View Poll Results: Euthanasis

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am for euthanasia.

    48 75.00%
  • I am against euthanasia.

    7 10.94%
  • I am not certain.

    7 10.94%
  • Only for others.

    2 3.13%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 101

Thread: Euthanasia: Do you support it or against it?

  1. #51
    activist professor Inferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tipping Velvet
    Last Seen
    07-01-09 @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Euthanasia: Do you support it or against it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    That's what my sister though my father would do, also, but in the moment he couldn't give the order to kill his daughter.

    I would like to highlight the fact that when in so much pain, you are not legal capable of consent. If you have firm instructions to be killed, or to be kept alive, you MUST understand that even with a living will, your wishes may not be carried out.
    I have thought a little more on this post of yours. I find your posts to be challenging and thought provoking.

    I look at your sisters case and I am happyy for you that it worked out the way that it did.

    When i am considering the case for euthanasia I am looking at people who are terminally ill. They may also be totally impaired and incapable of doing for themselves or thinking for themselves. this may be accompanied with pain or not.

    The chances of recovering a normal life are nil. I am not sure that is the case with your sister. I am not sure she had a chance of fully recovering. If she did and for a time there would be pain that is different.

    I do understand that the person may not be able to pull the plug on me in that event. I know that she will. She is my life partner and my proxy and my attorney all rolled into one. She also knows that I will not hesitate one second to do what she has asked of me.

    I would rather walk into the end with my head up and my dignity in order then to suffer another month so my loved ones can watch me in torment while dying.
    Democracy is the road to socialism. Karl Marx
    Life member NY city Fisting Club!
    I am Zoochie Purple Quivering Ghost Bear a Tiki Bar Tarte, you want some of my Panties.

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Euthanasia: Do you support it or against it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    I have thought a little more on this post of yours. I find your posts to be challenging and thought provoking.

    I look at your sisters case and I am happyy for you that it worked out the way that it did.

    When i am considering the case for euthanasia I am looking at people who are terminally ill. They may also be totally impaired and incapable of doing for themselves or thinking for themselves. this may be accompanied with pain or not.

    The chances of recovering a normal life are nil. I am not sure that is the case with your sister. I am not sure she had a chance of fully recovering. If she did and for a time there would be pain that is different.

    I do understand that the person may not be able to pull the plug on me in that event. I know that she will. She is my life partner and my proxy and my attorney all rolled into one. She also knows that I will not hesitate one second to do what she has asked of me.

    I would rather walk into the end with my head up and my dignity in order then to suffer another month so my loved ones can watch me in torment while dying.
    I empithise for those who are in painfull, terminal conitions; I just don't trust The People to leave such a law alone for all time. The People have demonstrated that such laws will be expanded far beyond their original purpose and abused in great number.

    Ideologicly I support euthinasia in extreme cases, but practicly I don't support any such law because I know what it will become.

  3. #53
    activist professor Inferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tipping Velvet
    Last Seen
    07-01-09 @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Euthanasia: Do you support it or against it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I empithise for those who are in painful, terminal conditions; I just don't trust The People to leave such a law alone for all time. The People have demonstrated that such laws will be expanded far beyond their original purpose and abused in great number.

    Ideologically I support euthanasia in extreme cases, but practically I don't support any such law because I know what it will become.
    There needs be some law or standard to protect from both sides. Here is another issue. What is to prevent that one you love and trust with your life from saying pull the plug before you would have them because it involves a reasonable estate? That is the flip flop to this. They pull the plug to soon.
    Democracy is the road to socialism. Karl Marx
    Life member NY city Fisting Club!
    I am Zoochie Purple Quivering Ghost Bear a Tiki Bar Tarte, you want some of my Panties.

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 05:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Euthanasia: Do you support it or against it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Hence my Roe-v-Wade refrence earlier.

    This will not stop at terminal illness. This will progress to at-will suicide just as Roe progressed from medical nisecity to at-will abortion.

    At-will suicide is the logical consiquence of 'the right to die'.

    Please don't limit the scope of what this issue conserns to only what you personaly feel comfortable considering. If you do not support at-will suicide, you can not support any such right-to-law in good conscience.
    They are not at all the same thing though. Mid-second semester abortion is not the same as terminating the life of a terminally ill patient. I don't think law makers would be as willy nilly about it as you think they were with abortion.

    It would be a simple matter to place restrictions on acceptable euthanasia, such as doctor's verification of terminal illness, mental capacity to sign the documents (which would require psychiatric followup), and a testimony to all alternatives having been considered.

    Passive euthanasia is already performed in most hospitals. Cancer patients in their last weeks of life are usually killed via liver failure due to an overdose of morphine and other pain killers. The euphamism is that we are just "making them comfortable", but really we are quickening the pace at which they die.

    Euthanasia would just be one step further: ensuring that you never even make it to the point where you have to be overdosed. You can just end it before severe pain and loss of dignity.

    As for suicide... if people really want to do it, and I don't just mean attempt it in some meager way as a cry for help, but you genuinely have no desire to live, then they will succeed, law or no law. Suicide is a different realm than euthanasia, it's why they are two different terms.

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Euthanasia: Do you support it or against it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    There needs be some law or standard to protect from both sides. Here is another issue. What is to prevent that one you love and trust with your life from saying pull the plug before you would have them because it involves a reasonable estate? That is the flip flop to this. They pull the plug to soon.
    I can't quote them dyrectly for you, but I know that such laws already exist for unbearable pain and brain death.

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Euthanasia: Do you support it or against it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    They are not at all the same thing though. Mid-second semester abortion is not the same as terminating the life of a terminally ill patient. I don't think law makers would be as willy nilly about it as you think they were with abortion.
    I was using Roe as an example of a law which had a narrow scope of aplication at first, yet over the years has been broadened to include every imaginable excuse.

    Abortion was just the thing that came to mind, if I had another example off the cuff I would have used it. I didn't mean to imply that I was compairing abortion with euthinasia. I only wanted to make a point on the pattern that laws are distorted from their original intent.

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    It would be a simple matter to place restrictions on acceptable euthanasia, such as doctor's verification of terminal illness, mental capacity to sign the documents (which would require psychiatric followup), and a testimony to all alternatives having been considered.
    Well, yeah, but here again that's how Roe started out also, and today those restrictions are gon.

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    As for suicide... if people really want to do it, and I don't just mean attempt it in some meager way as a cry for help, but you genuinely have no desire to live, then they will succeed, law or no law. Suicide is a different realm than euthanasia, it's why they are two different terms.
    If someone is going to do away with themselves then I have no reason to believe that they would wate through the hoops folks like myself would have them jump through for final opruval to die.

    They would just do it.

    So I guess there's nothing realy to discuss. Leave the laws the way they are, since euthinasia is permitted already, and those who can't wate will off themselves. Obama will be spared the trouble of listing assisted suicide as a covered medical treatement in his national health care program and it will be one more tax dollar I get to keep.

  7. #57
    activist professor Inferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tipping Velvet
    Last Seen
    07-01-09 @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Euthanasia: Do you support it or against it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Hence my Roe-v-Wade reference earlier.

    This will not stop at terminal illness. This will progress to at-will suicide just as Roe progressed from medical nicety to at-will abortion.

    At-will suicide is the logical consequence of 'the right to die'.

    Please don't limit the scope of what this issue concerns to only what you personally feel comfortable considering. If you do not support at-will suicide, you can not support any such right-to-law in good conscience.
    Roe V Wade was a case of medical privacy. It was hardly about abortion at all. Doe v Bolton was the stronger case for abortion.

    Roe stressed that the woman has the right to privacy. The medical records HIPAA Privacy act was spun off of Roe V Wade. That is what protects all your medical records today.
    Democracy is the road to socialism. Karl Marx
    Life member NY city Fisting Club!
    I am Zoochie Purple Quivering Ghost Bear a Tiki Bar Tarte, you want some of my Panties.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Euthanasia: Do you support it or against it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    Roe V Wade was a case of medical privacy. It was hardly about abortion at all. Doe v Bolton was the stronger case for abortion.

    Roe stressed that the woman has the right to privacy. The medical records HIPAA Privacy act was spun off of Roe V Wade. That is what protects all your medical records today.
    The right to die would also fall under one's right to privacey, and imo suicide would therefore follow the same path.

  9. #59
    activist professor Inferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tipping Velvet
    Last Seen
    07-01-09 @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Euthanasia: Do you support it or against it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    The right to die would also fall under one's right to privacey, and imo suicide would therefore follow the same path.
    True it more than likely would be that way. There would have to be a set of laws for this entire situation.
    Democracy is the road to socialism. Karl Marx
    Life member NY city Fisting Club!
    I am Zoochie Purple Quivering Ghost Bear a Tiki Bar Tarte, you want some of my Panties.

  10. #60
    Student Makedde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Tangled In Jon's Carpet Of Chest Hair
    Last Seen
    06-05-09 @ 09:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    219

    Re: Euthanasia: Do you support it or against it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    The idea of Euthanasia.

    If you found yourself terminally ill and there was discomfort and the expenses were rising. The care and visitation is getting tough on the family.

    Do you think that Euthanasia should be legal? Do you think that it should be there if you need it?
    I have just four words:

    MY BODY, MY CHOICE.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •