worse then alcohol? Your contradicting yourself. As i said anyway, responsible amounts are fine.
    My point is that alcohol causes traffic accidents, death upon too much consumption, abuse and neglect. Yet it remains legal. So your argument that substances are illegal because they are dangerous is a joke.

    Try it for yourself, then.
    Try what? Making assumptions? I'll pass.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  4. #164
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Because putting them on the market for legal access by anyone will result in the drug being used (by **** loads of people too).
    Straw man. No one has suggested that they would be "legal" for "everyone". It would be regulated. Nice try, though.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  5. #165
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    08-24-16 @ 01:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,413

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Because putting them on the market for legal access by anyone will result in the drug being used (by **** loads of people too).
    Well if you're so sure about that then you should have no problem finding something that supports it. Other countries (Netherlands, England) have decriminalized drugs. Several U.S. states have decriminalized small amounts of marijuana. The world's foremost experts have examined all the available data. Please, if that's so sure to happen, some credible expert somewhere must agree with your analysis right? So please share your evidence.

  6. #166
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quick note: i dont see how legalizing drugs will combat the war on drugs. Who brings in the mainstream profits for the sellers? The junkies, the crackheads, the ones who cant live a day without it. If they can only get it off the government legally in regulated amounts, then still, whats going to stop them from turning to the sellers? They dont want to buy drugs from the authorities in regulated amounts. They want to buy as much as they can so they can pop some pills for the next few weeks without having to worry about getting more supplies. You might take the odd buck or two away from the sellers, but will it defeat the war on drugs? Not even close. Dont forget the government will still be following the same stupid policies even if it where all legalized, because the government then has to make sure its the only one selling (so it can do so in regulated amounts). Like "legalizing" these substances will save tax payers money
    Please.

    EDIT: Not to mention these sellers are constantly finding ways to get there hands on the strongest cocaine and Heroin they can get.
    Last edited by kaya'08; 05-19-09 at 05:29 PM.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  7. #167
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    My point is that alcohol causes traffic accidents, death upon too much consumption, abuse and neglect. Yet it remains legal. So your argument that substances are illegal because they are dangerous is a joke.
    Which is why drink driving is illegal, and you have to consume ALOT to die from alcohol. Otherwise its effects on the body is minor, when compared to drugs. Like all things taken in excess, of course its harmful. But when seen from a rational perspective, you wouldnt even be able to class Alcohol as class C because its not even close to being harmful enough and therefore it is legal. You cant throw people in prison for eating too much food, can you? How much consumption will cause death on cocaine anyway?

    Straw man. No one has suggested that they would be "legal" for "everyone". It would be regulated. Nice try, though
    You dont "regulate" Class A drugs. To take them anyway is irresponsible. To take them responsibly isnt possible.

    Well if you're so sure about that then you should have no problem finding something that supports it. Other countries (Netherlands, England) have decriminalized drugs.
    BS. Weed has gone up to a Class B in England. Where do you get this crap from?

    The world's foremost experts have examined all the available data. Please, if that's so sure to happen, some credible expert somewhere must agree with your analysis right? So please share your evidence.
    I have to proove to you drugs are harmful?
    Last edited by kaya'08; 05-19-09 at 05:31 PM.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  8. #168
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:26 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    86,323
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    I had the same impression when I first heard the notion that addiction is a disease. But it's widely regarded as a disease by medical experts.

    NIDA - Drug Abuse and Addiction: One of America's Most Challenging Public Health Problems
    Not going to bother responding to most of it, not because I don't want the debate, but that we don't have much to debate really. I am aware of the things you cite, and disagree, but can offer nothing but my personal experiences, and we both know that anecdotal evidence is weak at best. Doesn't mean I don't believe it, but I can't prove it, if you follow, so to argue it would be just going around in circles and neither of us making any progress. I won't waste your time nor mine.

    I will respond to this bit though. Again, this is strictly opinion, so take it for what it is worth. Yes, I know that drug and alcohol addiction is considered a disease by medical experts. I don't even really disagree, I just don't like the characterization. For me to recover to the point I am at, I had to fix myself. If I had thought of my problems as a disease, I am not sure I could have. Differing people though will respond to different things. Disease does work for some, but not for others. My distaste for the term stems from how the disease notion affected me, and from my belief that to overcome addiction we have to choose to overcome addiction, internally and personally. I don't think labeling addiction a disease is overall helpful in that regard.

  9. #169
    Student Goldwaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Liberal Northern California
    Last Seen
    03-08-10 @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    266

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    That is a good point, but I do want to comment on one thing peripheral to what you are saying.

    I hate the idea of addiction as disease. It reeks of excuse. For me to recover, I had to accept that I had to change things, and not all of them directly related to my addiction. I guess the idea is that to recover, I had to make internal changes in myself, which had to come from me. Diseases are cured from without.
    Diseases are where normal functioning is impaired by something symptomatic, disorders are where normal functioning is disturbed. Addict behavior is cured both without and within. At the severity level addicts exhibit by the time they've reached rehab, they almost always need to make the effort you did, and commit to almost daily reinforcement AA/NA to avoid relapse.

    I've treated hundreds of people who've told me exactly what you're saying. Your ability to make the internal changes neccessary to quit is what most addicts lack in degrees that vary enough to pave the way to relapse. How much and what you use is only one component of addict behavior. Another component is what it's going to take for you to quit. An addict needs consistant reinforcement for the rest of thier lives.

    I need to be clear that I am not diagnosing you. I am not even comfortable with telling you that based on what you say...that I don't think you're an addict...I'm just sharing my experiences. So please...I don't want to sound grandios...but whatever you do...DO NOT be affected by anything we've talked about today.
    Last edited by Goldwaters; 05-19-09 at 06:01 PM.

  10. #170
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:26 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    86,323
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Goldwater, I understand what you are saying. From a technical standpoint you are absolutely correct. I am mostly I think saying that addiction is not a one size fits all thing. For me, and I suspect some others, the notion of disease is detrimental.

    An addict needs consistant reinforcement for the rest of thier lives.
    My persona reinforcement is Nancy Reagan, got I love that woman in a way. "Just say no" is the first thing I say every day. The above quote is true on a lot of levels, some that I cannot even come close to articulating.

Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •