View Poll Results: Drug War stance.

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stay the Course.

    0 0%
  • Amp up the Drug War.

    1 2.38%
  • Demand/Harm reduction.

    1 2.38%
  • Legalize marijuana/soft drugs.

    7 16.67%
  • Decriminalization.

    4 9.52%
  • Full Legalization.

    27 64.29%
  • Medical Marijuana.

    0 0%
  • Other.

    2 4.76%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 51

Thread: The Drug War.

  1. #31
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    86,481
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The Drug War.

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    lol.

    I'm not really going anywhere with it. I just rarely see people that used drugs and stopped that found the drug war was was much use in their own personal battle.

    The biggest problem I find with the drug war is social programs allow people to hide their problems for too long making it into a bigger problem then it otherwise would be. Even though I have reservations legalizing hard drugs, I don't see anything beneficial about a drug war in the current nanny state climate.
    Interestingly, at least to me, is that I credit Nancy Reagan as the person who most helped me overcome those demons, despite the fact that I am a die hard liberal. Overcoming addictions(and addictions comes in more than one flavor) is hard. While I was struggling with the physical and emotional and mental pain, thinking about how hard it was, I started remembering Nancy Reagan, "Just say no". It sounded so simple, and doable. I am not sure if I would have made it without that simple message.

    But anyway, as to what you are saying directly. The legal aspect did play a part. Getting drugs is not hard, but if you do it enough, you will get busted. Also, with it being illegal, you are going to get ripped off, and you are going to go into potentially risky situations. These are a definite discouragement to using.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    48,256

    Re: The Drug War.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau View Post
    No, empirical evidence says otherwise. Like I said, Tobacco is the most addictive drug, and it is legal for those 18 and older. Yet tobacco use in this country decreases to the lowest level on record each and every year. This is because of education and the fact that smelling like burnt popcorn and ammonia is not seen as cool or sexy any more.
    It also may have a little something something to do with the price.

    But the point is that the ideal drug for a pharmaceutical company would be one that didn't kill you quickly, that didn't completely wreck your productivity (gotta still be able to go to work and make money), and that is completely addicting after the first use. Something like that would garner wide use.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #33
    User Thoreau's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    09-17-09 @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    102

    Re: The Drug War.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It also may have a little something something to do with the price.

    But the point is that the ideal drug for a pharmaceutical company would be one that didn't kill you quickly, that didn't completely wreck your productivity (gotta still be able to go to work and make money), and that is completely addicting after the first use. Something like that would garner wide use.
    Sounds like science fiction to me... But I will go with it. What stops a scientist of creating the cure or a treatment?

  4. #34
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    48,256

    Re: The Drug War.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau View Post
    Sounds like science fiction to me... But I will go with it. What stops a scientist of creating the cure or a treatment?
    That would be even better. Then you can make money on the product, and on the cure. Good thinking!
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #35
    User Thoreau's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    09-17-09 @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    102

    Re: The Drug War.

    I cannot believe how lopsided the results are. If I did this poll at the other forum I frequent, I would get majority support for option 1 and 2.

  6. #36
    User the sine cura's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Last Seen
    08-12-10 @ 12:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36

    Re: The Drug War.

    Full legalization. People have the right to put what they want in their bodies. Of course, driving high would be illegal, as it is the same as drunk driving. It's that simple.
    "Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission, ignorance, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite. All of which are American Dreams..." - Know Your Enemy by Rage Against the Machine, 1992

  7. #37
    Student
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Last Seen
    09-10-09 @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    166

    Re: The Drug War.

    I support full decriminilization of all drugs. Government should not be able to dictate what one person can or cannot place in their bodies. Additionally i support decriminilization because it will save the tax payers literally billions of dollars that are wasted on this so called war. Prohibition has never and will never work.

  8. #38
    User Thoreau's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    09-17-09 @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    102

    Re: The Drug War.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    That would be even better. Then you can make money on the product, and on the cure. Good thinking!
    Your kind of a sicko, huh?

  9. #39
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    13,790

    Re: The Drug War.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Interestingly, at least to me, is that I credit Nancy Reagan as the person who most helped me overcome those demons, despite the fact that I am a die hard liberal. Overcoming addictions(and addictions comes in more than one flavor) is hard. While I was struggling with the physical and emotional and mental pain, thinking about how hard it was, I started remembering Nancy Reagan, "Just say no". It sounded so simple, and doable. I am not sure if I would have made it without that simple message.
    The actual interesting part is this is an example of using education to minimize drug use and has nothing to do with an argument in favor of a drug war as a way of helping the situation.

    But anyway, as to what you are saying directly. The legal aspect did play a part. Getting drugs is not hard, but if you do it enough, you will get busted. Also, with it being illegal, you are going to get ripped off, and you are going to go into potentially risky situations. These are a definite discouragement to using.
    Those are the pervasive reasons why the drug war is bad. Everything you describe was also a byproduct of prohibition and was ended with the end of prohibition. I see no benefit in people getting ripped off or being put in potentially risky situation and now that I am a parent, I'm doubly worried and convinced it's wrong to wage this war

    Your own anecdotal evidence shows making it illegal doesn't stop people from putting themselves in such a situation, so why exacerbate the dangers at all?

  10. #40
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    86,481
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The Drug War.

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    The actual interesting part is this is an example of using education to minimize drug use and has nothing to do with an argument in favor of a drug war as a way of helping the situation.
    Sorta. It had no effect on my beginning to use drugs, it was just a tool to quit using drugs, and was a very personal tool. It worked on a level that I do not think that Nancy Reagan ever anticipated.



    Those are the pervasive reasons why the drug war is bad. Everything you describe was also a byproduct of prohibition and was ended with the end of prohibition. I see no benefit in people getting ripped off or being put in potentially risky situation and now that I am a parent, I'm doubly worried and convinced it's wrong to wage this war

    Your own anecdotal evidence shows making it illegal doesn't stop people from putting themselves in such a situation, so why exacerbate the dangers at all?
    If you do not see the discouragement to doing drugs from the risk of getting ripped off or being in dangerous situations, I am not sure we are really in a situation to have much of a discussion. I also, and I am sorry to say this but it is true, have little sympathy for those who do get ripped off or hurt as a result of their drug use. We choose to take risks when we break the law, and that is how it should be.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •