View Poll Results: Do you believe that psychedelic drugs can bring spiritual growth or development?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I do.

    11 61.11%
  • No, I do not.

    4 22.22%
  • I'm not quite sure.

    3 16.67%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: Psychedelics and Spirituality?

  1. #11
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 10:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Psychedelics and Spirituality?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Yeah, LSD is quite amazing if you are prepared. My next foray into the psychedelic realm will be with Mescaline. If you have not read The Doors of Perception by Aldous Huxley, I strongly suggest that you do so. In said essay, he quotes a Cambridge philosopher who theorizes that our sensory organs act as reducing valves. Thus, we recieve and obtain only information we can comprehend. By ingesting psychedelics, these reducing valves are opened slightly, allowing us to obtain information otherwise unavailable to human beings. Very intriguing.
    Very intriguing indeed. I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

  2. #12
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Psychedelics and Spirituality?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    It is an interesting experience.

    I do have a question for the OP. When you say spiritual experience what are you using for your point of reference?
    I guess something that defies reality. That would by my definition for a "spiritual experience".
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  3. #13
    activist professor Inferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tipping Velvet
    Last Seen
    07-01-09 @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Psychedelics and Spirituality?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    I guess something that defies reality. That would by my definition for a "spiritual experience".
    I can say that in ways some of my experiences defied reality but I never felt that any of these were particularly spiritual. I have heard people say that under the influence of "acid" they saw god. I am not certain what that meant to them either.
    Democracy is the road to socialism. Karl Marx
    Life member NY city Fisting Club!
    I am Zoochie Purple Quivering Ghost Bear a Tiki Bar Tarte, you want some of my Panties.

  4. #14
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Psychedelics and Spirituality?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    I can say that in ways some of my experiences defied reality but I never felt that any of these were particularly spiritual. I have heard people say that under the influence of "acid" they saw god. I am not certain what that meant to them either.
    Spiritual, according to the dictionary, can mean a lot of different things.:

    spir⋅it⋅u⋅al

    1. of, pertaining to, or consisting of spirit; incorporeal. 2. of or pertaining to the spirit or soul, as distinguished from the physical nature: a spiritual approach to life. 3. closely akin in interests, attitude, outlook, etc.: the professor's spiritual heir in linguistics. 4. of or pertaining to spirits or to spiritualists; supernatural or spiritualistic. 5. characterized by or suggesting predominance of the spirit; ethereal or delicately refined: She is more of a spiritual type than her rowdy brother. 6. of or pertaining to the spirit as the seat of the moral or religious nature. 7. of or pertaining to sacred things or matters; religious; devotional; sacred. 8. of or belonging to the church; ecclesiastical: lords spiritual and temporal. 9. of or relating to the mind or intellect.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  5. #15
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    86,496
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Psychedelics and Spirituality?

    I did psychedelics with some frequency for about 20 years. There were times that I felt something that could be called "spiritual", but then again, I felt a lot of different things while high/tripping. These spiritual feelings where fleeting and not at all consistent. I would not really connect psychedelics and spirituality myself, any more than I would connect psychedelics and paranoia, even though that feeling was much more common. When you do things to yourself that tend to create random, strong emotional reactions, you will have strong emotional reactions, but the specifics are not the result of the drug. Not sure if that is clear or not, I am trying my best though.

  6. #16
    activist professor Inferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tipping Velvet
    Last Seen
    07-01-09 @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Psychedelics and Spirituality?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Spiritual, according to the dictionary, can mean a lot of different things.:

    spir⋅it⋅u⋅al

    1. of, pertaining to, or consisting of spirit; incorporeal. 2. of or pertaining to the spirit or soul, as distinguished from the physical nature: a spiritual approach to life. 3. closely akin in interests, attitude, outlook, etc.: the professor's spiritual heir in linguistics. 4. of or pertaining to spirits or to spiritualists; supernatural or spiritualistic. 5. characterized by or suggesting predominance of the spirit; ethereal or delicately refined: She is more of a spiritual type than her rowdy brother. 6. of or pertaining to the spirit as the seat of the moral or religious nature. 7. of or pertaining to sacred things or matters; religious; devotional; sacred. 8. of or belonging to the church; ecclesiastical: lords spiritual and temporal. 9. of or relating to the mind or intellect.
    This is why i am asking as to what type of experience do you mean. The realm gets fairly large out there and it is easy to be talking about what your or I see as spiritual and be talking two totally different things.
    Democracy is the road to socialism. Karl Marx
    Life member NY city Fisting Club!
    I am Zoochie Purple Quivering Ghost Bear a Tiki Bar Tarte, you want some of my Panties.

  7. #17
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Psychedelics and Spirituality?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    This is why i am asking as to what type of experience do you mean. The realm gets fairly large out there and it is easy to be talking about what your or I see as spiritual and be talking two totally different things.
    Specifically, it spurred an interest in philosophy and metaphysics. I now have an unshakable, and unprovable, belief in the Eastern philosophical concept of the Oversoul.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  8. #18
    activist professor Inferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tipping Velvet
    Last Seen
    07-01-09 @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Psychedelics and Spirituality?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Specifically, it spurred an interest in philosophy and metaphysics. I now have an unshakable, and unprovable, belief in the Eastern philosophical concept of the Oversoul.
    That is very good. Many people did acquire a taste for faith when then travel mind journeys to the strings of illusion.

    I myself found no such feelings. i have since i was a little girl been far away from any spiritual concept.
    Democracy is the road to socialism. Karl Marx
    Life member NY city Fisting Club!
    I am Zoochie Purple Quivering Ghost Bear a Tiki Bar Tarte, you want some of my Panties.

  9. #19
    Your Huckleberry
    Lachean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in VR
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,383

    Re: Psychedelics and Spirituality?

    I've personally had spiritual experiences with psychedelics in the sense that I lost my sense of self, or should I say the sense that I am distinct from the universe.

    I felt one with every person, life form, and planet in the universe; I felt that death was acceptible because the notion that I am distinct from you is an illusion; a necessary one.
    Who left the fridge open?

  10. #20
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    09-29-16 @ 07:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,422
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Psychedelics and Spirituality?

    LOL at the fact there are people here who call others who achieve spirituality through religion "delusional", but supposedly achieved it through an acid trip.
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •