View Poll Results: Are some words inherently offensive?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 30.00%
  • No

    21 70.00%
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 223

Thread: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 07:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdzeye View Post
    Some people deliberately use certain words that they know full well will offend a lot of people. The word "nigger" is one example.

    When confronted about what they've said, the disingenious defense is often some lame blathering about "context." I once had a boss who said something to me that I found offensive, and I told him so. His response? "You mustn't take offense because no offense was intended." Somehow I was supposed to dredge up some nonexistent psychic powers and figure out that his offensive remark reallly wasn't offensive after all.
    But then you go back to some people looking for offense in everything. I've taken the attitude that unless I know you and you know me, I've absolutely no regard for what you find offensive or not unless you tell me, politely, that you find something I have said offensive. And even then, I am not going to guarantee that I will alter my speech for the sake of your tender sensibilities.

  2. #122
    activist professor Inferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tipping Velvet
    Last Seen
    07-01-09 @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Yes, but it takes a good bit of emotional stability and strength to be able to take something that previously so offended you and embrace it at least some quasi sort of way to tatoo it upon your own body.

    If the word was so inherently, unquestionable, unfathomably offensive in every use and every stretch of the imagination, which aaron seems to suggest some words are, than you would not have been able to muster the strength to take such an action of essentially rebelling against those that would hurt you and physical acknowledgedment of your strength over your own emotional state.
    I was not going to let another persons ignorance defeat me and beat me up. I remember going to this guy to tattoo my arm. I will post a pic of the tattoo one of these days. It is maybe 3/4 inch letters and it makes my statement. If we allow words and PC lets many people never remove the sting from the words. It made me stronger and a better person to take that word to myself. Yes I could say I am queer. I am a dyke what is the problem. In this way I disarmed those that would hurt me with their own word.
    Democracy is the road to socialism. Karl Marx
    Life member NY city Fisting Club!
    I am Zoochie Purple Quivering Ghost Bear a Tiki Bar Tarte, you want some of my Panties.

  3. #123
    Global Moderator
    Engagement!
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,971

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    * Ahh, the wonders of Irony.

    Quote Originally Posted by aaronssongs View Post
    I didn't single any one person out, personally.
    I prefaced my comments with "if the shoe one is trying on fits, then wear it. If not, it doesn't apply.
    No, you singled EVERYONE out. Your words, once more:

    "Notice its always underachieving "white males" that always go off on AA."

    Now, perhaps I'm confused, but I always thought always meant every time. It seems pretty clear you're stating that the people "always" complain about AA are "underachieving white males". Did you not?

    Also, a note about preface. The definition of preface:

    1. a preliminary statement in a book by the book's author or editor, setting forth its purpose and scope, expressing acknowledgment of assistance from others, etc.
    2. an introductory part, as of a speech.
    3. something preliminary or introductory

    Hmm, that would seem to imply for you to have "prefaced" it by stating "if the shoe fits" it would've had to come BEFORE your original statement, yet that comment I quoted was the FIRST Thing you said.

    Furthermore, I looked through your entire post. Not a single time during the entire thing of it did you at all say "if the shoe fits". You can't just make **** up and expect people to believe it when we can go back and read for ourselves.

    Considering your comment, which frankly is a stereotyping generalization that you back up with zero information and I have no doubt in my mind if someone made it the opposite way you'd be waving the bigot flag around, about intelligence in your post I'd assume you'd show some yourself by not stating you prefaced something when you didn't and that you prefaced it with something you didn't even say.

    I'm not supposed to be offended by someone using the n-word, in casual conversation, but you can take me out of context to include yourself?????
    Talk about victimhood, and double standards.
    No, talk about Irony and using sarcasm to show your own BLATANT hypocracy. Someone said the n-word while talking about a news event and you suggested he was insensitive and borderline implied he was a racist.

    Meanwhile, you CLEARLY and fully classify ANYONE that speaks ill about Afrimative Action as an "underachieving white male".

    The blindness you have to your own hatred and bigotry while parading yourself around as some kind of king of tolerance that people should be ashamed to not live up to while you condemn people for stating FACTUAL things in casual conversation is what I was pointing out there.

    Only racists should be offended. If you're not one, ignore it.
    So once again we have an example of Aaron stating something and therefore it must be so. Fine then, only race baiters would be offended by the n-word. If you're not one, ignore it. I stated it, just like Aaron stated it, so it MUST be true.

    Quote Originally Posted by aaronssongs View Post
    Oh, pardon me. Did you not understand the statement? I said that it's always "underachieving white males" that have a problem with Affirmative Action.

    Are you an underachieving white male? Or do you have a problem with AA? Which is it?
    I have an issue with Afirmative Action, not because it has ever victomzied me, I don't believe it has, but because I believe at this point in time it is a detriminet to society both to minorities and to whites and because I do not believe that the government should be imposing such measures.

    Also, please find me any post where I'm talking about the "victem mentality".

    I'm sorry you dislike a mirror being held up to your face, but I'm not surprised you dislike it and choose it ignore it and instead shatter it so you can go on denying.

  4. #124
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 07:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    I was not going to let another persons ignorance defeat me and beat me up. I remember going to this guy to tattoo my arm. I will post a pic of the tattoo one of these days. It is maybe 3/4 inch letters and it makes my statement. If we allow words and PC lets many people never remove the sting from the words. It made me stronger and a better person to take that word to myself. Yes I could say I am queer. I am a dyke what is the problem. In this way I disarmed those that would hurt me with their own word.
    Because of the way you present that, I would never dream of using the "d" word in front of you.

  5. #125
    Global Moderator
    Engagement!
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,971

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    I was not going to let another persons ignorance defeat me and beat me up. I remember going to this guy to tattoo my arm. I will post a pic of the tattoo one of these days. It is maybe 3/4 inch letters and it makes my statement. If we allow words and PC lets many people never remove the sting from the words. It made me stronger and a better person to take that word to myself. Yes I could say I am queer. I am a dyke what is the problem. In this way I disarmed those that would hurt me with their own word.
    Thank you, and I agree.

    Now, I'm going to start this by saying that in no way shape or form am I painting this in anyway near the kind of thing that homosexuals or minorities or even people with disabilities have to put up with (as the godfather of a down syndrome baby you'd be amazed how many homosexual and minority people I hear going "that's retarded" often. Hell, there's a song where that's the main chorus line, but I digress). Its not, no where near it. However, the action was similar and I have the utmost respect for Inferno for doing what she did. I was a bit of a mid drifter when I was younger, never wanting to fully go off with the outcasts and friends with some of the more popular kids but neither fitting in fully with either. I liked video games, I played role playing games and things like magic the gathering, and was on occasion known to read comic books. I generally liked school and did well. In 4th grade I got told I had to wear glasses, so on the big specs came. I was shy, played in the band, and had a slight issue pronouncing R's correctly which I still have issues at times (always run when your last name begins with an R). I was routinely picked on by the more popular kids that weren't exactly happy with me hanging around as a geek, a nerd, etc. As I stated earlier, I'm not in any way shape or form trying to say this was even a 1/10th of the kind of ridicule that homosexuals or minorities face. However, as a kid, these things did hurt me and actually changed my attitude and caused me to change how I was, even causing me to be rather mean to some of my friends at one point which I later came to regret.

    As I got older and started realizing more things about emotions and the power people had over me I started calling myself a geek, actually liking the word and happily being labeled as such. I do so now because I realize that yeah, I have the tendancy to enjoy things that are "geeky" and to hell with people that dislike it, and I also know I have a tendancy to do things completely contrary to the typical "geeky" stereotype. Essentially, I no longer allowed it to be a word that I thought was bad but took it as a badge of simply what I enjoy and who I am.

    This is a miniscule example, and Inferno's is far greater, but they're cut from the same cloth (albiet mine's the size of a postage stamp and hers is the size of a blanket). In both cases, we were allowing other people control over us through words and in both cases we said "no" and stopped allowing those words to control us but instead just made them the same as anything else.....a word.
    Last edited by Zyphlin; 05-15-09 at 03:56 PM.

  6. #126
    activist professor Inferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tipping Velvet
    Last Seen
    07-01-09 @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Because of the way you present that, I would never dream of using the "d" word in front of you.
    I have had to live in my own skin. I have had to become comfortable in me. I am gentle with others and carefully select words because i remember when I was that 12 year old girl weeping on her bed.

    I thank you for the thoughtfulness about the D word. It is something that means much. It takes a lot to overcome when Like I was the different one in society. I couldn't back in 1959 expect society to play nice nice with me. I had o get tough.

    I am happy that many people do not have to suffer the slings and arrows of words anymore. i do wonder if I am this tough old bird now because i did suffer through it.
    Democracy is the road to socialism. Karl Marx
    Life member NY city Fisting Club!
    I am Zoochie Purple Quivering Ghost Bear a Tiki Bar Tarte, you want some of my Panties.

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 07:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    I have had to live in my own skin. I have had to become comfortable in me. I am gentle with others and carefully select words because i remember when I was that 12 year old girl weeping on her bed.

    I thank you for the thoughtfulness about the D word. It is something that means much. It takes a lot to overcome when Like I was the different one in society. I couldn't back in 1959 expect society to play nice nice with me. I had o get tough.

    I am happy that many people do not have to suffer the slings and arrows of words anymore. i do wonder if I am this tough old bird now because i did suffer through it.
    It's funny you say that because I get so disgusted with homos that cry foul against society like they have it sooooo bad. I, for one, have never really suffered any discrimination in my life for being gay. I have to wonder what some of these people who think life is so hard for a gay person now would have thought about being gay 30 or 40 years ago. I also wonder if, for all their bluster today, they would have had half the balls to back up a tenth of their conviction if they lived prior to the Stonewall Riots...

  8. #128
    Clown Prince of Politics
    Psychoclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hiding from the voices in my head.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,723

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Thank you, and I agree.

    Now, I'm going to start this by saying that in no way shape or form am I painting this in anyway near the kind of thing that homosexuals or minorities or even people with disabilities have to put up with (as the godfather of a down syndrome baby you'd be amazed how many homosexual and minority people I hear going "that's retarded" often. Hell, there's a song where that's the main chorus line, but I digress). Its not, no where near it. However, the action was similar and I have the utmost respect for Inferno for doing what she did. I was a bit of a mid drifter when I was younger, never wanting to fully go off with the outcasts and friends with some of the more popular kids but neither fitting in fully with either. I liked video games, I played role playing games and things like magic the gathering, and was on occasion known to read comic books. I generally liked school and did well. In 4th grade I got told I had to wear glasses, so on the big specs came. I was shy, played in the band, and had a slight issue pronouncing R's correctly which I still have issues at times (always run when your last name begins with an R). I was routinely picked on by the more popular kids that weren't exactly happy with me hanging around as a geek, a nerd, etc. As I stated earlier, I'm not in any way shape or form trying to say this was even a 1/10th of the kind of ridicule that homosexuals or minorities face. However, as a kid, these things did hurt me and actually changed my attitude and caused me to change how I was, even causing me to be rather mean to some of my friends at one point which I later came to regret.

    As I got older and started realizing more things about emotions and the power people had over me I started calling myself a geek, actually liking the word and happily being labeled as such. I do so now because I realize that yeah, I have the tendancy to enjoy things that are "geeky" and to hell with people that dislike it, and I also know I have a tendancy to do things completely contrary to the typical "geeky" stereotype. Essentially, I no longer allowed it to be a word that I thought was bad but took it as a badge of simply what I enjoy and who I am.

    This is a miniscule example, and Inferno's is far greater, but they're cut from the same cloth (albiet mine's the size of a postage stamp and hers is the size of a blanket). In both cases, we were allowing other people control over us through words and in both cases we said "no" and stopped allowing those words to control us but instead just made them the same as anything else.....a word.
    Pretty similar to my own experience growing up. It was about junior year that embraced my inner geek and said to hell with anyone who doesn't like it. One of the best decisions of my life really, because I learned just how irrelevant the opinions of ignorant and obnoxious people really are. I know so many people that today as adults worry "what people will think". My honest response has been for some time now, I don't give a damn what they think.
    Slipping into madness is good for the sake of comparison - Unknown.

  9. #129
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:56 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    86,498
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    It's funny you say that because I get so disgusted with homos that cry foul against society like they have it sooooo bad. I, for one, have never really suffered any discrimination in my life for being gay. I have to wonder what some of these people who think life is so hard for a gay person now would have thought about being gay 30 or 40 years ago. I also wonder if, for all their bluster today, they would have had half the balls to back up a tenth of their conviction if they lived prior to the Stonewall Riots...
    I have a close family member who came out a little over 30 years ago. I got to watch what it was like from close quarters back then. Today is nothing in comparison. That does not mean that the things that happens to gays today cannot be extremely painful though. People 100 years ago lived on far less than I have today, but today, I am working part time while hoping to someday get called back to my auto industry job, just trying to get by. The fact that things where worse for people 100 years ago does not mean that my situation does not suck for me.

    Does that make sense?

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    12-18-13 @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    495

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    * Ahh, the wonders of Irony.



    No, you singled EVERYONE out. Your words, once more:

    "Notice its always underachieving "white males" that always go off on AA."

    Now, perhaps I'm confused, but I always thought always meant every time. It seems pretty clear you're stating that the people "always" complain about AA are "underachieving white males". Did you not?

    Also, a note about preface. The definition of preface:

    1. a preliminary statement in a book by the book's author or editor, setting forth its purpose and scope, expressing acknowledgment of assistance from others, etc.
    2. an introductory part, as of a speech.
    3. something preliminary or introductory

    Hmm, that would seem to imply for you to have "prefaced" it by stating "if the shoe fits" it would've had to come BEFORE your original statement, yet that comment I quoted was the FIRST Thing you said.

    Furthermore, I looked through your entire post. Not a single time during the entire thing of it did you at all say "if the shoe fits". You can't just make **** up and expect people to believe it when we can go back and read for ourselves.

    Considering your comment, which frankly is a stereotyping generalization that you back up with zero information and I have no doubt in my mind if someone made it the opposite way you'd be waving the bigot flag around, about intelligence in your post I'd assume you'd show some yourself by not stating you prefaced something when you didn't and that you prefaced it with something you didn't even say.



    No, talk about Irony and using sarcasm to show your own BLATANT hypocracy. Someone said the n-word while talking about a news event and you suggested he was insensitive and borderline implied he was a racist.

    Meanwhile, you CLEARLY and fully classify ANYONE that speaks ill about Afrimative Action as an "underachieving white male".

    The blindness you have to your own hatred and bigotry while parading yourself around as some kind of king of tolerance that people should be ashamed to not live up to while you condemn people for stating FACTUAL things in casual conversation is what I was pointing out there.



    So once again we have an example of Aaron stating something and therefore it must be so. Fine then, only race baiters would be offended by the n-word. If you're not one, ignore it. I stated it, just like Aaron stated it, so it MUST be true.



    I have an issue with Afirmative Action, not because it has ever victomzied me, I don't believe it has, but because I believe at this point in time it is a detriminet to society both to minorities and to whites and because I do not believe that the government should be imposing such measures.

    Also, please find me any post where I'm talking about the "victem mentality".

    I'm sorry you dislike a mirror being held up to your face, but I'm not surprised you dislike it and choose it ignore it and instead shatter it so you can go on denying.
    Since you summarily dismissed anything that I said as irrelevant, or maligned, or suspect, do not feel so rained upon if I return the favor.
    Never before have I witnessed such hypocrisy (with a "s", and an "i" not an "a" and a "c").
    My caveat was made posts prior...and I did not feel I had to preface every subsequent post, seeing that you have been on the opposing side from outset.
    And you choose to play games with semantics.
    A equals B, discounting that C also equals B, and perhaps even D equals B....
    "It's always "underachieving white males" that go off on AA. Does not mean that some achieving white males, equally "go off on AA". You aligned with that that obviously is not true about yourself? Why? Did you feel that was the only option to raise your hand for? You choose to play the victim, while I do not.
    I'm forced to accept the racism and bigotry, which is germane to some, as "benign" and "sweet-smelling". Why? Because you and others say it is? More do as I say, not as I do. I don't play that. Sorry.
    I am not a racist or a bigot for calling others on their bigotry and racism. That was the tack that was being bandied about over at PF. It wasn't true there, and it's not true here. In fact, it is not true anywhere. It's denial on your parts, and failure to acknowledge that you benefit from "white privilege", and are intent on keeping it the status quo. You saying that the moon is made of green cheese, doesn't make it so. It's what you choose to believe, and insist that I believe. However we are free to believe whatever we choose...and I choose to believe you are deluded. In fact, your own words underscore the fact.
    It, apparently, isn't funny when the rabbit has the gun. The hunter is indignant that the rabbit would even attempt to touch the gun, much less handle it, pointing the barrel directly at the hunter. Who would have thunk?
    I have too many white friends and acquaintances and clients, in fact, that think I am the cat's meow, even if you don't. I don't need your validation. Thanks for offering it, though.
    Last edited by aaronssongs; 05-15-09 at 04:25 PM.

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •