View Poll Results: Should weed be legalized in the US?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Weed should be legalized in the US.

    69 88.46%
  • No, Weed should not be legalized in the US.

    9 11.54%
  • Weed should be legalized for those whose religious beliefs dictate otherwise (like Rasta's).

    0 0%
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 135

Thread: Should weed be legalized?

  1. #71
    Global Moderator
    Engagement!
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,955

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    So a company would be wrong for firing a meth addict or crack head as long as that junkie showed up to work sober even though the company doesn't want junkies working for them?
    If they are in a right to work state, most definitely they should be able to fire them for it.

    That said, I think a business would be as foolish to say...fire someone because they smoke pot off duty...as they would be to fire someone for drinking alcohol off duty.
    You down with TPP?

  2. #72
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,413

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaya'08
    The debate on legalizing weed in the White House continues...but would this be a good idea?
    No.
    Why not?


    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Why would such debates stop with the legalization of weed.
    Because such debates should not stop with the legalization of weed. We should stop waging war on drug users, that only makes the problems worse. We should wage war on drugs by reducing demand through education, like we've done fairly successfully with tobacco.


    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    I do not think that it is the Government's duty to shape policy around controlling behavior that some may find it objectionable yet harms only the individual doing it .
    I disagree with you. I could use this logic for legalizing cocaine.
    Good, because the same logic applies and the use of cocaine should not be illegal either.

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    There are many valid arguments why pot should be legalized, or at least decriminalized. I do not think that taxing the prospective "pot industry" as a new form of Government revenue is one of the better arguments for the ends of legalization; the same goes for a new "pot workforce".
    Okay. Some British politicians would disagree. Research shows it can harm your memory capacity at a later date, which is why they up-classed it to a B drug.
    This claim about permanent memory loss is almost as old as the drug war itself, but has never been substantiated that I'm aware of. Can you please provide a link to this research?

    Regardless, the argument that says "drug X is unhealthy, therefore drug X must be illegal" has never held up under scrutiny to begin with. Permanent health problems or not, no drug has ever been made safer by slapping its users with arbitrary criminal charges. There is no evidence that prohibition has any effect on lowering the rate of drug use, and there is no evidence that legalization of any drug would lead to an increase in the use of that drug.

  3. #73
    activist professor Inferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tipping Velvet
    Last Seen
    07-01-09 @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    Would someone roll me a joint please.

    There are few people of any political bent that think that pot should still be illegal. It has serves no purpose being illegal. It give the criminals a great income selling pot and other drugs. So much for the drug money for the Cartels if you legalize the stuff.
    Democracy is the road to socialism. Karl Marx
    Life member NY city Fisting Club!
    I am Zoochie Purple Quivering Ghost Bear a Tiki Bar Tarte, you want some of my Panties.

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 04:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    I see no reason, at this point in time, to keep weed illegal. Legalize it, and tax the **** out of it.

  5. #75
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,193

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    Why not?
    The same reason I do not want any other drug legalized for recreational use. Legalization means increased availability which means increased usage and increased users. Those increased users mean they will become my problem if they decided to drive on the road,my problem if they decided they are a addict and want tax payer funded problem to help them kick the habit, my problem if employers refuse to hire junkies and they mooch off the tax payers by going on welfare, my problem if the government decides to sucker tax payers into voting for a tax increase voter initiative by raising taxes for some program that will eventually require that something else to be taxed in order to keep the program funded, my problem if they decided to have tax payer funded needle exchange programs and my problem if junkies with kids can no longer take care of their kids due to their drug habit. I am sure that will claim some bull**** that legalization will not mean increased usage. People are more than likely to try something if it is legal and they do not have to worry or suffer the consequences.
    Last edited by jamesrage; 05-19-09 at 10:30 AM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  6. #76
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,413

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Legalization means increased availability which means increased usage and increased users.
    Like I said, there is no evidence that prohibition has any effect on lowering the rate of drug use, and there is no evidence that legalization of any drug would lead to an increase in the use of that drug. If you know of any such evidence, please post it, and then let these guys know:

    Quote Originally Posted by World Health Organization
    “The U.S., which has been driving much of the world’s drug research and drug policy agenda, stands out with higher levels of use of alcohol, cocaine, and cannabis, despite punitive illegal drug policies. … The Netherlands, with a less criminally punitive approach to cannabis use than the US, has experienced lower levels of use, particularly among younger adults. Clearly, by itself, a punitive policy towards possession and use accounts for limited variation in nation level rates of illegal drug use.

    The World Health Organization Documents Failure of U.S. Drug Policies
    Quote Originally Posted by CATO Institute
    "Some supporters of drug prohibition claim that its benefits are undeniable and self-evident. Their main assumption is that without prohibition drug use would skyrocket, with disastrous results. But there is little evidence for this commonly held belief. In fact, in the few cases where empirical evidence does exist it lends little support to the prediction of soaring drug use. For example, in two places in the Western world where use of small amounts of marijuana is legal--the Netherlands and Alaska--the rate of marijuana consumption is arguably lower than in the continental United States, where marijuana is banned. In 1982, 6.3 percent of American high school seniors smoked marijuana daily, but only 4 percent did so in Alaska. In 1985, 5.5 percent of American high school seniors used marijuana daily, but in the Netherlands the rate was only 0.5 percent.[6] These are hardly controlled comparisons--no such comparisons exist--but the numbers that are available do not bear out the drastic scenario portrayed by supporters of continued prohibition."

    Thinking about Drug Legalization | James Ostrowski | Cato Institute: Policy Analysis
    Quote Originally Posted by Institute of Medicine
    Sanctions against drug use are a preeminent feature of policy on illegal drugs, yet very little is known about the actual effects of these sanctions on drug use (independent of the effects of other social controls).

    Informing America's Policy on Illegal Drugs: What We Don't Know Keeps Hurting Us

    The empirical literature bearing on the declarative effects of legal sanctions is scant, mainly because it is so difficult to distinguish these effects from deterrent effects or to disentangle the effects of preexisting social norms and informal controls from the declarative effects of formally prescribed sanctions. In one of a series of studies investigating this issue, Grasmick et al. (1991) showed that an antilittering campaign increased the likelihood of compliance because people felt that violating the norm would be an occasion for shame or embarrassment. Similarly, substantial increases in seat belt use and child restraint after enactment of mandatory legal requirements appear to be attributable primarily to declarative effects (in this case, probably a pedagogical effect) rather than deterrence (Institute of Medicine, 1999). (Interestingly, proponents of so-called primary enforcement of seat belt laws—allowing a penalty for failing to wear a seat belt even if the driver has committed no other violation—argue that an increase in the deterrent threat is now needed to increase the rate of seat belt wearing beyond current levels.) No studies have successfully isolated the declarative effects of sanctions against use of illegal drugs from their deterrent effects.

    Informing America's Policy on Illegal Drugs: What We Don't Know Keeps Hurting Us

  7. #77
    Global Moderator
    Engagement!
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,955

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    So james, would you also be in favor of banning alcohol and tabacco sales? It would reduce the amount of users and abusers and all the other things you said you didn't want marijuana legalized for.
    You down with TPP?

  8. #78
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    Why not?



    Because such debates should not stop with the legalization of weed. We should stop waging war on drug users, that only makes the problems worse. We should wage war on drugs by reducing demand through education, like we've done fairly successfully with tobacco.



    Good, because the same logic applies and the use of cocaine should not be illegal either.


    This claim about permanent memory loss is almost as old as the drug war itself, but has never been substantiated that I'm aware of. Can you please provide a link to this research?

    Regardless, the argument that says "drug X is unhealthy, therefore drug X must be illegal" has never held up under scrutiny to begin with. Permanent health problems or not, no drug has ever been made safer by slapping its users with arbitrary criminal charges. There is no evidence that prohibition has any effect on lowering the rate of drug use, and there is no evidence that legalization of any drug would lead to an increase in the use of that drug.
    People are educated about cigarettes, do they stop smoking them? No. Whats going to make putting highly addictive substances on the market any different? Do you just say this stuff to stand out or something? Are you ignorant to the damage drugs have caused to society, it has torn people and families apart, destroyed lives, and serves no good cause to society apart from the death and destruction of many. If you had an addict in your family, to see what it does to them, you would have the sense to review such idiotic posts. We wage war on drugs for a reason. Because they serve to destroy. We dont therefore legalize them, we reform our policies to combat the war more effectively. I cannot believe im reading this.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  9. #79
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    People are educated about cigarettes, do they stop smoking them? No. Whats going to make putting highly addictive substances on the market any different?
    Who cares? It's not your choice to make. If someone wants to kill themselves knowingly, it is hardly your business.

    Are you ignorant to the damage drugs have caused to society, it has torn people and families apart, destroyed lives, and serves no good cause to society apart from the death and destruction of many.
    Completely unsubstantied opinion. The Drug War causes more strife for families and society than recreational drug use ever could. It's because of the War that people are taken from their homes and families destroyed.

    If you had an addict in your family, to see what it does to them, you would have the sense to review such idiotic posts.
    Stop making assumptions.

    We wage war on drugs for a reason. Because they serve to destroy.
    Again, you cannot prove your statement. I think certain drugs serve to enlighten. So now where are we?

    I cannot believe im reading this.
    Yeah, tell me about it.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  10. #80
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Who cares? It's not your choice to make. If someone wants to kill themselves knowingly, it is hardly your business.
    Okay, lets get rid of the police force then and let everybody kill each other and themselves. Its none of our business.


    Completely unsubstantied opinion. The Drug War causes more strife for families and society than recreational drug use ever could. It's because of the War that people are taken from their homes and families destroyed.
    Yeah exactly, imagine what putting them on the market for all to enjoy would do?

    Stop making assumptions.
    Im not...

    Again, you cannot prove your statement. I think certain drugs serve to enlighten. So now where are we?
    Like Cocaine? Heroin? Do you know trafficers use drugs to stone up the women and sell them after they have kidnapped them? Imagine the bundles of money they will recieve after finding out they dont have to pay shed loads of money for heroin from shady sellers.

    Yeah, tell me about it.
    Im not actually suprised. I have debated with you before and its well known your slightly retarded.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •