View Poll Results: Should weed be legalized in the US?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Weed should be legalized in the US.

    69 88.46%
  • No, Weed should not be legalized in the US.

    9 11.54%
  • Weed should be legalized for those whose religious beliefs dictate otherwise (like Rasta's).

    0 0%
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 135

Thread: Should weed be legalized?

  1. #61
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    I do not think that it is the Government's duty to shape policy around controlling behavior that some may find it objectionable yet harms only the individual doing it .
    I disagree with you. I could use this logic for legalizing cocaine.

    There are many valid arguments why pot should be legalized, or at least decriminalized. I do not think that taxing the prospective "pot industry" as a new form of Government revenue is one of the better arguments for the ends of legalization; the same goes for a new "pot workforce".
    Okay. Some British politicians would disagree. Research shows it can harm your memory capacity at a later date, which is why they up-classed it to a B drug.

    As far as taxing pot goes, the Federal Government is an over-bloated monster that needs to go on a crash-diet, not something new to eat. If pot was legalized, there wouldn't be any new "pot industry" people would just grow their own.
    Not neccessarily. If the industry can harness and grow weed and use capital to produce them 100's at a time, for cheap prices and good quality, who knows? I could say the same for agriculture but not everybody can or wants to grow there own carrots. They much rather not wait and buy it whenever they will.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  2. #62
    salmon bisque
    Saboteur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Seen
    02-20-13 @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,192

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    There's a lot of hyperbole on both sides.

    Its likely not going to greatly interefere with work.

    I'm sure you're not going to have all work places saying "You can come and be high at work". You can't be drunk at work, why would they want you high?

    So then for it to have an impact on your laziness at work you'd have to assume that somehow doing it outside of work would hurt.

    My guess is, for most people, it would be a lot like alcohol. Yeah, they may smoke after work but they're not probably going to be stoned out of their mind up till 3:00 AM toking out just like they're probably not going to be up till 3:00 **** faced and beer bonging.

    The ones that may have a problem are:

    1. The ones that already have an addicitive problem to it, with the only difference being now it'll be legal
    2. Those that have addictive problems to other things and only don't do pot due to accessability/price/legality/etc. So they're probably trading out one bad vice for another

    There's really no reason someone shouldn't be able to have one joint after work to relax for the night and get up and do fine at work the next day any more than them coming home and having a strong Jack and Coke.
    You have some good points. I drank on friday night, I had like 13 beers or so. I'm still feeling a little hungover. If I had smoked on friday instead I'd be just fine right now.
    “We must picture hell as a state where everyone is perpetually concerned about his own dignity and advancement, where everyone has a grievance, and where everyone lives with the deadly serious passions of envy, self-importance, and resentment.”
    ― C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

  3. #63
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Why would such debates stop with the legalization of weed. I do not think crack heads,meth addicts and other junkies are thinking "man if only weed was legal then I wouldn't need to do other drugs'. Booze is legal but yet every pot head thinks weed should be legal.
    That's fine, those should all be legalized too.

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage
    No because some junky will claim its their right to get ****ed up and how dare an employer refuse to hire them.
    Just because substances are legal doesn't mean that employers still can't refuse to hire someone. For example, alcohol is legal...but if I show up to work drunk, I'll probably get fired.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #64
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,184

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Just because substances are legal doesn't mean that employers still can't refuse to hire someone. For example, alcohol is legal...but if I show up to work drunk, I'll probably get fired.
    So a company would be wrong for firing a meth addict or crack head as long as that junkie showed up to work sober even though the company doesn't want junkies working for them?
    Last edited by jamesrage; 05-18-09 at 11:15 PM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  5. #65
    User Thoreau's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    09-17-09 @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    102

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post



    Okay. Some British politicians would disagree. Research shows it can harm your memory capacity at a later date, which is why they up-classed it to a B drug.
    Wrong, British politicians ignored their own scientific committee's recommendation NOT to upgrade it to class B. I am not even from the UK and I know that.

  6. #66
    User Thoreau's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    09-17-09 @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    102

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    So a company would be wrong for firing a meth addict or crack head as long as that junkie showed up to work sober even though the company doesn't want junkies working for them?
    I support employer's rights, so they can fire any unproductive employees.

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau View Post
    I support employer's rights, so they can fire any unproductive employees.
    Employers should be able to fire anyone for any reason; it's their money and their property. A business owner shouldn't have to justify his/her hiring practices to the government.

  8. #68
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,184

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau View Post
    I support employer's rights, so they can fire any unproductive employees.
    A junkie may not necessarily be unproductive if he shows up to work sober. Should a employer still be able to fire that worker if that worker pisses hot?
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  9. #69
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    So a company would be wrong for firing a meth addict or crack head as long as that junkie showed up to work sober even though the company doesn't want junkies working for them?
    Nope. The legality of a substance has nothing to do with whether or not you can be fired for it. In most states, employers can fire people for any reason they want (except for a few civil rights issues)...or for no reason at all.

    They could fire someone for being a meth addict even if they were sober at work...just like they could fire someone for being an alcoholic who was sober at work.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #70
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,666

    Re: Should weed be legalized?

    Yes, of course it should be legalized.

    I am prepared to do my service to the cause and embark on a months long journey to scientifically prove just why weed should be legal. It's a sacrifice, but damn it, it'll be worth it.
    Is what you're living for today, worth dying for tomorrow?
    _____________________________________________

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •