View Poll Results: Are some words inherently offensive?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 30.00%
  • No

    21 70.00%
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 223

Thread: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

  1. #131
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 07:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I have a close family member who came out a little over 30 years ago. I got to watch what it was like from close quarters back then. Today is nothing in comparison. That does not mean that the things that happens to gays today cannot be extremely painful though. People 100 years ago lived on far less than I have today, but today, I am working part time while hoping to someday get called back to my auto industry job, just trying to get by. The fact that things where worse for people 100 years ago does not mean that my situation does not suck for me.

    Does that make sense?
    It makes all the sense in the world, Redress. But what gets me about other gays, especially, is that they seem to have lost all perspective in terms of what they go through in their life. There's no appreciation or even understanding, most of the time, of what brought us this far and I doubt they even understand how far we've come. And what ends up happening is we have gays that become "activists" but end up using primitive means of activism that we are well beyond at this stage of the game. There's no need for attack politics and shock value demonstration. Those that came before us already did that and brought us to having a voice and legitimate access to proper forums for the enactment of change from here on. Their means of advancing the cause are outdated and only become a hindrance rather than a help. You just want to smack them and tell them, "If you really want to help, sit down and STFU!"

  2. #132
    Clown Prince of Politics
    Psychoclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hiding from the voices in my head.
    Last Seen
    09-26-16 @ 11:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,723

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    It makes perfect sense, Jallman.

    I equate it to a kid that throws a hissy fit because he can't sit at the adult table. The kid finally gets his way and gets a seat at the big table and continues to throw a hissy fit. All it does is give ammo to the people that said the kid shouldn't be at the table in the first place and turn off the people who may have been ambivilent to the idea.
    Slipping into madness is good for the sake of comparison - Unknown.

  3. #133
    Global Moderator
    Engagement!
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,970

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Lets just cut to the quick and get straight to why this thread was started since you want to claim that people are essentially forcing you to accept racism and bigotry as benign and sweet smiling.

    All those saying that words hurt, that words are awful, and all this stuff, I ask you this, is the following statement "Racism and Bigotry"

    "And your comparison of Michael Richards "nigger" rant to Wanda Sykes joke is a prime example of how people like you prefer to debate. "

    To give you context, the person posting it was condemning someone trying to say they were on the same scale, implying that Michael Richards rant was far worse than the things Wanda Sykes said.

    This is the only point at any time people have been essentially telling you specifically "You're wrong", in the fact you got AMAZINGLY upset and outrageously angry over that comment.

    So inferno and others possibly sensitive to this situation, I would love to know, was the above statement a "bigoted and racist" statement? Are people that are telling Aaron that he overreacted by his over the top implication and innuendo that the person that stated it was somehow trying to intentionally be offensive or even racist attempting to make him "accept bigotry and racism as something benign" or is it people asking him to not completely and utterly flip out because someone described something factual that happened with the factual word used and while doing so is describing it as a NEGATIVE thing.

  4. #134
    Global Moderator
    Engagement!
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,970

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I have a close family member who came out a little over 30 years ago. I got to watch what it was like from close quarters back then. Today is nothing in comparison. That does not mean that the things that happens to gays today cannot be extremely painful though. People 100 years ago lived on far less than I have today, but today, I am working part time while hoping to someday get called back to my auto industry job, just trying to get by. The fact that things where worse for people 100 years ago does not mean that my situation does not suck for me.

    Does that make sense?
    It makes great sense, however, at the same time you have to understand the relative nature of it. If you said "My situation right now sucks" would not be something I'd argue by the sounds of it. However, if you said "My situation suck as bad as those that were down trodden 100 years ago" I'd probably roll my eyes and think you're over melodramatic.

    Likewise, I have no doubt that its still a difficult life for many black people in this country to varying degrees. At the same time, comparative to 50 years ago let alone 100 their life is much better off. If they act, or exclaim, that somehow it is just as bad now as it ever has been then that's not only insulting to the intelligence of those they're trying to peddle their melodrama to but its insulting to everyone that lived during that time that they're attempting to manipulate for leverage and insulting to everyone that had given their blood, sweat, tears, and times in allowing for that individual to have a better world and life now than they had.

    Acknowledge that you have some hard times at times, but acknowledge the strides that have been made and the way things have improved as well. If all you do is focus on the negative and continually go "we/I need more, more, more" while never seeming to show thanks or happiness or even acknowledgment of progress then it makes all those around you wonder how much you truly appreciate or even recognize the progress and how much you are just perhaps conditioned now to say "more more more". This can go as much for spoiled brat rich kids as it can go for down trodden gay males.
    Last edited by Zyphlin; 05-15-09 at 05:07 PM.

  5. #135
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 07:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychoclown View Post
    It makes perfect sense, Jallman.

    I equate it to a kid that throws a hissy fit because he can't sit at the adult table. The kid finally gets his way and gets a seat at the big table and continues to throw a hissy fit. All it does is give ammo to the people that said the kid shouldn't be at the table in the first place and turn off the people who may have been ambivilent to the idea.
    That is a perfect example. Flawless illustration.

  6. #136
    Clown Prince of Politics
    Psychoclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hiding from the voices in my head.
    Last Seen
    09-26-16 @ 11:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,723

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Lets just cut to the quick and get straight to why this thread was started since you want to claim that people are essentially forcing you to accept racism and bigotry as benign and sweet smiling.

    All those saying that words hurt, that words are awful, and all this stuff, I ask you this, is the following statement "Racism and Bigotry"

    "And your comparison of Michael Richards "nigger" rant to Wanda Sykes joke is a prime example of how people like you prefer to debate. "

    To give you context, the person posting it was condemning someone trying to say they were on the same scale, implying that Michael Richards rant was far worse than the things Wanda Sykes said.

    This is the only point at any time people have been essentially telling you specifically "You're wrong", in the fact you got AMAZINGLY upset and outrageously angry over that comment.

    So inferno and others possibly sensitive to this situation, I would love to know, was the above statement a "bigoted and racist" statement? Are people that are telling Aaron that he overreacted by his over the top implication and innuendo that the person that stated it was somehow trying to intentionally be offensive or even racist attempting to make him "accept bigotry and racism as something benign" or is it people asking him to not completely and utterly flip out because someone described something factual that happened with the factual word used and while doing so is describing it as a NEGATIVE thing.
    Someone using the word "nigger" (oops now I'm a racist too I guess) in that context is absolutely not a racist. The word was being used to refer to an event, not to insult anyone. In fact the person was refering to the event because he was arguing that going on a "nigger" rant (oops, there goes my racist rants again) is far more offensive than cracking a few lame jokes at the expense of right wing pundits.

    Any attempt to claim that word was used with racist intent is dishonest and illogical.

    And Zyphlin, seriously, don't say nigger, you racist. Don't ever say nigger again. Never ever say nigger.

    DISCLAIMER: All use of the dreaded n-word was facetious and in no way an expression of racial hate or bigotry. Any attempt to smear this poster with the racist label based on this post will be scoffed at and mocked mercilessly.
    Slipping into madness is good for the sake of comparison - Unknown.

  7. #137
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    12-18-13 @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    495

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Lets just cut to the quick and get straight to why this thread was started since you want to claim that people are essentially forcing you to accept racism and bigotry as benign and sweet smiling.

    All those saying that words hurt, that words are awful, and all this stuff, I ask you this, is the following statement "Racism and Bigotry"

    "And your comparison of Michael Richards "nigger" rant to Wanda Sykes joke is a prime example of how people like you prefer to debate. "

    To give you context, the person posting it was condemning someone trying to say they were on the same scale, implying that Michael Richards rant was far worse than the things Wanda Sykes said.

    This is the only point at any time people have been essentially telling you specifically "You're wrong", in the fact you got AMAZINGLY upset and outrageously angry over that comment.

    So inferno and others possibly sensitive to this situation, I would love to know, was the above statement a "bigoted and racist" statement? Are people that are telling Aaron that he overreacted by his over the top implication and innuendo that the person that stated it was somehow trying to intentionally be offensive or even racist attempting to make him "accept bigotry and racism as something benign" or is it people asking him to not completely and utterly flip out because someone described something factual that happened with the factual word used and while doing so is describing it as a NEGATIVE thing.
    Why are you having to ask? I thought you already knew the answer. Now, you're doubting yourself? I call that progress. It didn't feel right, because it wasn't right. Your gut instinct was the right one. You second-guessing yourself, gives me hope. At least, for you.
    I am sick and tired of some folks using the line, "black folks say it about themselves....why can't we use it, even in jest?"
    I, personally, don't have anything to do with any black folks who use the term. I don't listen to rap music, because of all the misogyny, and "n-word this" and "n-word that". The black community is not monolithic. Not all black men wear saggy pants, and not all black women are prostitutes, to be hyperbolic. The fact that some believe it to be so, does not make it so.
    And it ain't alright to use that word, in any context, with many of us. Anyone thinking otherwise is confused. In fact, I can think of no other word that is so vile, pervasive, or carries such weight. Reclaiming the word has been a failure....that someone should feel this way, should give some pause. But now I know better. It's all projection, if you get my meaning.
    Last edited by aaronssongs; 05-15-09 at 05:22 PM.

  8. #138
    Global Moderator
    Engagement!
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,970

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Ahh, there you go again Aaron, deciding something is so and thus it must be so.

    No, I don't doubt my answer at all. I know fully what I believe about it. I'm just curious to see if even those that seem to be on your side in the general case of things realizes that its idoitic to state that the person was making a bigoted and racist statement.

  9. #139
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 07:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Ahh, there you go again Aaron, deciding something is so and thus it must be so.

    No, I don't doubt my answer at all. I know fully what I believe about it. I'm just curious to see if even those that seem to be on your side in the general case of things realizes that its idoitic to state that the person was making a bigoted and racist statement.
    A call of bigotry and racism is usually an attempt by a weaker mind to close the debate before they get pwned.

  10. #140
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    12-18-13 @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    495

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Ahh, there you go again Aaron, deciding something is so and thus it must be so.

    No, I don't doubt my answer at all. I know fully what I believe about it. I'm just curious to see if even those that seem to be on your side in the general case of things realizes that its idoitic to state that the person was making a bigoted and racist statement.
    Duh. Hello, somebody? It's my assertion, and no one else's, that using the word in any context is racist and unacceptable. That is what I believe. I don't need any clarification for what I believe. You do. You can disagree. But can't even justifiable tell me that I am wrong. Don't you get it? Evidently not. You can't pass judgment on someone's beliefs. An atheist cannot tell a Christian that he or she is wrong for believing that Jesus Christ is Savior, or that God is the author of the universe. Who then are you to tell me anything. The answer is no one. I don't need anyone on my side. I'm complete. Privilege has gone to your head, and the heads of many.

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •