View Poll Results: How Will You Personally Harmed By Same-Sex Marriages in Society?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • My spouse will leave me.

    0 0%
  • I'll have come up with a reason to say "no".

    0 0%
  • My son's special friend would be my son-in-law.

    0 0%
  • I could never again rent a honeymoon suite in a hotel.

    0 0%
  • I won't be, I'm not getting married.

    6 24.00%
  • I won't be, I'm already married to the opposite sex.

    6 24.00%
  • Other.

    14 56.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 55

Thread: How Would You Be Harmed By Society's Acceptance of Same Sex Marriage?

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: How Would You Be Harmed By Society's Acceptance of Same Sex Marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    You'll have to pay them if they get married?
    Indirectly. The institution of state-sanctioned marriage confers numerous social and financial benefits upon its participants not afforded to others.

    Shouldn't that then be the issue, not the fact that some people are wrongly denied the freedom to marry who they wish?
    I do not see a state-sanctioned marriage as being a right; the entire institution should be abolished.

  2. #42
    User Analyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Last Seen
    09-16-09 @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    131

    Re: How Would You Be Harmed By Society's Acceptance of Same Sex Marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    Why does anyone want to get married?
    For me, marriage was the most awesome and amazing event to have ever occurred in my 37 years.

    It's bound me to another person in a way I've never experienced with anyone in my life. Not even close, actually.

    I can tell her anything, and I trust her with all my dirty little secrets. She's always there for me, something not even my family can claim.

    Marriage rocks, imo

    (before someone says it, I've been married almost 4 years)

    Voted other. I disagree with it personally, but have no business dictating that to others.
    Last edited by Analyst; 05-14-09 at 06:17 PM. Reason: (topic)

  3. #43
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    09-22-16 @ 06:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    13,777

    Re: How Would You Be Harmed By Society's Acceptance of Same Sex Marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Analyst View Post
    For me, marriage was the most awesome and amazing event to have ever occurred in my 37 years.

    It's bound me to another person in a way I've never experienced with anyone in my life. Not even close, actually.

    I can tell her anything, and I trust her with all my dirty little secrets. She's always there for me, something not even my family can claim.

    Marriage rocks, imo

    (before someone says it, I've been married almost 4 years)
    everything you describe can be had without a state issued marriage certificate.

  4. #44
    User Analyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Last Seen
    09-16-09 @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    131

    Re: How Would You Be Harmed By Society's Acceptance of Same Sex Marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    everything you describe can be had without a state issued marriage certificate.
    It sure can. For me, it's the level of commitment that matters, not the slip of paper. Just wanted to get my response in to the anti-marriage crowd...they truly don't know what they are missing, though my wife and I don't support the insipid Americanized view of the marriage you see in every stupid-ass commercial (you know, husband is an idiot/incompetent/loser, wife and kids know everything, wife is super-woman/super-hot, blah blah blah).

    I'd have gotten married whether the government sanctioned it or not.
    Last edited by Analyst; 05-14-09 at 06:26 PM.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: How Would You Be Harmed By Society's Acceptance of Same Sex Marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Analyst View Post
    It sure can. For me, it's the level of commitment that matters, not the slip of paper.

    I'd have gotten married whether the government sanctioned it or not.
    Precisely! It should be a social institution, not a governmental one. If people wish to make their relationship contractual they should be free to do so, but do not presume to incur social and financial benefits because of it or receive positive recognition of your lifestyle choice.

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: How Would You Be Harmed By Society's Acceptance of Same Sex Marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Indirectly. The institution of state-sanctioned marriage confers numerous social and financial benefits upon its participants not afforded to others.
    Then shouldn't the issue be the unequal treatment by the state of marrieds vs unmarrieds?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I do not see a state-sanctioned marriage as being a right; the entire institution should be abolished.
    The function of marriage in a state is to legally record a contract and establish a baseline for inheritances and other property matters. Since the happy couple are accepting legally binding responsibilities and duties towards each other, it's necessary for a formal record of the event to be taken.

    That's all a marriage is, in a secular society. The religious trappings are, of course, completely irrelevant, and not part of this discussion. If churches don't want to marry people, fine.

  7. #47
    User Analyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Last Seen
    09-16-09 @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    131

    Re: How Would You Be Harmed By Society's Acceptance of Same Sex Marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Precisely! It should be a social institution, not a governmental one. If people wish to make their relationship contractual they should be free to do so, but do not presume to incur social and financial benefits because of it or receive positive recognition of your lifestyle choice.
    Yeah, I have a hard time understanding this.

    I'm not here to bar anyone from making a commitment to someone they love, regardless of orientation.

    The incentive that government gives married couples is completely unnecessary, and I'd still be married if it didn't exist. In fact, I didn't even know their extent until after I was married.

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: How Would You Be Harmed By Society's Acceptance of Same Sex Marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Then shouldn't the issue be the unequal treatment by the state of marrieds vs unmarrieds?
    Certainly. That's always been my contention.

    The function of marriage in a state is to legally record a contract and establish a baseline for inheritances and other property matters. Since the happy couple are accepting legally binding responsibilities and duties towards each other, it's necessary for a formal record of the event to be taken.

    That's all a marriage is, in a secular society. The religious trappings are, of course, completely irrelevant, and not part of this discussion. If churches don't want to marry people, fine.
    All of this can be accomplished with civil unions. I see a state-sanctioned marriage in the same light as a minority housing grant. It is a discriminatory governmental institution that confers benefits upon a specific group of people, hence any arguments which reference the equal protection clause must, of necessity, recognize this contradiction. If I cannot receive a housing grant from the government because I'm not black, then it makes no sense to cry afoul fo the Constitution when people who do fit the definition of marriage are denied access to it.

  9. #49
    Educator nerv14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    02-07-11 @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    601

    Re: How Would You Be Harmed By Society's Acceptance of Same Sex Marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Certainly. That's always been my contention.



    All of this can be accomplished with civil unions. I see a state-sanctioned marriage in the same light as a minority housing grant. It is a discriminatory governmental institution that confers benefits upon a specific group of people, hence any arguments which reference the equal protection clause must, of necessity, recognize this contradiction. If I cannot receive a housing grant from the government because I'm not black, then it makes no sense to cry afoul fo the Constitution when people who do fit the definition of marriage are denied access to it.
    I agree that the state should stop sanctioning marriage.

    However, since straight marriages are accepted by the state, it also seems discriminatory to deny them to homosexual couples.

  10. #50
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    13,890

    Re: How Would You Be Harmed By Society's Acceptance of Same Sex Marriage?

    If the state stops sanctioning marriage entirely then you have an entire host of legal and practical problems that arise.

    First off, we live in a global society. If you want to adopt abroad, most nations require legal marriage recognition. If you own property abroad with your spouse, most other nation's property and tax laws are based around legal recognition of marriages.

    Secondly, you have the entire issue of joint property ownership and custody. You also have the problems of speaking for your spouse in the event they are incapacitated. Sure, one can work around some of that by entering into private legal agreements, but it could make for extremely complicated legal arrangements in many families.

    Also, marriage is not necessarily a religious institution. Many couples get married by the justice of the peace.

    Finally, its juvenile that some people would want to do away with legal marriage recognition simply because a group they don't agree with would get that recognition. Moreover, its never going to happen anyway.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •