View Poll Results: Does religion affect your vote?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • It is my main focus.

    1 1.49%
  • It is not the main focus but important.

    6 8.96%
  • It has some influence.

    7 10.45%
  • I mildly consider it.

    4 5.97%
  • I don't really care.

    19 28.36%
  • I think they spend to much time on this topic.

    10 14.93%
  • It is a distraction to me.

    4 5.97%
  • I wish the candidates were atheists.

    16 23.88%
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 121

Thread: Does religion affect your vote?

  1. #31
    User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    WI
    Last Seen
    07-22-09 @ 11:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    42

    Re: Does religion affect your vote?

    To me, whether or not a candidate is religious doesn't matter. My concern for religious background, or lack thereof, would only depend upon the person's policies, which is primarily what I base my vote upon anyway.

    -k
    Care to read a little? Fiction and articles viewable at:
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/use.../kj_young.html

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-04-10 @ 02:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,289

    Re: Does religion affect your vote?

    I actually worked quite hard to get a Muslim female to be picked to replace a friend who is retiring as an MP at the next general election.

    She was picked because she is a great young politician, and if she is elected(it was a very safe seat) she will be the first female Muslim MP in the house.

    I had to interview 30 or so applicants, 6 were Muslim.

    One was a speech writer for Blair, the slimy bastard only lasted 10 minutes.

  3. #33
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    09-25-16 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,365

    Re: Does religion affect your vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by missypea View Post
    Whoa! This is something that probably deserves it's own thread.


    Religion doesn't alter your personality I disagree.

    Your personality alters religion I agree.
    Religion itself can't really alter anything. It just is a set of concepts/beliefs that one subscribes to or not. A person interprets the meanings of these concepts based on their inherent personality traits which exist independent of religion.

    For example: A person who is stubborn and believes that anything that they feel is right and everyone else is wrong will be that way no matter what the specific thing they believe is.

    In the described scenario, this is what we see. A guy who thinks his views are right and all others are wrong simply because he holds them. It wouldn't matter if he was an atheist, Taoist, Buddhist, Christian, Muslim, Jew, Hindu, or toilet worshiper. He's going to be a stubborn jackass in any scenario. The specifics are irrelevant.

    The traits inherent in the person will dictate how they approach their religion. I can't even imagine a scenario where someone's personality is honestly altered because of the beliefs they hold, because to even begin holding the beliefs, there must be something within their personality that dictates it as a possibility.

    For example: Someone joins one of those crazy Heaven's Gate type of cults. The cult doesn't change their personality. It is in fact their personality, specifically their suggestibility and a desire to feel like they belong to something "greater" than themselves that makes it possible for them to become a member. All subsequent actions are just facets of this pre-existing personality trait. There me an apparent shift in personality, but it's just an extant personality trait being thrust out front.

    No religion can possibly cause someone to have a new personality trait that they never had prior to entering that religion. Not everyone has the same personality traits.

    The proof of this is the cases where people are "born" into cults. They are taught the same things as everyone else, but they do what they can to leave at the first opportunity. This is because these people lack the personality traits necessary to fall into the cult's line of thinking.


    The fact that I feel this way is the reason why religion means nothing in regards to my vote. If I hear that a politician is a practicing baptist I know nothing of them or their personality traits based on that alone. How they practice their religion may affect my vote. If they go around protesting soldiers funerals with "God hates fags" signs, they will lose my vote automatically. An Atheist who went to church gatherings with a "There is no God" sign would also lose my vote. To me, the atheist and the baptist would have the same personality traits that I abhor. Their religious affiliation does not dictate these behaviors.

    Going back to the example that was given by Obvious Child, if the person in question was an anti-theist who called any atheists who weren't militant anti-theists "Jesus-freaks" or "Bible-thumpers", I would have the same feelings as I would for the guy who calls any other from of Christianity "atheism". To me, they are the same person, with the same personality traits.

  4. #34
    Mod Apologist

    missypea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,152

    Re: Does religion affect your vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Religion itself can't really alter anything. It just is a set of concepts/beliefs that one subscribes to or not. A person interprets the meanings of these concepts based on their inherent personality traits which exist independent of religion.

    For example: A person who is stubborn and believes that anything that they feel is right and everyone else is wrong will be that way no matter what the specific thing they believe is.

    In the described scenario, this is what we see. A guy who thinks his views are right and all others are wrong simply because he holds them. It wouldn't matter if he was an atheist, Taoist, Buddhist, Christian, Muslim, Jew, Hindu, or toilet worshiper. He's going to be a stubborn jackass in any scenario. The specifics are irrelevant.

    The traits inherent in the person will dictate how they approach their religion. I can't even imagine a scenario where someone's personality is honestly altered because of the beliefs they hold, because to even begin holding the beliefs, there must be something within their personality that dictates it as a possibility.
    I disagree simply because I've seen Faith change a person from someone ugly and hateful into a caring and giving human being. Was it always there? I can't say, but there was certainly no evidence of it.


    For example: Someone joins one of those crazy Heaven's Gate type of cults. The cult doesn't change their personality. It is in fact their personality, specifically their suggestibility and a desire to feel like they belong to something "greater" than themselves that makes it possible for them to become a member. All subsequent actions are just facets of this pre-existing personality trait. There me an apparent shift in personality, but it's just an extant personality trait being thrust out front.

    No religion can possibly cause someone to have a new personality trait that they never had prior to entering that religion. Not everyone has the same personality traits.
    In this case I'm talking more along the lines of the “brainwashing” that can occur. The Stockholm Syndrome of religion.

    I don't know. It just doesn't ring true to me to say that 'no religion can cause someone to have a new personality trait'.

    The proof of this is the cases where people are "born" into cults. They are taught the same things as everyone else, but they do what they can to leave at the first opportunity. This is because these people lack the personality traits necessary to fall into the cult's line of thinking.
    Okay, I found myself nodding my head and agreeing with you on this <above>. I don't think that everyone is the same which is why I struggled with your statement that no religion can cause someone to have a new personality trait.

    I think what you're saying is that the trait was always there, even if it wasn't clearly revealed?

    If so, that puts a different twist on it for me.



    The fact that I feel this way is the reason why religion means nothing in regards to my vote. If I hear that a politician is a practicing baptist I know nothing of them or their personality traits based on that alone. How they practice their religion may affect my vote. If they go around protesting soldiers funerals with "God hates fags" signs, they will lose my vote automatically. An Atheist who went to church gatherings with a "There is no God" sign would also lose my vote. To me, the atheist and the baptist would have the same personality traits that I abhor. Their religious affiliation does not dictate these behaviors.
    I also agree with this.


    I would chat with her when I'm feeling particularly snarky, but I wouldn't ever call her on the phone.

  5. #35
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    09-25-16 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,365

    Re: Does religion affect your vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by missypea View Post
    I think what you're saying is that the trait was always there, even if it wasn't clearly revealed?

    If so, that puts a different twist on it for me.
    That's basically what I'm saying. Using the example of going from ugly and hateful to generous and caring, the trait must exist in order for the "ugly and hateful" person to seek the change in the first place.

    Religion, or more specifically, the guidance given by the religious community, may foster that trait, but if the person doesn't want to receive the guidance, they will not. It still comes from within that person. They must want to change and have the ability to change before they ever will change. Religion may act as a "catalyst", but from the start, the person who seeks the change is the one who decided to add that catalyst into the mix.

  6. #36
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    04-04-14 @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,233

    Re: Does religion affect your vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogger807 View Post
    I've said before that the people on this forum have a higher IQ than the norm for our population. I think the replies on this particular thread show this, especially in light of the polls that state atheists are so mistrusted. Not one person so far has stated they would not vote for someone because they lacked a religion.

    That's not to say there aren't those who admitted religion plays a role in their decision.

    Maybe my assessment of another generation til we have an openly atheistic president is to conservative.
    Don't get me wrong if you asked me in general would I vote for an Christian over an Atheist then I'd say certainly yes and I'd vote for an Anglican over any one else but when one looks at specific candidates there is a lot to influence one besides this. But still I'd love to see no Atheist or Agnostic British politicians.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  7. #37
    Global Moderator
    Engagement!
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,944

    Re: Does religion affect your vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    I know for me it means nothing. I would rather have a candidate that says he or she is an atheist then a believer. I know this is unlikely to happen in my lifetime here in the US.
    Wouldn't this actually mean that religion DOES affect your vote though, IE, it affects it in such a way that you view someone that doesn't have religion as being a bonus over someone that does. That is religion affecting your vote, just in the opposite way that you're presenting.

    For me I'm in line with Celtic Lord. I feel in general more comfortable with someone that has belief in SOMETHING simply because that is what the majority of this country feels and I feel that will best represent them. That said, I'd take a realistic and grounded athiest over an extreme christian/muslim/jew/zoroastrian/scientoligist any day of the week. I don't really feel comfortable with "zealotous" people in power be they Christian or Athiest.

    So religion, or belief to a better description, matters to me when I vote but it is one on a list of things that does.
    You down with TPP?

  8. #38
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    09-25-16 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,365

    Re: Does religion affect your vote?

    You wouldn't vote for me, zyph?

    j/k. I wouldn't vote for me!

  9. #39
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    09-12-16 @ 08:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,513

    Re: Does religion affect your vote?

    I prefer honest athiests to those christians whose ethics are situational....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  10. #40
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    09-25-16 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,365

    Re: Does religion affect your vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    I prefer honest athiests to those christians whose ethics are situational....
    You'd vote for me?!?!?!??!


Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •