View Poll Results: So, should parents be allowed to refuse life saving treatment for their children?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, parents should be allowed

    31 21.83%
  • No, parents should not be allowed

    97 68.31%
  • I don't know

    14 9.86%
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 181

Thread: Should parents be allowed to refuse life saving treatment for their children?

  1. #81
    activist professor Inferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tipping Velvet
    Last Seen
    07-01-09 @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Should parents be allowed to refuse life saving treatment for their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    No parents should not be allowed to refuse life saving treatment for their children. We do not allow parents to beat the living **** out of their kids,let them let their kids walk around nude, and let them starve their children to death. So why on earth would we allow parents to basically kill their children by letting them not get life saving treatment.
    I think it is important to define what life saving is. I don't consider Chemo life saving as most of the time it does little.
    Democracy is the road to socialism. Karl Marx
    Life member NY city Fisting Club!
    I am Zoochie Purple Quivering Ghost Bear a Tiki Bar Tarte, you want some of my Panties.

  2. #82
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: Should parents be allowed to refuse life saving treatment for their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    To say the idea that a parent might make such a decision is disquieting in the extreme. However, as one who is of the opinion that life is more than a detectable heartbeat and brainwave activity, that life is also a matter the values by which we order our lives (and, as parents, our children's lives), I am even more disquieted by the notion that a parent's values and their decisions on how to order their child's life could be subject to the review of a court.
    When a parent's decisions, whatever they are based on, put a child's life in danger somebody has to step in. I once reported a couple who would not bring their child to the emergency room after several of their neighbors and friends told them their child was very sick. Social services, the cops and paramedics arrived. Their daughter had pneumonia. Those parents apologized to us and thanked us for our intervention. Without our help their 4 year old daughter would have died.

    I would do it again in a heartbeat. I'd report you, a relative or anyone else who refused to provide medical care for their child.

    You do not have the right to not provide medical care for a child of yours. Especially life saving medical care. As others have said, we're not talking about an aspirin or cold medicine. We're talking about life threatening situations.
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  3. #83
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Should parents be allowed to refuse life saving treatment for their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    You do not have the right to not provide medical care for a child of yours. Especially life saving medical care. As others have said, we're not talking about an aspirin or cold medicine. We're talking about life threatening situations.
    1. Chemotherapy is not necessarily "life saving". Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it kills the patient before the tumor.
    2. The parents made a choice to pursue alternative treatments. Your example fails because yours was a case of inaction, not action with which you personally disagree. A better example would be defending calling CPS because a parent gave a child Extra Strength Tylenol instead of Advil.

  4. #84
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Should parents be allowed to refuse life saving treatment for their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Chemotherapy is not necessarily "life saving". Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it kills the patient before the tumor.
    It has the best chance of working of any available option. If there is an equally viable option, then the parents should be able to pick from amongst them.

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord
    The parents made a choice to pursue alternative treatments. Your example fails because yours was a case of inaction, not action with which you personally disagree. A better example would be defending calling CPS because a parent gave a child Extra Strength Tylenol instead of Advil.
    Their "alternative treatments" are no different than doing absolutely nothing; in either case the result will be the death of their child. And please spare me the defense of the effectiveness of pseudoscientific quack medicine again...believe me, you don't want to go down that road.

    Do you believe that parents should be allowed to do nothing at all when their child is gravely ill? How is that any different than denying them food?
    Last edited by Kandahar; 05-16-09 at 09:56 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #85
    activist professor Inferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tipping Velvet
    Last Seen
    07-01-09 @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Should parents be allowed to refuse life saving treatment for their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    It has the best chance of working of any available option. If there is an equally viable option, then the parents should be able to pick from amongst them.



    Their "alternative treatments" are no different than doing absolutely nothing; in either case the result will be the death of their child. Do you believe that parents should be allowed to do nothing at all when their child is gravely ill? How is that any different than denying them food?
    What you would be asking is that parents experiment on their children. I can't go along with the Chemo idea. I can go along with other things though.
    Democracy is the road to socialism. Karl Marx
    Life member NY city Fisting Club!
    I am Zoochie Purple Quivering Ghost Bear a Tiki Bar Tarte, you want some of my Panties.

  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should parents be allowed to refuse life saving treatment for their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    It has the best chance of working of any available option. If there is an equally viable option, then the parents should be able to pick from amongst them.

    Their "alternative treatments" are no different than doing absolutely nothing; in either case the result will be the death of their child. Do you believe that parents should be allowed to do nothing at all when their child is gravely ill? How is that any different than denying them food?
    Terry Schiavo?

  7. #87
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:13 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    86,336
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should parents be allowed to refuse life saving treatment for their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Do you believe that parents should be allowed to do nothing at all when their child is gravely ill? How is that any different than denying them food?
    Denying food is clearly actively harmful to a child. It is easy to legislate. For medical treatments, it is nearly impossible to legislate due to too many other factors. The best you can do is legislate some one to make the decision on medical care for children. Who do you propose to trust to make the best informed decision on a child's welfare, if not the parents?

  8. #88
    activist professor Inferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tipping Velvet
    Last Seen
    07-01-09 @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Should parents be allowed to refuse life saving treatment for their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Terry Schiavo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Denying food is clearly actively harmful to a child. It is easy to legislate. For medical treatments, it is nearly impossible to legislate due to too many other factors. The best you can do is legislate some one to make the decision on medical care for children. Who do you propose to trust to make the best informed decision on a child's welfare, if not the parents?
    The denial of food is asinine in my opinion. When i say that i want to end my life as in euthanasia I don't mean for my partner to starve me to death.

    Parents that would withhold food from a child should be put behind bars. That is in no way a medical treatment that is barbarism at it's finest.
    Democracy is the road to socialism. Karl Marx
    Life member NY city Fisting Club!
    I am Zoochie Purple Quivering Ghost Bear a Tiki Bar Tarte, you want some of my Panties.

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should parents be allowed to refuse life saving treatment for their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    The denial of food is asinine in my opinion. When i say that i want to end my life as in euthanasia I don't mean for my partner to starve me to death.

    Parents that would withhold food from a child should be put behind bars. That is in no way a medical treatment that is barbarism at it's finest.
    When I think of exersising a right to die, I have a picture of a doctor injecting something into the IV tube and the patient seemingly going to sleep in peace.

    Denying food, even if through a feeding tube, is barbaric, I agree.
    Last edited by Jerry; 05-16-09 at 10:08 PM.

  10. #90
    activist professor Inferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tipping Velvet
    Last Seen
    07-01-09 @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Should parents be allowed to refuse life saving treatment for their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    When I think of exersising a right to die, I have a picture of a doctor injecting something into the IV tube and the patient seemingly going to sleep in peace.

    Denying food, even if through a feeding tube, is barbaric, I agree.
    You are so correct. I have an image of death in peace maybe kissing or holding a loved one. Not fighting with your own body as you die a slow pain filled death from lack of food or water. This is beyond reason.
    Democracy is the road to socialism. Karl Marx
    Life member NY city Fisting Club!
    I am Zoochie Purple Quivering Ghost Bear a Tiki Bar Tarte, you want some of my Panties.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •