View Poll Results: Should weed be legalized in the US?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Weed should be legalized in the US.

    69 88.46%
  • No, Weed should not be legalized in the US.

    9 11.54%
  • Weed should be legalized for those whose religious beliefs dictate otherwise (like Rasta's).

    0 0%
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 135

Thread: Should weed be legalized?

  1. #81
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,413

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    People are educated about cigarettes, do they stop smoking them? No.
    Actually, yes. Yes they do.



    Smoking and Tobacco Use | Tables, Charts, and Graphs | Office on Smoking and Health (OSH) | CDC

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Are you ignorant to the damage drugs have caused to society, it has torn people and families apart, destroyed lives, and serves no good cause to society apart from the death and destruction of many. If you had an addict in your family, to see what it does to them, you would have the sense to review such idiotic posts.
    I have two older brothers who are recovering drug addicts. One of them was addicted to crack for about 8 years. At one point he was so skinny we thought he was going to die from malnourishment. He came to live with us in Arizona when he finally decided to get clean, and he stayed in bed for days suffering from withdrawal symptoms. The other one spent the better part of his adult life in jail for non-violent drug offenses. He has tried every drug known to man. At one point he was addicted to four different narcotics at the same time. So yes, I know quite well what drugs can do to people. I watched drugs almost totally destroy their lives, and I also watched the criminal justice system do nothing but make their problems worse.

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    We wage war on drugs for a reason. Because they serve to destroy. We dont therefore legalize them, we reform our policies to combat the war more effectively. I cannot believe im reading this.
    Yes, we wage war on drugs for a reason, but the way we've been waging that war has been a failure. It's no longer a war on drugs, it's a war on drug users. When someone is strung out and addicted to drugs, they have serious problems. It does them no good whatsoever to slap them with criminal penalties on top of an already bad situation. It does nothing but cause more problems. When a solution causes more problems then it solves, it's time for another solution.

    Prohibition fails to correctly identify the drug problem as a medical problem, not a criminal problem. It's the wrong tool for the job.

  2. #82
    activist professor Inferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tipping Velvet
    Last Seen
    07-01-09 @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    The same reason I do not want any other drug legalized for recreational use. Legalization means increased availability which means increased usage and increased users. Those increased users mean they will become my problem if they decided to drive on the road,my problem if they decided they are a addict and want tax payer funded problem to help them kick the habit, my problem if employers refuse to hire junkies and they mooch off the tax payers by going on welfare, my problem if the government decides to sucker tax payers into voting for a tax increase voter initiative by raising taxes for some program that will eventually require that something else to be taxed in order to keep the program funded, my problem if they decided to have tax payer funded needle exchange programs and my problem if junkies with kids can no longer take care of their kids due to their drug habit. I am sure that will claim some bull**** that legalization will not mean increased usage. People are more than likely to try something if it is legal and they do not have to worry or suffer the consequences.
    Legalization will take control of this out of the criminals hands. It will be controlled and regulated. What could be the possible problem with this. I can think of Alcohol as being abused all the time. Weed would be no worse.
    Democracy is the road to socialism. Karl Marx
    Life member NY city Fisting Club!
    I am Zoochie Purple Quivering Ghost Bear a Tiki Bar Tarte, you want some of my Panties.

  3. #83
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Okay, lets get rid of the police force then and let everybody kill each other and themselves. Its none of our business.
    Wrong. When I take drugs, I only put myself at risk. When you murder someone, you take another individual's life without their permission. Please refrain from ridiculous hyperbolic arguments.
    Yeah exactly, imagine what putting them on the market for all to enjoy would do?
    Cut the crime rate, increase revenue for the Government, etc.
    Im not...
    You assumed that some individuals have never had a friend or family member addicted to drugs.
    Like Cocaine? Heroin? Do you know trafficers use drugs to stone up the women and sell them after they have kidnapped them? Imagine the bundles of money they will recieve after finding out they dont have to pay shed loads of money for heroin from shady sellers.
    Right. They would have to legally obtain it. Which means that they would have to put themselves at risk by buying it from a Government regulated source. Great argument.

    Im not actually suprised. I have debated with you before and its well known your slightly retarded.
    Nice. This is coming from someone who cannot spell "surprised", "receive" or "traffickers" properly.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  4. #84
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    I have two older brothers who are recovering drug addicts. One of them was addicted to crack for about 8 years. At one point he was so skinny we thought he was going to die from malnourishment. He came to live with us in Arizona when he finally decided to get clean, and he stayed in bed for days suffering from withdrawal symptoms. The other one spent the better part of his adult life in jail for non-violent drug offenses. He has tried every drug known to man. At one point he was addicted to four different narcotics at the same time. So yes, I know quite well what drugs can do to people. I watched drugs almost totally destroy their lives, and I also watched the criminal justice system do nothing but make their problems worse.
    So legalizing will help your family...how?
    Yes, we wage war on drugs for a reason, but the way we've been waging that war has been a failure. It's no longer a war on drugs, it's a war on drug users. When someone is strung out and addicted to drugs, they have serious problems. It does them no good whatsoever to slap them with criminal penalties on top of an already bad situation. It does nothing but cause more problems. When a solution causes more problems then it solves, it's time for another solution.
    Which is why the justice systems approach to drug users should change. This doesnt involve legalizing. I mean, this logic is totally wrong. It will be meet with disastrous consequences.

    Prohibition fails to correctly identify the drug problem as a medical problem, not a criminal problem. It's the wrong tool for the job.
    There is rehab for users who want to change. If they admit to using at a clinic and submit themselves to get better, they wont do time for it. Therefore the state does acknowledge it as a medical problem, of course it does. Its those who get caught they you should be worrying about.

    Educational campaigns is the reason why it has fallen. But how much lower would those stats be if we illegalized tobacco? Just a thought.
    Last edited by kaya'08; 05-19-09 at 04:54 PM.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  5. #85
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Wrong. When I take drugs, I only put myself at risk. When you murder someone, you take another individual's life without their permission. Please refrain from ridiculous hyperbolic arguments.
    Oh yes because when stoned on cocaine you dont pose a threat to society!


    Cut the crime rate, increase revenue for the Government, etc.
    You assumed that some individuals have never had a friend or family member addicted to drugs.
    From the way your talking, im narrowing that assumption to you only.

    Right. They would have to legally obtain it. Which means that they would have to put themselves at risk by buying it from a Government regulated source. Great argument.
    Put themselves at risk? Of what? Its legal! The government wont care.

    Nice. This is coming from someone who cannot spell "surprised", "receive" or "traffickers" properly.
    Debate English or politics? Do you think spelling is my priority here? Ill stop writing down "lol" too, since the word doesnt exist.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  6. #86
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:26 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    86,431
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    Binary Digit, how much of that chart is education, and how much is increased taxes making cigarettes ungodly expensive?

  7. #87
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Oh yes because when stoned on cocaine you dont pose a threat to society!
    No, you don't. You become a threat when you decide to do something that infringes upon the rights of others. Since there is no infringement, your argument fails.
    From the way your talking, im narrowing that assumption to you only.
    Then your assumption would be wrong. I have a mother with Ehlers-Danlos who is addicted to prescription painkillers. That's a LEGAL addiction, by the way. So much for your silly argument.

    Put themselves at risk? Of what? Its legal! The government wont care.
    At risk of a background check. Anyone involved with human trafficking would have a record. If you purchase drugs in a public place and you are a criminal, it's a lot easier to get busted.

    Debate English or politics? Do you think spelling is my priority here? Ill stop writing down "lol" too, since the word doesnt exist.
    Apparently it's "Try to Debate Politics, but just call people names, make assumptions and make hyperbolic and unsubstantiated arguments" to you.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  8. #88
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    This claim about permanent memory loss is almost as old as the drug war itself, but has never been substantiated that I'm aware of. Can you please provide a link to this research?
    Marijuana Affects Memory, Attention, Speech, Thinking - This is provoked by its main component, cannabinol - Softpedia

    Researchers at Rutgers University have found that the marijuana's active ingredient, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), interferes
    with the synchronized activity between neurons in the hippocampus of rats and decreases brain waves, impairing this way memory formation.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  9. #89
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    No, you don't. You become a threat when you decide to do something that infringes upon the rights of others. Since there is no infringement, your argument fails.
    My next door neigbour used to take cocaine consistently. I woke up one morning and she wasnt there. Why? Got stoned, stabbed 4 people, one being a pregnant lady, then turned the knife onto herself.

    Then your assumption would be wrong. I have a mother with Ehlers-Danlos who is addicted to prescription painkillers. That's a LEGAL addiction, by the way. So much for your silly argument.
    Theres no such thing as a legal addiction. If she was caught by authorities deliberately overdosing and they could proove it, should could go down for it. But because they are subscribed to her, it could make the prooving process harder for police, but it doesnt make it a legal addiction.

    At risk of a background check. Anyone involved with human trafficking would have a record. If you purchase drugs in a public place and you are a criminal, it's a lot easier to get busted.
    Not all human traffickers have a record enlightened one, incase you didnt know. Next.

    Apparently it's "Try to Debate Politics, but just call people names, make assumptions and make hyperbolic and unsubstantiated arguments" to you.
    Shame its not, im sure you'd feel right at home otherwise.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  10. #90
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    My next door neigbour used to take cocaine consistently. I woke up one morning and she wasnt there. Why? Got stoned, stabbed 4 people, one being a pregnant lady, then turned the knife onto herself.
    So can you prove that Cocaine made her do it? People do things like this when they're sober. It's called mental instability.

    Theres no such thing as a legal addiction. If she was caught by authorities deliberately overdosing and they could proove it, should could go down for it. But because they are subscribed to her, it could make the prooving process harder for police, but it doesnt make it a legal addiction.
    Addiction does not require overdosing, nor is addiction illegal...

    Not all human traffickers have a record enlightened one, incase you didnt know. Next.
    Not all human traffickers dope up their women, either. You've been watching "Taken", I presume.

    Shame its not, im sure you'd feel right at home otherwise.
    More nonsense? Are you really using the "I know you are but what am I?" debate tactic?
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •