View Poll Results: Does religion affect your vote?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • It is my main focus.

    1 1.49%
  • It is not the main focus but important.

    6 8.96%
  • It has some influence.

    7 10.45%
  • I mildly consider it.

    4 5.97%
  • I don't really care.

    19 28.36%
  • I think they spend to much time on this topic.

    10 14.93%
  • It is a distraction to me.

    4 5.97%
  • I wish the candidates were atheists.

    16 23.88%
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 121

Thread: Does religion affect your vote?

  1. #61
    activist professor Inferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tipping Velvet
    Last Seen
    07-01-09 @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Does religion affect your vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by justone View Post
    That is to make co-existence of corrects, incoreects, more corrects or less corrects possible there has to be an entity which, proven or not proven to exist, has to be presumed to be absolutely correct. Unfortunately for atheists it is self evident that the entity which can possibly be presumed, proven or not proven to exist, to be absolutely correct in the Nature can be only the Creator of the Nature, the One godly people believe in and godless people deny. Removing the Creator from the equation leaves you vulnerable as with my training in logic and boxing I will always prove that I am more correct than you are. Thus God acts as your only protector and the only guarantee of your rights.
    How does one decide that something that defies all logic and all the rules of nature and has really zero substantiation is absolutely correct. It would be as if I believed that the Lord of The Rings were history. Both works of fantasy.

    I can do it myself and you can't disprove it. In the beginning Inferno created the ..... How can you say with certainty that I did not. If you can't believe that with no proof how can you believe in the god of the bible?
    Democracy is the road to socialism. Karl Marx
    Life member NY city Fisting Club!
    I am Zoochie Purple Quivering Ghost Bear a Tiki Bar Tarte, you want some of my Panties.

  2. #62
    activist professor Inferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tipping Velvet
    Last Seen
    07-01-09 @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Does religion affect your vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Who is this Testiculees dude, who's been a member since 2007 with zero posts?
    He is still thinking about how he will introduce himself. Give him time. Please don't put pressure on him.
    Democracy is the road to socialism. Karl Marx
    Life member NY city Fisting Club!
    I am Zoochie Purple Quivering Ghost Bear a Tiki Bar Tarte, you want some of my Panties.

  3. #63
    Clown Prince of Politics
    Psychoclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hiding from the voices in my head.
    Last Seen
    09-26-16 @ 11:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,723

    Re: Does religion affect your vote?

    Its pretty irrelevant to me. I care about where the candidates stand on the issues, not what they personally believe in. Obviously a candidates beliefs can affect his stand on the issues and his stand on the issues will affect my views. I do think candidates should respect religion. I wouldn't vote for a militant athiest, but that's more because they tend to be as narrow minded and condescending as the worst legalistic Christians.

    I do agree with Jerry that I find it hard to understand how an athiest can believe in natural rights. However, its not a major issue for me. As long as they agree with me on policy, I'm not overly concerned about the basis of their political philosophy.
    Slipping into madness is good for the sake of comparison - Unknown.

  4. #64
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    09-25-16 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,365

    Re: Does religion affect your vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychoclown View Post
    I do agree with Jerry that I find it hard to understand how an athiest can believe in natural rights.
    I personally believe that natural rights exist without being "endowed by a Creator" because I feel that having such natural rights, such as life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are part of the natural order of things.

    One of the terms that is used in the DoA is "Nature's God".

    I like this term because I interpret it to mean a natural order of how things should be, not necessarily a deity, although a deity could easily be the causal force of this natural order.

    The natural order of things would include all things necessary for self-preservation and self autonomy. Natural Rights follow from this belief. For me, the right to bear arms is an aspect of self-preservation. The right to free speech, self-autonomy. etc. etc.

    Since, from my perspective, self-autonomy and self-preservation are necessities for the continued existence of the species, I feel that rights exist independent of outside factors.

    It follows from my belief in the existence natural order and my belief that there is a natural order is not dependent on the belief in a deity.

  5. #65
    Clown Prince of Politics
    Psychoclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hiding from the voices in my head.
    Last Seen
    09-26-16 @ 11:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,723

    Re: Does religion affect your vote?

    Thank you for the explanation. As I said it was a minor point, as I don't expect or really care what the basis is for a politician's political philosophy. As long as we agree on policy, I'm willing to support a given candidate.
    Slipping into madness is good for the sake of comparison - Unknown.

  6. #66
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    09-25-16 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,365

    Re: Does religion affect your vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychoclown View Post
    Thank you for the explanation. As I said it was a minor point, as I don't expect or really care what the basis is for a politician's political philosophy. As long as we agree on policy, I'm willing to support a given candidate.
    No problem. I just figured the explanation was worth giving in this context.

  7. #67
    activist professor Inferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tipping Velvet
    Last Seen
    07-01-09 @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Does religion affect your vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychoclown View Post
    Its pretty irrelevant to me. I care about where the candidates stand on the issues, not what they personally believe in. Obviously a candidates beliefs can affect his stand on the issues and his stand on the issues will affect my views. I do think candidates should respect religion. I wouldn't vote for a militant athiest, but that's more because they tend to be as narrow minded and condescending as the worst legalistic Christians.

    I do agree with Jerry that I find it hard to understand how an athiest can believe in natural rights. However, its not a major issue for me. As long as they agree with me on policy, I'm not overly concerned about the basis of their political philosophy.
    It really does not take religion to see that people need to have rights and are free. God really adds nothing to that. The concept of god only tells me that some people think themselves less without one. I tend to think that you are probably really a great person and get your morals and values from within and not from a god. If the idea of god brings you peace and comfort that is wonderful i ma happy for you in that.
    Democracy is the road to socialism. Karl Marx
    Life member NY city Fisting Club!
    I am Zoochie Purple Quivering Ghost Bear a Tiki Bar Tarte, you want some of my Panties.

  8. #68
    Clown Prince of Politics
    Psychoclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hiding from the voices in my head.
    Last Seen
    09-26-16 @ 11:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,723

    Re: Does religion affect your vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    It really does not take religion to see that people need to have rights and are free. God really adds nothing to that. The concept of god only tells me that some people think themselves less without one. I tend to think that you are probably really a great person and get your morals and values from within and not from a god. If the idea of god brings you peace and comfort that is wonderful i ma happy for you in that.
    You can say people need to have rights and not believe in natural, inalienable rights.

    I've seen some left wingers (not all) argue that man has no natural rights. That our rights are bestowed upon us by a benevolent government and those rights can be taken away by the same government.

    I believe we have natural rights that are inalienable and any government that seeks to take them away is illegitimate. I hold this to be an absolute truth. Most atheists I've spoken with reject the notion of absolute truths.
    Slipping into madness is good for the sake of comparison - Unknown.

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-28-10 @ 10:03 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,379

    Re: Does religion affect your vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    How does one decide that something that defies all logic and all the rules of nature and has really zero substantiation is absolutely correct. It would be as if I believed that the Lord of The Rings were history. Both works of fantasy.

    First of all you have to prove that it exists, then that it defies all logic and all the rules of nature and has really zero substantiation, and it is a work of fantasy. And while you are announcing that you have the absolute knowledge of nature I would be putting my boxing gloves on preparing my contra-argument, because you belong to those atheists for whom they are the only way of reasoning.

    People said to me: "Youve dropped a clanger -
    With his left foot Fisher comes out top
    Playing chess machines like Capablanca
    Moving as a clockwork army tanker.
    Thats okay, once roused I never stop.

    If Im running out of minutes
    I wont fret or bust a gut.
    Ill rely on strength of spirit
    And a perfect uppercut

    "Take it slow and most of all stay upright,"
    Said my boxer friend last time we spoke.
    "Hit the body, stay out of inside fights,
    Make the knockout punch your masterstroke."

    Fisher this time wont escape disaster -
    Its on the cards that Ill bring back the crown.
    I played with Tal, the Latvian grandmaster,
    Ten rounds of snooker, blackjack and canasta
    And Tal said: "I see you wont let us down."

    Oh, the bulging of my biceps!
    Ah, my deltoids hard and tight!
    See my chessmen move with light steps!
    Oh, my bishops and my knights!


    Vladimir Vysotsky

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvI0NmLmP-4"]YouTube - Владимир Высоцкий "Честь шахматной короны"[/ame]

    Thats why atheists are dangerous, - each and every of them plays god. Your post should sober up some who dont understand that atheists will certainly infringe on freedom not only of speech but even freedom of thoughts if in power, as certainly as they have demonstrated throughout history.

    Nobody decided. In the body of atheism there people who have an ability to think. Those people and all theists can have a common language independent from their beliefs. For instance, if an atheist gives a bank loan to a theist, they calculate a monthly payment in the same way using the same equation. It is called mathematics. It is self evident for such people that if to take all corrects, incorrects, more corrects or less corrects claiming so of themselves in the nature then neither of them can objectively range them in correctness at any point of the nature, but it could be done only by a hypothetical creator of the nature who would posses the absolute correctness by the definition, for whom all the numbers would be equally distant and have equal rights to exist and have their equal purpose in the created nature. The creator is a mathematical abstract at this point, it is work of fantasy as you say at this moment. Unfortunately for you we, Christians call it God and believe that this work of fantasy is real. Unfortunately for you even if the was no creator like this then the assumption of this hypothetical creator as real is the only way of making you and me equal. It is not like I would believe you or John to make us equal and maintain this equality.




    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    I can do it myself and you can't disprove it. In the beginning Inferno created the ..... How can you say with certainty that I did not. If you can't believe that with no proof how can you believe in the god of the bible?
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/religi...post1058026173

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does religion affect your vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Inexperience does not negate possibility. All people's experiences are naturally limited by various factors.

    The conclusion: I will never support an atheist

    This must be dependent on a series of premises, some of which are false:

    Premise One: Every atheist I've encountered had an outlook on policy that was alien from my own (True premise)

    Premise two: If I have never encountered something, it cannot exist (false premise)

    Premise three: I will never support a politician who's outlook on policy is alien from my own (true premise)

    Conclusion: I will never suppor tan athiest because all atheists have an outlook on policy that is alien from my own.

    Since premise two is false, the conclusion is invalid.

    Had you said: I doubt I will ever support an atheist.

    It adjusts the false premise to "If I have never encountered something, I will doubt that it exists" and validates the logic.

    And then you would have a logical conclusion.

    What you have done with your first statement is fall prey to exactly the same flawed premise that many atheists use when they argue that God does not exist.

    Adjusting the premise and conclusion to convey that it is doubt, instead of a unequivocal statement fixes that logical error.
    I accept your correction.

    If my understanding of atheism is changed, then I would be open to supporting an atheist. However as my understanding exists now, I reserve my vote.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •