View Poll Results: Are some words inherently offensive?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 30.00%
  • No

    21 70.00%
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 223

Thread: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

  1. #101
    Global Moderator
    Engagement!
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,970

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    It gave people at the time to achieve a modicum of success in fields that at the time they could not grow in. It helped those that were put down by by discrimination to be made more.

    Here is an interesting example. I was applying for University and took the entrance test. This goes back to 1970. My entrance test was in the top 3. The university was giving full pay scholarships to the top five. I was in. Full pay. The Dean called me for a meeting where he told me that I was just a woman and he was moving me down to position 6 because a man would better use the scholarship. I was just a woman he said and I would probably be home married to one of these guys having babies.

    That was affirmative action of another kind. It was me getting screwed by the system because I lacked a penis. Don't tell me about the poor males that may have felt some pain. They were never told they were less because they didn't have a vagina.

    This happened to blacks in favor of white males. It happened to women in favor of men. Affirmative Action promotes equality.
    That is a horrendous story, one I truly hope we have moved past in this country and that I think, at least in the majority of people I hope, we have moved past.

    That said...

    While Affirmative Action at one point may've been needed, how can you justify now the exact same situation potentially happening with someone going

    "I'm sorry you're not black, hispanic, or asian and you're male and you're christian so therefore despite meeting all the requirements for this scholarship, we're going to push you back".

    What I don't get with this thing is how someone can go through such a horrible and frankly completely unfair and WRONG of a situation.......and then 30 years later essentially be promoting something that now does the same thing but just changes the victem. Is that really "fixing" anything, or is it just changing it?

  2. #102
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,368

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by aaronssongs View Post
    go into the hood and use those words as freely as you do in this forum, in effect, putting your money where your mouth is...do that, and I'll concede.
    I've done that before.

    It was in response one guy looking at me and another white friend I was with and saying "Anyone bring any cheese for these crackers?" (good line, by the way)

    I said "That spook over there did" pointing at my other friend, who is black.

    We laughed at it.

  3. #103
    Global Moderator
    Engagement!
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,970

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    I was 12 in 1964 and i was called a queen and a dyke. It took me years to get over that. In 1964 they could have put me in a mental hospital if people thought I was a lesbian. I was so those words did have a certain power the sting as i took the words for my own identity fell away.
    Completely understandable, and I would never begrudge or scold a child or even truly an adult, but definitely a child, for being hurt by that.

    Earlier I said that generally someone is weak to allow someones words to hurt them. People, in our typical PC society, took that as to be meant as an insult, but it wasn't.

    Children are generally weaker than adults, both physically AND mentally. They are developing and forming their grasp upon the word. Their innocence is more firmly intacted and they tend to wear their emotions on their sleeves more. In many ways, emotionally, child are weaker than their adult counter parts. Far more open to crying, far more open to fall into fits of emotion, far more prone to be controlled by compulsions on average. That is not said to insult children, or even say children are bad, but is simply pointing out a biological situation with children. And because of this lack of control for emotions and this development words are more easily able to hurt.

    Its why a 5 year old may cry and be extremely upset if they're called a "mean doodoo head" where as I think most 25 year olds would just be confused if someone called them that and most 55 year old would probably almost laugh at the absurdity of it.

    You grew and your control and grasp of your emotional state became stronger, and as it became stronger people had less control over you through manipulating your emotions with their words.

  4. #104
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    12-18-13 @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    495

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I've done that before.

    It was in response one guy looking at me and another white friend I was with and saying "Anyone bring any cheese for these crackers?" (good line, by the way)

    I said "That spook over there did" pointing at my other friend, who is black.

    We laughed at it.
    Not the choice of words I was referring to....and you know it. Thanks for the anecdote, though.

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 07:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    It gave people at the time to achieve a modicum of success in fields that at the time they could not grow in. It helped those that were put down by by discrimination to be made more.

    Here is an interesting example. I was applying for University and took the entrance test. This goes back to 1970. My entrance test was in the top 3. The university was giving full pay scholarships to the top five. I was in. Full pay. The Dean called me for a meeting where he told me that I was just a woman and he was moving me down to position 6 because a man would better use the scholarship. I was just a woman he said and I would probably be home married to one of these guys having babies.

    That was affirmative action of another kind. It was me getting screwed by the system because I lacked a penis. Don't tell me about the poor males that may have felt some pain. They were never told they were less because they didn't have a vagina.

    This happened to blacks in favor of white males. It happened to women in favor of men. Affirmative Action promotes equality.
    And I disagree wholeheartedly. It promotes underachievement because it advances race/gender/etc over achievement and ability. You got screwed and your achievement meant nothing next to filling a quota and that is just wrong. Now, instead of a person of ability and competence, the university gets a lackluster male candidate. Underachievement advanced for the sake of a quota.

    I think that race should be completely left off the table in terms of making decisions of that nature. Affirmative action hurt way more than it helped.

  6. #106
    Global Moderator
    Engagement!
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,970

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I've done that before.

    It was in response one guy looking at me and another white friend I was with and saying "Anyone bring any cheese for these crackers?" (good line, by the way)

    I said "That spook over there did" pointing at my other friend, who is black.

    We laughed at it.
    If you were really a master of double entendres your friend would've also worked for the CIA

  7. #107
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,368

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by aaronssongs View Post
    Not the choice of words I was referring to....and you know it. Thanks for the anecdote, though.
    I thought it was just racial slurs in general being discussed. My bad.

    I wasn't offended by being called a cracker, though. Friggin' line was funny, too.

  8. #108
    activist professor Inferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tipping Velvet
    Last Seen
    07-01-09 @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    That is a horrendous story, one I truly hope we have moved past in this country and that I think, at least in the majority of people I hope, we have moved past.

    That said...

    While Affirmative Action at one point may've been needed, how can you justify now the exact same situation potentially happening with someone going

    "I'm sorry you're not black, hispanic, or asian and you're male and you're christian so therefore despite meeting all the requirements for this scholarship, we're going to push you back".

    What I don't get with this thing is how someone can go through such a horrible and frankly completely unfair and WRONG of a situation.......and then 30 years later essentially be promoting something that now does the same thing but just changes the victem. Is that really "fixing" anything, or is it just changing it?
    I see your point and accept it as true to a certain extent. As soon as we lose the idea of the first black coach of the first woman then we can lose affirmative action. When we all just become people instead of a gender color or race then we will have achieved true equality.
    Democracy is the road to socialism. Karl Marx
    Life member NY city Fisting Club!
    I am Zoochie Purple Quivering Ghost Bear a Tiki Bar Tarte, you want some of my Panties.

  9. #109
    activist professor Inferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tipping Velvet
    Last Seen
    07-01-09 @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Completely understandable, and I would never begrudge or scold a child or even truly an adult, but definitely a child, for being hurt by that.

    Earlier I said that generally someone is weak to allow someones words to hurt them. People, in our typical PC society, took that as to be meant as an insult, but it wasn't.

    Children are generally weaker than adults, both physically AND mentally. They are developing and forming their grasp upon the word. Their innocence is more firmly intacted and they tend to wear their emotions on their sleeves more. In many ways, emotionally, child are weaker than their adult counter parts. Far more open to crying, far more open to fall into fits of emotion, far more prone to be controlled by compulsions on average. That is not said to insult children, or even say children are bad, but is simply pointing out a biological situation with children. And because of this lack of control for emotions and this development words are more easily able to hurt.

    Its why a 5 year old may cry and be extremely upset if they're called a "mean doodoo head" where as I think most 25 year olds would just be confused if someone called them that and most 55 year old would probably almost laugh at the absurdity of it.

    You grew and your control and grasp of your emotional state became stronger, and as it became stronger people had less control over you through manipulating your emotions with their words.
    It also helped when i had the words I'M Queer tattooed on my arm.
    Democracy is the road to socialism. Karl Marx
    Life member NY city Fisting Club!
    I am Zoochie Purple Quivering Ghost Bear a Tiki Bar Tarte, you want some of my Panties.

  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    12-18-13 @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    495

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    It gave people at the time to achieve a modicum of success in fields that at the time they could not grow in. It helped those that were put down by by discrimination to be made more.

    Here is an interesting example. I was applying for University and took the entrance test. This goes back to 1970. My entrance test was in the top 3. The university was giving full pay scholarships to the top five. I was in. Full pay. The Dean called me for a meeting where he told me that I was just a woman and he was moving me down to position 6 because a man would better use the scholarship. I was just a woman he said and I would probably be home married to one of these guys having babies.

    That was affirmative action of another kind. It was me getting screwed by the system because I lacked a penis. Don't tell me about the poor males that may have felt some pain. They were never told they were less because they didn't have a vagina.

    This happened to blacks in favor of white males. It happened to women in favor of men. Affirmative Action promotes equality.
    Notice its always underachieving "white males" that always go off on AA.
    Then some of them have the nerve to cite "reverse discrimination". It ain't discrimination when all roads lead to you. Heck, they are just being asked to share a piece of the pie, and get panties in a wad for the asking. They, collectively, have no intention in sharing any parts of the pie...so, we have AA to balance things out. And contrary to popular belief, AA insures that "qualified" applicants get consideration, and not the lie that "substandard" or unqualified applicants "get the nod". That's always the mantra they throw out...I never heard such whining, and pity parties. "Woe is us..the negroes are taking jobs( and college positions) which rightfully belong to us....even though we're ordinary, and barely graduated from high school, scored less than 700 on the SAT, but because we built this country, with our sweat and bare hands, we deserve our front place in line....cuz we're white and right".
    Bull hockey. That is the myth folks like myself and others are trying to destroy. Try competing on a level playing field, and see how many get through. There are a whole lot of blacks smarter than a whole lot of whites. It's genetics, and biology. Breathe.

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •