View Poll Results: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Marijuana

    67 81.71%
  • Cocaine

    36 43.90%
  • LSD

    38 46.34%
  • Meth

    30 36.59%
  • Prescription drugs

    33 40.24%
  • Psychedelic mushrooms

    44 53.66%
  • Ecstasy

    35 42.68%
  • Opium

    38 46.34%
  • other

    28 34.15%
  • None of the above

    14 17.07%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 294

Thread: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

  1. #151
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:07 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    86,451
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwaters View Post
    Merhaba, nasilsin.

    I don't think the progession of the disease of addiction is any different from alchoholics to drug users....however, what I think you're seeing is the social structure that is in place to tell a drinker when they've had enough, as opposed to drug dealers who want to push as much product as they can anytime of the day or night. An example is the bartender who has to stop serving at 2:00am. And in the states you'll raise eyebrows if you're drinking before 5:00pm on a weekday. Some states don't allow alchohol purchases on Sunday. The same type of social structure may materialize for drug use if legalized
    That is a good point, but I do want to comment on one thing peripheral to what you are saying.

    I hate the idea of addiction as disease. It reeks of excuse. For me to recover, I had to accept that I had to change things, and not all of them directly related to my addiction. I guess the idea is that to recover, I had to make internal changes in myself, which had to come from me. Diseases are cured from without.

  2. #152
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    If you are going to insult me, please at least spell properly.
    I spelt that wrong deliberately, because my intent wasnt to insult i was just playing around which is why i spelt it so it could be pronounced differently to give the impression of light humour.

    People can have a few beers and I can smoke a bowl or two and call it a night. I can also, and have, dropped acid in public places. I didn't try to kill people, operate a motor vehicle, think that other individuals faces were melting or any nonsense that the propaganda machine would like you to believe. Try educating yourself on this topic and then come back.
    I dont think im the one who needs educating. Your comparing acid to addictive drugs? Haha.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  3. #153
    Advisor Tubub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    05-22-13 @ 01:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    521

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwaters View Post
    I can see why it seems that way, but in my experiencce, people who abuse hard core drugs don't always respond to or practice logic for one. I'd like to offer you the notion that in the world of drug usage, only responsible recreational users use logic. A responsible person would not increase thier drug usage to dangerous levels simply because they can. An addict will destroy thier lives most of the time either way...we call that a doom curve.
    I'm talking about people who become hardcore or recreational users from being neither. You need laws keeping drugs like heroine and amphetamines illegal... Those substances are too harmful to ever legalize.

    The weirdest thing about all of this is that I have met people who support full drug legalization but are against gun permits and the right to bear arms. So... a person has the right to put harmful substances into his body but not to protect himself? The main arguement against guns is the fact that kids get a hold of them and don't handle them properly or are pointing it at a friend when...

    so how can you say a drug like heroin would be OK to be legalized when its result is that kids are going to be more prone to its abuse and if they have broken homes.

    I'm just bringing that up... Anyway, I understand the freedom part in theory but in practice it is not so simple.
    “Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”
    -TR

  4. #154
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwaters
    Merhaba, nasilsin.
    Your the second person to write to me in Turkish today and i dont even understand what you lot are saying.
    Im familiar with this one though and wow, you spelt all that right. How did you learn that?

    I don't think the progession of the disease of addiction is any different from alchoholics to drug users....however, what I think you're seeing is the social structure that is in place to tell a drinker when they've had enough, as opposed to drug dealers who want to push as much product as they can anytime of the day or night. An example is the bartender who has to stop serving at 2:00am. And in the states you'll raise eyebrows if you're drinking before 5:00pm on a weekday. Some states don't allow alchohol purchases on Sunday. The same type of social structure may materialize for drug use if legalized
    Okay, fair enough. Thankyou for explaining.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  5. #155
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    I spelt that wrong deliberately, because my intent wasnt to insult i was just playing around which is why i spelt it so it could be pronounced differently to give the impression of light humour.
    Use emoticons.

    I dont think im the one who needs educating. Your comparing acid to addictive drugs? Haha.
    When did I compare acid to addictive drugs? I was using that as an illustration to show that some of these Scheduled substances are not as big of a danger as you suggested. Where's the danger in Psilocybin? DMT? Mescaline? LSD?

    You also failed to address my argument involving the comparison of having a few drinks to smoking a bowl.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  6. #156
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Use emoticons.
    Was hoping you'd excercise your sense of humour so i wouldnt have to

    When did I compare acid to addictive drugs? I was using that as an illustration to show that some of these Scheduled substances are not as big of a danger as you suggested. Where's the danger in Psilocybin? DMT? Mescaline? LSD?

    You also failed to address my argument involving the comparison of having a few drinks to smoking a bowl.
    Your lack of knowledge on the effects of drugs in evident in these posts. Alcohol doesnt get you high and is fine in regulated amounts. Class C drugs are fine in regulated amounts, ok. But cocaine? Heroin? I dont think you realize the harm it can do and how quickly one can become attached to it even after first time use.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  7. #157
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Your lack of knowledge on the effects of drugs in evident in these posts.
    Unsubstantiated opinion.

    Alcohol doesnt get you high and is fine in regulated amounts.
    It intoxicates and affects the part of the brain that makes judgement calls. But hey, that's no problem, right?

    Class C drugs are fine in regulated amounts, ok. But cocaine? Heroin? I dont think you realize the harm it can do and how quickly one can become attached to it even after first time use.
    Again, you are making assumptions. You can "think" that I don't understand something, but you have yet to prove it.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  8. #158
    Student Goldwaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Liberal Northern California
    Last Seen
    03-08-10 @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    266

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tubub View Post
    so how can you say a drug like heroin would be OK to be legalized when its result is that kids are going to be more prone to its abuse and if they have broken homes.
    I don't think any drugs are "okay". But what I recognize is that heroin users will not be denied. So much so they kill themselves painfully because thier addictions cause them to buy bad dope, get abscesses, up to and including OD's and so on. And broken homes sometimes influence kids to take drugs but that won't be any different if it's legal or not.

    People think of all the ills drug and alchohol use cause, but what they fail to consider is do they really know if things will get worse if they're legalized before they start saying they will.

  9. #159
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    It intoxicates and affects the part of the brain that makes judgement calls. But hey, that's no problem, right?
    So that justified legalizing drugs which is much worse then alcohol? Your contradicting yourself. As i said anyway, responsible amounts are fine.

    Again, you are making assumptions. You can "think" that I don't understand something, but you have yet to prove it.
    Try it for yourself, then.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  10. #160
    Student Goldwaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Liberal Northern California
    Last Seen
    03-08-10 @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    266

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Your the second person to write to me in Turkish today and i dont even understand what you lot are saying.
    Im familiar with this one though and wow, you spelt all that right. How did you learn that?
    I lived on Sedef in Nurtepe Kagithane (Istanbul) between 2000-2004. And I said "Hello", are you fine? I absolutely loved Turkey and wish I was still there

Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •