View Poll Results: So, should parents be allowed to refuse life saving treatment for their children?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, parents should be allowed

    31 21.83%
  • No, parents should not be allowed

    97 68.31%
  • I don't know

    14 9.86%
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 181

Thread: Should parents be allowed to refuse life saving treatment for their children?

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Should parents be allowed to refuse life saving treatment for their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I do not think there is a lot of dispute that there has to be a balance point. What is in dispute is where the balance point is. I think we all agree that starving a child is a crime, and can and should cost a parent the right to care for their child. What I think a very few of us are arguing(and we are an odd coalition who don't agree on much outside this issue) is that when it comes to making medical decisions for children, the balance point is directly under the parents. They should have sole discretion in making those decisions simply because the government has no place making the decision.
    No person should retain sole discretion over another person's very existence.

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should parents be allowed to refuse life saving treatment for their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Funny thing, that, because children aren't bridges; that they are in anyway analogous to a piece of property is objectionable. Now, I'm certainly no nanny-government, liberal busy-body, but the idea of completely and utterly surrendering a child's will to their parents as if the child were nothing more than a piece of property is extreme and contrary to the law - both in letter and spirit.

    Parents absolutely have a legitimate role in dictating and supervising the development of their children, indeed, parents are the most essential form of government a society has, but children are also part of a society, and they too have rights; granted, they are able to exercise them to a lesser extent than others, but they still retain the most fundamental ones, and one of the very few legitimate functions of government is to protect our rights. Obviously, a balance must be struck between the rights of parents and children but the parents' rights are anything but absolute, nor are the child's nonexistent.
    That's my position precicly.

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should parents be allowed to refuse life saving treatment for their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    No person should retain sole discretion over another person's very existence.
    ...Terry Schiavo....just sayin.....

  4. #124
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Should parents be allowed to refuse life saving treatment for their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    That's my position precicly.
    So, you're not arguing the "right" of parents to make a decision which will effectively end their child's life?

    ...Terry Schiavo....just sayin.....
    And it was immoral. What's your point?

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should parents be allowed to refuse life saving treatment for their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    So, you're not arguing the "right" of parents to make a decision which will effectively end their child's life?
    Of course I am, but I'm also recognizing that those rights are not absolute.

    I've already said many times on this thread that I am open to any argument which can establish a "compelling state interest" and interfere with the parent's right in the "care, control and custody" of their children (per Troxil).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    And it was immoral. What's your point?
    Just an example

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Should parents be allowed to refuse life saving treatment for their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Of course I am, but I'm also recognizing that those rights are not absolute.
    A more accurate descriptor of those rights would be "nonexistent". You cannot make a choice which will knowingly result in their death of your child, period.

    I've already said many times on this thread that I am open to any argument which can establish a "compelling state interest" and interfere with the parent's right in the "care, control and custody" of their children (per Troxil).
    Would you consider the article in question a case of a "compelling state interest"?

    Just an example
    Noted. I'm still not sure that I see its relevance.

  7. #127
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    86,338
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should parents be allowed to refuse life saving treatment for their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    No person should retain sole discretion over another person's very existence.
    True, and I don't think any one is suggesting otherwise. However, the government does not belong involved in medical decisions.

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Should parents be allowed to refuse life saving treatment for their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    True, and I don't think any one is suggesting otherwise.
    No, you are suggesting precisely otherwise. Parents cannot refuse their child life-saving treatment for any reason. In the event that they do refuse, it is incumbent upon society to act via government proxy and rectify the situation. The statement, "the government does not belong involved in medical decisions" does not stand on its own logic. The government can legitimately involve itself in anything characterized by a "compelling state interest".

  9. #129
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    86,338
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should parents be allowed to refuse life saving treatment for their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    No, you are suggesting precisely otherwise. Parents cannot refuse their child life-saving treatment for any reason. In the event that they do refuse, it is incumbent upon society to act via government proxy and rectify the situation. The statement, "the government does not belong involved in medical decisions" does not stand on its own logic. The government can legitimately involve itself in anything characterized by a "compelling state interest".
    You are suggesting that any such decision would be clear cut. It won't be. But once you let the government in that door you never know when some one, with the best of intentions, will be there making the wrong decisions for your family.

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Should parents be allowed to refuse life saving treatment for their children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You are suggesting that any such decision would be clear cut.
    This is a blatant lie. I said precisely the opposite in my first post:

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    It depends on the situation. Sometimes MDs will have good faith disagreements over the best course of treatment, so the "life-saving treatment" that a patient requires is not always so clear-cut. However, when several MDs reach a consensus the parents better have an air-tight, medically sound argument if they wish to refuse treatment. Should they refuse treatment on any grounds besides valid medical considerations they should be summarily ignored.
    But once you let the government in that door you never know when some one, with the best of intentions, will be there making the wrong decisions for your family.
    I repeat: The government can legitimately involve itself in anything characterized by a "compelling state interest".

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •