View Poll Results: If you oppose same-sex marriage, are you...

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • ... ignorant?

    9 19.57%
  • ... bigoted?

    9 19.57%
  • ... homophobic?

    9 19.57%
  • ... stupid (which differs from ignorant)?

    6 13.04%
  • ... unreasonable?

    11 23.91%
  • ... unenlightened?

    7 15.22%
  • ... (all of the above)

    8 17.39%
  • ... (all of the above, as well as [specify])

    1 2.17%
  • ... (none of the above)

    18 39.13%
  • ... (other)

    11 23.91%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 235

Thread: If you oppose same-sex marriage, you are...

  1. #131
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: If you oppose same-sex marriage, you are...

    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    I tend to think of it as unenlightened. It is a fear. People are set in their ways and tend not to be open so much to change. If it was good enough for my mom and dada it must be....
    Do you consider The Obama to then be unenlightened?
    Hillary? Joe BIden?

  2. #132
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: If you oppose same-sex marriage, you are...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    If a person is against gay-marriage, it not only tells you their stance, but also tells you that they have failed to reason and they have failed to be open-minded. People who oppose gay-marriage are clinging to some misguided belief, whatever it may be, but they are still ignorantly clinging to it.
    People like... The Obama?
    Hillary? Joe Biden?

  3. #133
    Advisor Burning Giraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Burgaw, NC
    Last Seen
    07-27-10 @ 06:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    357

    Re: If you oppose same-sex marriage, you are...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Pursuant to the example of Miss California, Carrie Prejean...

    Raw Story Nailed by racy photos, anti-gay beauty queen says she’s being mocked for ‘faith’
    Miss California Lashes Back - CBS News
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1058012834

    If you oppose same-sex marriage, are you... (see poll)

    Please be sure to explain your response.
    None of the above. If you oppose gay marriage you are not necessarily any one thing or another. What you are, is willing to allow the federal government to legislate a moral issue. The question is, where does this road end? If Americans take a moral stand against guns, do we ban guns? If Americans take a moral stand against accumulating more wealth than what you need, do we tax wealth?

    We must not vote on issues or morality, but rather on principle. The question with gay marriage is whether or not the Federal Government should have the authority to legislate morality.
    There is nothing more dangerous to the liberty of Man than a Government or a Religion seizing upon the strings of an overdeveloped herd instinct amongst the people.

  4. #134
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: If you oppose same-sex marriage, you are...

    Quote Originally Posted by Burning Giraffe View Post
    If you oppose gay marriage you are not necessarily any one thing or another. What you are, is willing to allow the federal government to legislate a moral issue...If Americans take a moral stand against accumulating more wealth than what you need, do we tax wealth?
    We have this now -- and, generally speaking, those that oppose bans on same-sex marriage seem to have no problem legislating on THAT moral issue.

    On what do those people stand when someone wants to legislate morality that they do NOT like -- such as bans on same-sex marriage?

  5. #135
    Advisor Burning Giraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Burgaw, NC
    Last Seen
    07-27-10 @ 06:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    357

    Re: If you oppose same-sex marriage, you are...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    We have this now -- and, generally speaking, those that oppose bans on same-sex marriage seem to have no problem legislating on THAT moral issue.

    On what do those people stand when someone wants to legislate morality that they do NOT like -- such as bans on same-sex marriage?
    Indeed. We cannot govern this nation democratically. In other words, just because a majority of Americans feel a certain way, doesn't mean the government should have the right to act a certain way. This was meant to be a Constitutional Republic, to protect us both from each other and from our government, but defining the role of the Federal Establishment. And yet, we have abandoned the Constitutional Definitions and have amended away the objective power of the Constitution. We have become a social democracy, in every way, and are suffering the terrible consequences together.
    There is nothing more dangerous to the liberty of Man than a Government or a Religion seizing upon the strings of an overdeveloped herd instinct amongst the people.

  6. #136
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: If you oppose same-sex marriage, you are...

    Quote Originally Posted by Burning Giraffe View Post
    Indeed. We cannot govern this nation democratically. In other words, just because a majority of Americans feel a certain way, doesn't mean the government should have the right to act a certain way. This was meant to be a Constitutional Republic, to protect us both from each other and from our government, but defining the role of the Federal Establishment. And yet, we have abandoned the Constitutional Definitions and have amended away the objective power of the Constitution. We have become a social democracy, in every way, and are suffering the terrible consequences together.
    I cannot possibly agree more.

  7. #137
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    48,241

    Re: If you oppose same-sex marriage, you are...

    Stubborn maybe. I don't know, the list could apply to those who are against same-sex marriage, but it doesn't necessarily apply. I don't get the resistance to it. People say it's traditional, but I wonder if they use lye soap, or use horses to get around, or understand that the giving away of the bride by the father was traditional because women were considered property and had to be given away by a male. The father owned the daughter till he gave her to a new man. Do they still accept that as truth? Are women still property? Because "traditional" actually changes, nothing is stagnant nor should it ever be. Stagnation breeds death. In reality "traditional" marriage isn't the same as it used to be, and in many other ancient cultures one man/one woman wasn't always the standard. That developed later, so the "traditional" marriage had to be abandoned to allow for the new stricter one.

    In the end most "traditional" arguments are actually born out of religion. As the marriage license is a State recognized and issued contract, religion has nothing to do with it. So long as there is the marriage license, there is no logical argument against same-sex marriage.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #138
    King Of The Dog Pound

    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,702

    Re: If you oppose same-sex marriage, you are...

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    The world is a different place today then it was centuries ago. I doubt there were many custody law suits, foreign adoptions and so on back 1805 for example. It seems to me that if thats your argument, then your beef is with modernity.
    We are not talking century's ago, we are not even talking pre-civil war.

    You don't need the government to regulate civil matters in marriage. We don't need the government to regulate marriage at all.

    My problem has little or nothing to do with modern society. It has to do with people who think the government needs to solve and run everything.


    No Lives Matter

  9. #139
    King Of The Dog Pound

    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,702

    Re: If you oppose same-sex marriage, you are...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Stubborn maybe. I don't know, the list could apply to those who are against same-sex marriage, but it doesn't necessarily apply. I don't get the resistance to it. People say it's traditional, but I wonder if they use lye soap, or use horses to get around, or understand that the giving away of the bride by the father was traditional because women were considered property and had to be given away by a male. The father owned the daughter till he gave her to a new man. Do they still accept that as truth? Are women still property? Because "traditional" actually changes, nothing is stagnant nor should it ever be. Stagnation breeds death. In reality "traditional" marriage isn't the same as it used to be, and in many other ancient cultures one man/one woman wasn't always the standard. That developed later, so the "traditional" marriage had to be abandoned to allow for the new stricter one.

    In the end most "traditional" arguments are actually born out of religion. As the marriage license is a State recognized and issued contract, religion has nothing to do with it. So long as there is the marriage license, there is no logical argument against same-sex marriage.
    The marragie licence did not come along until government got into it. It was doing just fine until then.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 05-14-09 at 10:02 AM.


    No Lives Matter

  10. #140
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 03:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: If you oppose same-sex marriage, you are...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    People like... The Obama?
    Hillary? Joe Biden?
    Yes. They are against gay marriage right?

    Why do you say "The Obama?"


Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •