View Poll Results: Do you believe that psychedelic drugs can bring spiritual growth or development?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I do.

    11 61.11%
  • No, I do not.

    4 22.22%
  • I'm not quite sure.

    3 16.67%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Psychedelics and Spirituality?

  1. #1
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Psychedelics and Spirituality?

    Do you believe that psychedelics can bring spiritual growth or development with their ingestion? Please explain why or why not.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  2. #2
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 10:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Psychedelics and Spirituality?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Do you believe that psychedelics can bring spiritual growth or development with their ingestion? Please explain why or why not.
    I agree completely. I was never really a spiritual person and I didn't really question existence until my first psychedelic experience with Salvia. It made me question a lot of things. I imagine that it would with most people.

  3. #3
    activist professor Inferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tipping Velvet
    Last Seen
    07-01-09 @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Psychedelics and Spirituality?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Do you believe that psychedelics can bring spiritual growth or development with their ingestion? Please explain why or why not.
    If I recall correctly I thought They just made me see nice colors and feel very strange inside. I felt like marshmallow fluff once. I don't think it was a spiritual experience at all.
    Democracy is the road to socialism. Karl Marx
    Life member NY city Fisting Club!
    I am Zoochie Purple Quivering Ghost Bear a Tiki Bar Tarte, you want some of my Panties.

  4. #4
    activist professor Inferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tipping Velvet
    Last Seen
    07-01-09 @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Psychedelics and Spirituality?

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    I agree completely. I was never really a spiritual person and I didn't really question existence until my first psychedelic experience with Salvia. It made me question a lot of things. I imagine that it would with most people.
    Question what was up and what was down. Yes it did make me question. It also made me able to see the notes coming out of the guitars at concerts.
    Democracy is the road to socialism. Karl Marx
    Life member NY city Fisting Club!
    I am Zoochie Purple Quivering Ghost Bear a Tiki Bar Tarte, you want some of my Panties.

  5. #5
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Psychedelics and Spirituality?

    I personally believe that psychedelics have a spiritual purpose. Shamans in South America use Ayahuasca and Psilocybin in religious ceremonies and psychedelics have been used throughout time immemorial to bend and alter the way human beings perceive reality. I, an atheist, found my spiritual side through LSD and Psilocybin consumption. Just curious to see what DPers think.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  6. #6
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 10:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Psychedelics and Spirituality?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    I personally believe that psychedelics have a spiritual purpose. Shamans in South America use Ayahuasca and Psilocybin in religious ceremonies and psychedelics have been used throughout time immemorial to bend and alter the way human beings perceive reality. I, an atheist, found my spiritual side through LSD and Psilocybin consumption. Just curious to see what DPers think.
    As silly as it may sound, it's actually made me a far more positive person in life.

  7. #7
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Psychedelics and Spirituality?

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    As silly as it may sound, it's actually made me a far more positive person in life.
    It will only sound silly to those who have not experienced it. My first LSD experience involved me becoming every person who had ever lived, was living at the time, and would live in the future. An experience of that magnitude never really leaves you.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  8. #8
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 10:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Psychedelics and Spirituality?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    It will only sound silly to those who have not experienced it. My first LSD experience involved me becoming every person who had ever lived, was living at the time, and would live in the future. An experience of that magnitude never really leaves you.
    That sounds amazing! I've been dying to try LSD for a long time.

  9. #9
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Psychedelics and Spirituality?

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    That sounds amazing! I've been dying to try LSD for a long time.
    Yeah, LSD is quite amazing if you are prepared. My next foray into the psychedelic realm will be with Mescaline. If you have not read The Doors of Perception by Aldous Huxley, I strongly suggest that you do so. In said essay, he quotes a Cambridge philosopher who theorizes that our sensory organs act as reducing valves. Thus, we recieve and obtain only information we can comprehend. By ingesting psychedelics, these reducing valves are opened slightly, allowing us to obtain information otherwise unavailable to human beings. Very intriguing.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  10. #10
    activist professor Inferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tipping Velvet
    Last Seen
    07-01-09 @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Psychedelics and Spirituality?

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    That sounds amazing! I've been dying to try LSD for a long time.
    It is an interesting experience.

    I do have a question for the OP. When you say spiritual experience what are you using for your point of reference?
    Democracy is the road to socialism. Karl Marx
    Life member NY city Fisting Club!
    I am Zoochie Purple Quivering Ghost Bear a Tiki Bar Tarte, you want some of my Panties.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •