View Poll Results: If you oppose same-sex marriage, are you...

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • ... ignorant?

    9 19.57%
  • ... bigoted?

    9 19.57%
  • ... homophobic?

    9 19.57%
  • ... stupid (which differs from ignorant)?

    6 13.04%
  • ... unreasonable?

    11 23.91%
  • ... unenlightened?

    7 15.22%
  • ... (all of the above)

    8 17.39%
  • ... (all of the above, as well as [specify])

    1 2.17%
  • ... (none of the above)

    18 39.13%
  • ... (other)

    11 23.91%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 235

Thread: If you oppose same-sex marriage, you are...

  1. #141
    Advisor Burning Giraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Burgaw, NC
    Last Seen
    07-27-10 @ 06:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    357

    Re: If you oppose same-sex marriage, you are...

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    We are not talking century's ago, we are not even talking pre-civil war.

    You don't need the government to regulate civil matters in marriage. We don't need the government to regulate marriage at all.

    My problem has little or nothing to do with modern society. It has to do with people who think the government needs to solve and run everything.
    I totally agree. Man's faith in Government is more troubling to me than Man's faith in Religion. Peace can only be kept through mutual respect, individual liberty, and the protection of our civil rights. When we fail to be guided by these principles, religions and governments move in to acquire power; because, simply put, the People have given up their power by refusing to take responsibility for it.
    There is nothing more dangerous to the liberty of Man than a Government or a Religion seizing upon the strings of an overdeveloped herd instinct amongst the people.

  2. #142
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    48,237

    Re: If you oppose same-sex marriage, you are...

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    The marragie licence did not come along until government got into it. It was doing just fine until then.
    I know the history of the marriage license, thank you. I've argued against it on several occasions. Fact remains though, because the marriage license does exist so long as it exists I see no logical argument against same-sex marriage.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #143
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: If you oppose same-sex marriage, you are...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    Yes. They are against gay marriage right?
    Good to see you are consistient. Not many pro-gay marriage people are honest and consistient enough to describe The Obama, et al, as mis-guided, ignorant, closed-minded and unreasonable.

    Why do you say "The Obama?"
    Just giving The Secular Messiah the respect He is due.

  4. #144
    King Of The Dog Pound

    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,694

    Re: If you oppose same-sex marriage, you are...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I know the history of the marriage license, thank you. I've argued against it on several occasions. Fact remains though, because the marriage license does exist so long as it exists I see no logical argument against same-sex marriage.
    So because it exists, this can never be changed?

    All the state needs to do is keep a record of who is married to whom and by what church (meaning any marriage institution). Thats it, nothing else is needed from the state. All other civil matters involving marriage can be done in court in case of a divorce etc.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 05-14-09 at 10:10 AM.


    No Lives Matter

  5. #145
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    48,237

    Re: If you oppose same-sex marriage, you are...

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    So because it exists, this can never be changed?
    Did I say that? No. I said so long as it exists, I can see no logical argument against same-sex marriage. This isn't Latin here. It's very clear. So long as the marriage license exists.....I can see no logical argument against same-sex marriage.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #146
    King Of The Dog Pound

    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,694

    Re: If you oppose same-sex marriage, you are...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Did I say that? No. I said so long as it exists, I can see no logical argument against same-sex marriage. This isn't Latin here. It's very clear. So long as the marriage license exists.....I can see no logical argument against same-sex marriage.
    That is a lame argument.

    PS I was asking you a question. How does that translate into you said it? You are correct, it is not Latin.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 05-14-09 at 10:17 AM.


    No Lives Matter

  7. #147
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 03:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: If you oppose same-sex marriage, you are...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Good to see you are consistient. Not many pro-gay marriage people are honest and consistient enough to describe The Obama, et al, as mis-guided, ignorant, closed-minded and unreasonable.
    I do not think he is misguided, ignorant, closed-minded and unreasonable in general, but he is on the issue of gay marriage. There are many things I agree with him on and some I don't. I know he's pro civil-union, but that's not enough for me.

    However, I've been thinking, does it really matter whether the president is for or against gay-marriage? I mean everyone always says "leave it up to the states." I blame the state congressionals.

    I honestly know nothing about Hillary's or Biden's views.



    Just giving The Secular Messiah the respect He is due.
    What makes you think he is a Secular Messiah?



    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    That is a lame argument.
    Why don't you come up with one then?
    Last edited by Cilogy; 05-14-09 at 10:15 AM.


  8. #148
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: If you oppose same-sex marriage, you are...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    I do not think he is misguided, ignorant, closed-minded and unreasonable in general, but he is on the issue of gay marriage.
    Fair enough.
    Do you grant the same leniency for others who oppose same-sex marriage?

    However, I've been thinking, does it really matter whether the president is for or against gay-marriage? I mean everyone always says "leave it up to the states." I blame the state congressionals.
    It certainly matters when he is a Republican...

    I honestly know nothing about Hillary's or Biden's views.
    They all hold the same position.

    What makes you think he is a Secular Messiah?
    The reaction He garners from His supporters.
    Last edited by Goobieman; 05-14-09 at 10:17 AM.

  9. #149
    King Of The Dog Pound

    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,694

    Re: If you oppose same-sex marriage, you are...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    Why don't you come up with one then?
    I did and he chose to dodge the question, or so it appeared to me.


    No Lives Matter

  10. #150
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    48,237

    Re: If you oppose same-sex marriage, you are...

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    That is a lame argument.
    I think you don't understand what the argument is and that's why you said that. You seem to have trouble comprehending what the simple sentence had said and thus lash out with insult instead of asking for clarification. Which is a lame method to produce debate. And the "lame" there is being very generous.

    Contract is a right, individuals have the right to contract. The marriage license is a contract, there's nothing religious about the marriage license. It couples in many other contracts in terms of estate and hospital visitation, insurance, etc. It's well entangled and certain contracts can only be obtained through the marriage contract. Since the marriage license is contract and individual have the right to contract, there is no logical argument I can conceive of to ban same-sex marriage. You infringe upon their right to contract by doing so. So long as the marriage license exists, this is a true statement.

    The marriage license doesn't have to exist, the marriage license can be abolished. If you separate out the contracts involved and allow people to separately engage in those contracts, you have decoupled marriage from contract. If you abolish the marriage license, marriage itself returns to the churches and the individual religions can make the rules. There are logical arguments there against same-sex marriage as it is religious practice and there is freedom of religion. But that takes the untangling of the marriage license and its abolition, which is the rightful move to make though the one which no one will make. No matter what side the politicians claim, they would not want to give up the power the govenrment holds over marriage.

    So again, so long as the marriage license exists, I can see no logical argument against same-sex marriage.

    Anyone with a jr. high understanding of the English language would know what that sentence means. I honestly can not believe I had to explain that.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •