View Poll Results: Should weed be legalized in the US?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Weed should be legalized in the US.

    69 88.46%
  • No, Weed should not be legalized in the US.

    9 11.54%
  • Weed should be legalized for those whose religious beliefs dictate otherwise (like Rasta's).

    0 0%
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 135

Thread: Should weed be legalized?

  1. #1
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Should weed be legalized?

    The debate on legalizing weed in the White House continues...but would this be a good idea? Could it prompt further debate on the legalization of other class C drugs? Why should weed be made acceptable and other class C drugs not? Would this be a good idea for a productive work force in the US?

    Share your opinions.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  2. #2
    activist professor Inferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tipping Velvet
    Last Seen
    07-01-09 @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    The debate on legalizing weed in the White House continues...but would this be a good idea? Could it prompt further debate on the legalization of other class C drugs? Why should weed be made acceptable and other class C drugs not? Would this be a good idea for a productive work force in the US?

    Share your opinions.
    Yes it should. If alcohol is legal I see no reason to not make weed legal as well. I think it would cause far less problems then drinking does as the person becomes more lay back. Mellow.
    Democracy is the road to socialism. Karl Marx
    Life member NY city Fisting Club!
    I am Zoochie Purple Quivering Ghost Bear a Tiki Bar Tarte, you want some of my Panties.

  3. #3
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    01-07-15 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,067

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    Yes it should. If alcohol is legal I see no reason to not make weed legal as well. I think it would cause far less problems then drinking does as the person becomes more lay back. Mellow.
    Absolutely agree.
    Hi. TOGTFO.

  4. #4
    Student Goldwaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Liberal Northern California
    Last Seen
    03-08-10 @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    266

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    Yes it should. If alcohol is legal I see no reason to not make weed legal as well. I think it would cause far less problems then drinking does as the person becomes more lay back. Mellow.
    Even from the standpoint of alchoholics. It is good for an alchoholic to smoke weed. It tends to allow them to drink less thus possibly avoiding at least some of the destructive effects of constant alchohol consumption.

  5. #5
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:37 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    86,470
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    This will be unpopular, but to me it's just not worth the effort that legalizing it would be. There is no compelling reason that I can see to legalize it, and out of all the issues that I think face the country and need attention, it is about the least of those issues.

    Note, it would not bother me in the least if it was legalized. My argument is not that weed is bad(it is, but that is not the argument), only that the time it would take politicians to do it would be better spent elsewhere.

  6. #6
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    Yes, weed should be legalized. The fact that the government jails over one million non-violent drug users each year is absolutely asinine. The Drug War has failed miserably. 86% of high school seniors polled in 2005 said it would be "very easy" or "fairly easy" to obtain Cannabis*. Cannabis is also, by far, the most used drug in the world and is relatively harmless when used by a responsible adult. I hope to see weed legalized in the next decade.


    *Source: Monitoring the Future national survey results on drug use, 1975-2005
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  7. #7
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    This will be unpopular, but to me it's just not worth the effort that legalizing it would be. There is no compelling reason that I can see to legalize it, and out of all the issues that I think face the country and need attention, it is about the least of those issues.

    Note, it would not bother me in the least if it was legalized. My argument is not that weed is bad(it is, but that is not the argument), only that the time it would take politicians to do it would be better spent elsewhere.
    Mexican drug cartels get 70% of their revenue from marijuana, so legalizing it would absolutely cripple them and would be an important component to our Mexican foreign policy.

    The war on drugs has absolutely devastated our inner cities, so legalizing marijuana would be the first step towards completely ending such a destructive war on our own people.

    And taxing marijuana could bring in billions of dollars to the states in tax revenue.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 05-17-09 at 05:46 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  8. #8
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    The debate on legalizing weed in the White House continues...but would this be a good idea? Could it prompt further debate on the legalization of other class C drugs? Why should weed be made acceptable and other class C drugs not? Would this be a good idea for a productive work force in the US?

    Share your opinions.
    Hopefully it would prompt debate on the legalization of other drugs, when it becomes obvious that society didn't suddenly collapse after it was legalized.

    I don't think it would have much impact either way on how productive the work force is. Businesses could (and likely would) continue to ban workers from showing up to the office stoned.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  9. #9
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:37 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    86,470
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Mexican drug cartels get 70% of their revenue from marijuana, so legalizing it would absolutely cripple them and would be an important component to our Mexican foreign policy.

    The war on drugs has absolutely devastated our inner cities, so legalizing marijuana would be the first step towards completely ending such a destructive war on our own people.

    And taxing marijuana could bring in billions of dollars to the states in tax revenue.
    And debating it would tie up congress an ungodly amount of time because it is somehow "controversial". Then congress would do it wrong somehow.

    I am not suggesting that there would not be some positives from legalizing weed. There would be some negatives as well, but that is not the issue to me either. I just don't think it is worth the time and effort of congress to do it. Ten, twenty years from now, maybe, but right now there would be a ****storm if congress tried to legalize weed.

  10. #10
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    And debating it would tie up congress an ungodly amount of time because it is somehow "controversial". Then congress would do it wrong somehow.

    I am not suggesting that there would not be some positives from legalizing weed. There would be some negatives as well, but that is not the issue to me either. I just don't think it is worth the time and effort of congress to do it. Ten, twenty years from now, maybe, but right now there would be a ****storm if congress tried to legalize weed.
    About 50% of Americans are in favor of legalization. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

    A majority of Americans, in a poll released Wednesday, say it "makes sense to tax and regulate" marijuana. The Zogby poll, commissioned by the conservative-leaning O'Leary Report, surveyed 3,937 voters and found 52 percent in favor of legalization. Only 37 percent opposed.


    A previous ABC News/Washington Post poll found 46 percent in support. In California, a Field Poll found 56 percent backing legalization
    Majority Of Americans Want Pot Legalized: Zogby Poll
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •