View Poll Results: If you oppose same-sex marriage, are you...

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • ... ignorant?

    9 19.57%
  • ... bigoted?

    9 19.57%
  • ... homophobic?

    9 19.57%
  • ... stupid (which differs from ignorant)?

    6 13.04%
  • ... unreasonable?

    11 23.91%
  • ... unenlightened?

    7 15.22%
  • ... (all of the above)

    8 17.39%
  • ... (all of the above, as well as [specify])

    1 2.17%
  • ... (none of the above)

    18 39.13%
  • ... (other)

    11 23.91%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 235

Thread: If you oppose same-sex marriage, you are...

  1. #41
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,193

    Re: If you oppose same-sex marriage, you are...

    None of the above. Slandering the opposition to gay marriage by calling them bigoted, ignorant,homophobic, stupid or some other blatant lie will not win the gay marriage proponents any cool points.
    Last edited by jamesrage; 05-13-09 at 04:43 PM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  2. #42
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: If you oppose same-sex marriage, you are...

    ignorant? - If you're defining this as different than stupid, then I'll say no for this one because I'm not really sure what you mean. Most opponents of same-sex marriage are ignorant in the sense that they've never actually known a gay person though. No, the guy who works in the other department at your office, who you never talk to, doesn't count as a "gay friend."

    bigoted? - Usually. They want to deny civil rights to another group of people...and pretty much every argument against same-sex marriage is ultimately rooted in a desire to hurt homosexuals, no matter how much opponents want to cloak it in other rationalizations.

    homophobic? - This is the same as bigoted, so yes.

    stupid (which differs from ignorant)? - Again, I'm not sure what difference you see between these two terms. But every argument against gay marriage that I've ever heard is stupid. Not just in the sense that I might disagree with their viewpoint, like I would for, say, health care or foreign policy. I'm talking downright, indefensible, illogical stupidity.

    unreasonable? - Yes. If there are any reasonable arguments against gay marriage, I have yet to hear them.

    unenlightened? - Yup. Same-sex marriage doesn't affect you at all. I don't know of anyone who is trying to make it mandatory.




    Now to preempt the attacks I'm going to get from conservatives, replace the words "same-sex marriage" in the poll question with "interracial marriage" (and obviously change "homophobic" to "racist"). Now how many of those adjectives do YOU believe apply?

    And before you try to rationalize how the issue of interracial marriage and same-sex marriage have absolutely nothing in common, please read what I wrote under "stupid" and "unreasonable." This kind of rationalization is exactly what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 05-13-09 at 04:48 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  3. #43
    Your Huckleberry
    Lachean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in VR
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,369

    Re: If you oppose same-sex marriage, you are...

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I explained it in the post above.
    No you really didn't, all you explained is that you regard your bond as greater than anyone's who your god would not approve of, or anyone who has gotten divorced before.

    But there is no reason to believe that your god exists, nor does his existence or nonexistence have ANYTHING to do with a legal term from a SECULAR government.

    Your union is no more sacred than any others.
    Who left the fridge open?

  4. #44
    Guru
    akyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Plano
    Last Seen
    03-17-16 @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,062

    Re: If you oppose same-sex marriage, you are...

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    If you oppose state recognition of same-sex marriage, then:

    1. You could be a bigot and think its the same as allowing adults to marry animals or children.

    2. It could be for religious reasons.

    3. You are obviously either ignorant of the basic principles of liberty, or you don't care.
    I will go with 3b.

    If it isnt about sex or it isnt about love then its about money. If it isnt about money invite your family and friends to a park and just do it. Consider yourself married. No one is stopping you and thats how its been done for centuries. Stop seeking validation from someone else and worse stop trying to force feed beliefs onto others.

    Seeking Validation from Others: Why It's Never Worth It


    This just out. It appears the administration is 0-10 on this issue as well. A clean sweep.

    The Fierce Urgency Of Whenever


    "But I have a sickeningly familiar feeling in my stomach, and the feeling deepens with every interaction with the Obama team on these issues. They want them to go away. They want us to go away"
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/marvel-war-of-heroes/id536478373?mt=8
    iphone or ipad game

    Use Referral code bfg861256 for a free rare card.

  5. #45
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    13,939

    Re: If you oppose same-sex marriage, you are...

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    None of the above. Slandering the opposition to gay marriage by calling them bigoted, ignorant,homophobic, stupid or some other blatant lie will not win the gay marriage proponents any cool points.
    I agree with you if someone is just making a blanket statement in calling all those that oppose same-sex marriage as bigoted.

    However, they are ignorant of what liberty entails if they oppose it.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  6. #46
    Guru
    akyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Plano
    Last Seen
    03-17-16 @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,062

    Re: If you oppose same-sex marriage, you are...

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    I agree with you if someone is just making a blanket statement in calling all those that oppose same-sex marriage as bigoted.

    However, they are ignorant of what liberty entails if they oppose it.
    Are you considering not giving a crap opposing?
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/marvel-war-of-heroes/id536478373?mt=8
    iphone or ipad game

    Use Referral code bfg861256 for a free rare card.

  7. #47
    Your Huckleberry
    Lachean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in VR
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,369

    Re: If you oppose same-sex marriage, you are...

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    None of the above. Slandering the opposition to gay marriage by calling them bigoted, ignorant,homophobic, stupid or some other blatant lie will not win the gay marriage proponents any cool points.
    Calling a spade a spade is not about earning cool points.

    And you are a homophobe, shall I quote the many ways I know this?
    Who left the fridge open?

  8. #48
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,225

    Re: If you oppose same-sex marriage, you are...

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I disagree.

    It is about the religious sanctity of a bond between a man and a woman, it is not a civil union to me. I agreed to love honor and cherish my wife till death. That is allot more than some civil union recognized by the state. It is a marriage recognized by God.

    If the marriage benefits of the state were to disappear tomorrow, my marriage would still be intact, it would change nothing.

    The really sad thing is since the interference of government in marriage it has cheapened it, and what it was supposed to stand for. Things like making divorce to easy for stupid reasons.

    To bad the majority of so called Christian couples don't see what hypocrites they are with being married 3 times or more.

    Anyway I talk the talk and walk the walk for my principles. I hope you will continue to do the same.

    I understand you point of view and have respect for it. But when things like this come up; transference of property, trust funds, life insurance, hospital visitation rights, etc. there are legal issues that become an issue for the state. I know gay couples that have been in 30 + year relationships and they really worry about these things. They have bought houses together and one has been the bread winner while the other took care of the home. W/O the protection of marriage the tax liabilities on their home could possibly force the surviving partner out of their family home when one or the other passed away.
    Last edited by winston53660; 05-13-09 at 04:49 PM.

  9. #49
    Guru
    FallingPianos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Last Seen
    08-10-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,341

    Re: If you oppose same-sex marriage, you are...

    I voted bigoted and homophobic, as these are the only ones that I believe are universally applicable. Ignorant, stupid, and unreasonable are certainly possibilities as well, but I wouldn't label all opponents of same-sex marriage that way. A person can be homophobic quite willfully, and act in very reasonable ways to achieve their agenda of denying equal rights to GLBT people. I wouldn't use unenlightened in any circumstance. I don't claim to be a perfectly enlightened person, and I don't expect other people to be either.



    A lot of arguments can be made against same-sex marriage that don't seem homophobic or bigoted on their face, but they're riddled with logical fallacies.

    We can't allow same-sex couples to get married because "marriage" is defined as being between a man and a woman - as if the definition of marriage is some universal physical law that never has and never can be changed.

    We can't allow same-sex couples to get married because marriage has always been between men and women - as if history makes it right.

    We can't allow same-sex couples to get married because same-sex couples can't have children - as if inability to reproduce is a legitimate basis for denying someone the right to marry, and as if natural reproduction is relevant in an age of adoption and reproductive technologies.

    We can't allow same-sex couples to get married because it would be harmful to children - as if empirical evidence (link) didn't overwhelmingly contradict this.

    We can't allow same-sex couples to get married because its unnatural - as if "natural," which is conveniently not defined, has anything to do with the morality of human behavior.

    We can't allow same-sex couples to get married because God condemns homosexuality - as if ones thoughts on god matter in a state that is separated from the church.



    The reason these arguments don't make logical sense, is because they aren't real arguments. They are merely fronts, so that people don't have to confront their own bigotry.

    The real argument is:

    The Institution of Marriage will be tainted if even dikes and fags can do it.

    Its harsh and its ugly, and most people don't want to face their own homophobia, so they create other arguments as a distraction.

    Trying to have a logical argument about the matter is almost pointless, as its not addressing the real issue. Peoples minds will never be changed about same-sex marriage, if they're hearts aren't changed first. Thats why people who personally know a GLBT person is much more likely to support GLBT rights. Its a lot harder to be bigoted against a person you know, than it is to be bigoted against an abstract concept.

    In the meantime, people need to be held accountable for their bigotry. Faith can no longer be used as an excuse thats free from criticism. When a persons faith stops making sense, they change it.

    Anyone who believes that God condemns homosexuality believes this because they choose to believe it.

  10. #50
    King Of The Dog Pound

    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,760

    Re: If you oppose same-sex marriage, you are...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    ignorant? - If you're defining this as different than stupid, then I'll say no for this one because I'm not really sure what you mean. Most opponents of same-sex marriage are ignorant in the sense that they've never actually known a gay person though. No, the guy who you never talk to, who works in the other department at your office doesn't count as a "gay friend."
    I have quite a few friends who happen to be gay. To be honest no one really cared one way or the other.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    bigoted? - Usually. They want to deny civil rights to another group of people...and pretty much every argument against same-sex marriage is ultimately rooted in a desire to hurt homosexuals, no matter how much opponents want to cloak it in other rationalizations.
    I want to preserve my way of life in my country by my principles. It has nothing to do with wanting to hurt anyone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    [homophobic? - This is the same as bigoted, so yes.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    [stupid (which differs from ignorant)? - Again, I'm not sure what difference you see between these two terms. But every argument against gay marriage that I've ever heard is stupid. Not just in the sense that I might disagree with their viewpoint, like I would for, say, health care or foreign policy. I'm talking downright, indefensible, illogical stupidity.

    unreasonable? - Yes. If there are any reasonable arguments against gay marriage, I have yet to hear them.

    unenlightened? - Yup.
    Well since this is nothing but your opinion, it's cool I can except your view even if I do not agree.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Now to preempt the attacks I'm going to get from conservatives, replace the words "same-sex marriage" in the poll question with "interracial marriage" (and obviously change "homophobic" to "racist"). Now how many of those adjectives do YOU believe apply?
    No

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    And before you try to rationalize how the issue of interracial marriage and same-sex marriage have absolutely nothing in common, please read what I wrote under "stupid" and "unreasonable." This kind of rationalization is exactly what I'm talking about.
    Again you are welcome to your opinion, does not make it correct though.


    No Lives Matter

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •