View Poll Results: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Marijuana

    67 81.71%
  • Cocaine

    36 43.90%
  • LSD

    38 46.34%
  • Meth

    30 36.59%
  • Prescription drugs

    33 40.24%
  • Psychedelic mushrooms

    44 53.66%
  • Ecstasy

    35 42.68%
  • Opium

    38 46.34%
  • other

    28 34.15%
  • None of the above

    14 17.07%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 294

Thread: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

  1. #141
    Student Goldwaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Liberal Northern California
    Last Seen
    03-08-10 @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    266

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I am sorry, but the idea that the brain of an addict is deficient is bull! We make a considered choice to take the pleasure with the risk. The pleasure is the important part. That theory had to come from either some one who has never been an addict, and feels bad for them, or from an addict looking to excuse his behavior. Jesus, that pisses me off. It's not bad enough I am an addict, now I am mentally deficient too...
    What you are talking about is a principle addicts are advised to avoid in recovery called "self will". The notion being that it was self will that got you to the rehab hospital. You know...it is awefully presumptuous of me to say you're an addict. You may just have been a hard partier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Now, when you are actually under the influence, you are mentally deficient, which is a whole other thing. Being high, or tripping, or drunk, makes you far too likely to make unconsidered decisions, or at least illogical. Just being an addict does not make you illogical, only directed in a certain way, which sounds like it contradicts the above paragraph, but really doesn't.
    So...does that mean you believe that legalization of drugs might result in increased usage and more cases of addiction among drug users? Cuz I still don't.

  2. #142
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:26 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    86,431
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwaters View Post
    What you are talking about is a principle addicts are advised to avoid in recovery called "self will". The notion being that it was self will that got you to the rehab hospital. You know...it is awefully presumptuous of me to say you're an addict. You may just have been a hard partier.
    No, I was a drunk, and a stoner, and an addict. I hate weasel words.


    So...does that mean you believe that legalization of drugs might result in increased usage and more cases of addiction among drug users? Cuz I still don't.
    What I guess I am saying(to get back away from self examination and depressing over that 90 % number) is that if low level addiction can cause self destructive behavior(it can), and if increased access would lead to more casual usage(I believe it would), that increased casual usage would lead to more low level addiction, and more self destructive behavior.

    Think of it this way. Alcohol is legal. Most people drink at least on occasion. Those who drink do, far too frequently while drunk, make the decision to drive. The vast majority of the time, the do not get caught...self destructive behavior without the actual destruction that your definition of addiction seems to require. If we legalize drugs, they will become more like currently legal drugs, and so I believe that usage will go up,and low level addiction will go up, with an attendant increase in self destructive behavior.

    The problem with the rehab system as it is, and as you explained it a bit, is that people don't get to rehab till they actually destruct. The pain inherent in that destruction is not a nice thing.

  3. #143
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    So is dopamine
    As is Dimethyltryptamine, the most powerful hallucinogen in existence. It is in every plant and animal, yet is Schedule I in the States.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  4. #144
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Tempting.....very tempting..
    But the druggies have a negative effect on society and their family, if they still have one...
    So do alcoholics...
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  5. #145
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,413

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tubub View Post
    Of course is these drugs were legalized they would be much more popular and used much more. If you use hardcore drugs, law will eventually reprimand you. The assurance that there is no law against using such substances would increase use. That is just basic logic.
    The world's foremost experts on the subject have been unable to find any correlation between drug laws and the rate of drug use. If you have proof of such a correlation then please share it. And please explain why the number of tobacco smokers has been steadily declining for 30 years, even though didn't implement tobacco prohibition to accomplish that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tubub View Post
    have always had a reservation for serious drugs, legalizing anything like cocaine or heroine is foolish talk and will never be reality.
    No, what's foolish is believing that prohibition actually makes the situation better in some way. What's foolish is believing that drug laws actually have some effect on the rate of drug use in spite of the fact that the world's leading experts can't find such a correlation. All the health hazards associated with drug use are good reasons why they should not be used. None of them are good reasons why they should be illegal. None.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tubub View Post
    Marijuana is a possibility and one that I support... Keep in mind that if it was legalized, billions of dollars of education about it would be necessary. People also need to understand what they are putting into their body...
    Absolutely, it would be irresponsible not to continue having drug education programs.

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Hard drugs have the same problems, although its less clear cut considering the added danger of the substances. Ideally the substance would decriminalized enough so that criminals don't make and distribute it, but be illegal enough to prohibit use.
    Prohibition doesn't make it safer, it makes it more dangerous.

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Perhaps they could be bought in the pharmacy, but it still illegal to use without a doctors approval.
    Illegal without a prescription is why most dealers are happy to sell valium, percocet, etc. Problem not solved.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    As an example, lets look at marijuana use. It is normally referred to as either nonaddictive, or very minorly addictive. And yet, you see people engaging in self destructive behavior with some frequency among those who use it.
    Do you assume that smoking marijuana is what made them that way? Or is it possibly the other way around?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Every place I have ever worked, there where people who would come to work fairly obviously high, who cover it just well enough to not get fired, and people who on lunch breaks go out and get high. This is obviously self destructive behavior.
    And that's obviously very irresponsible use of marijuana.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    By legalizing drugs, people are going to be more prone to try them, as the risk involved is no longer there, as well as a reduced social stigma. I believe this will increase the number of people with low level drug addiction, with potentially large negative effects.

    Note that most of the above is supposition based on experience(ie, educated guesswork)
    There is no evidence any of that would happen. Other countries who have decriminalized drugs didn't see the rapid increase in drug use or social acceptance of drugs that is always predicted by prohibitionists. It didn't take prohibition to turn our social attitudes around regarding tobacco. It took honest education and preseverance. Laws don't define social norms, it's the other way around.

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    But the druggies have a negative effect on society and their family, if they still have one...
    That's true, but making the problem worse through prohibition is the wrong answer. Drug addiction is a medical problem, not a criminal problem, so the criminal justice system is the wrong tool for the job.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Just as a drugy would have to deal with their addiction, you will have to deal with the consequences of legalizing it. Crime is a major source of income and your children are the new customers, are you ready for that?
    When you remove prohibition from the equation, most of the criminal problems associated with drugs disappear. That's because prohibition has caused most of them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    What I guess I am saying ... is that if low level addiction can cause self destructive behavior(it can), and if increased access would lead to more casual usage(I believe it would), that increased casual usage would lead to more low level addiction, and more self destructive behavior.
    That's perfectly logical but your 2nd premise hasn't been proven. Even the world's foremost experts can't find any data to support the myth that drug use will increase if legalized.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Think of it this way. Alcohol is legal. Most people drink at least on occasion.
    Alcohol use is common because it's socially acceptable, not because of the law.

  6. #146
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    So do alcoholics...
    Your comparing hardcore drugs to Alcohol which is pretty stoopid. They need to stay off the market, full stop. At least responsible adults can have a few bears and call it a night. Drugs harm the body well beyond what you can concieve at first glance, they are far more addictive and destructive, and cannot be degraded in an argument to the point where people say "if Alcohol is legal why not drugs?" because such a comment dont not serve to improve your point because there is no relevance between the two.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  7. #147
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:26 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    86,431
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    That's perfectly logical but your 2nd premise hasn't been proven. Even the world's foremost experts can't find any data to support the myth that drug use will increase if legalized.
    Only going to reply to two of these, the first one will cover several.

    I made it clear, and you quoted that part of what I said, that I was expressing my opinion only, based on my experiences.


    Alcohol use is common because it's socially acceptable, not because of the law.
    My premise is that if drugs are made legal, they will as a direct consequence of that act, become more socially acceptable. Alcohol and marijuana are pretty similar in a lot of ways. One is almost entirely socially accepted, one less so. I believe that this is because one is legal, the other not.

  8. #148
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Your comparing hardcore drugs to Alcohol which is pretty stoopid.
    If you are going to insult me, please at least spell properly.

    They need to stay off the market, full stop. At least responsible adults can have a few bears and call it a night. Drugs harm the body well beyond what you can concieve at first glance, they are far more addictive and destructive, and cannot be degraded in an argument to the point where people say "if Alcohol is legal why not drugs?" because such a comment dont not serve to improve your point because there is no relevance between the two.
    People can have a few beers and I can smoke a bowl or two and call it a night. I can also, and have, dropped acid in public places. I didn't try to kill people, operate a motor vehicle, think that other individuals faces were melting or any nonsense that the propaganda machine would like you to believe. Try educating yourself on this topic and then come back.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  9. #149
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,420
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Fantastic logic! Legalize Cocaine, Heroin, Meth! The fall of society begins with celtic lord!
    During the past 50 to 100 years, it has been demonstrated repeatedly that having these dangerous drugs illegal does not work, in an effective and economical manner, not any more than it worked during the prohibition days....
    Education, a good education is the thing that does work.....
    But, there will always be that insane fool who insists on drinking surfuric acid or 55 gallons of water......both acts which are legal....

  10. #150
    Student Goldwaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Liberal Northern California
    Last Seen
    03-08-10 @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    266

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Your comparing hardcore drugs to Alcohol which is pretty stoopid. They need to stay off the market, full stop. At least responsible adults can have a few bears and call it a night. Drugs harm the body well beyond what you can concieve at first glance, they are far more addictive and destructive, and cannot be degraded in an argument to the point where people say "if Alcohol is legal why not drugs?" because such a comment dont not serve to improve your point because there is no relevance between the two.
    Merhaba, nasilsin.

    I don't think the progession of the disease of addiction is any different from alchoholics to drug users....however, what I think you're seeing is the social structure that is in place to tell a drinker when they've had enough, as opposed to drug dealers who want to push as much product as they can anytime of the day or night. An example is the bartender who has to stop serving at 2:00am. And in the states you'll raise eyebrows if you're drinking before 5:00pm on a weekday. Some states don't allow alchohol purchases on Sunday. The same type of social structure may materialize for drug use if legalized

Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •