View Poll Results: Are some words inherently offensive?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 30.00%
  • No

    21 70.00%
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 223

Thread: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 05:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    I never got very far in linguistics in university, but in one of the courses I took we talked about vulgarity. Vulgar words get their power by society being told not to use them because they're bad and offensive. So in theory, if casual use increases then offensive impact will decrease over time.

  2. #92
    Student Gwendoline's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-26-14 @ 05:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    244

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    What do you find offensive about that? Affirmative action took away any semblance of reward for achievement and allowed underachievers the same status within the african american community as their ambitious counterparts.
    What do I find offensive about that? No, nothing... nada

    Truly, you're a benevolent human being...

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 07:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwendoline View Post
    What do I find offensive about that? No, nothing... nada

    Truly, you're a benevolent human being...
    I don't understand what you find offensive about acknowledgment that affirmative action was a big mistake that hurt minorities more than it helped them. All the cutsie little emoticons in the world aren't going to make your argument for you so if you would kindly step up your game and explain your offense like an adult, we might get somewhere.

  4. #94
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,225

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    I post that i am lesbian and how much power and pain certain words could have over me. It was when i made them my own identity that i took the power out of these harmful words. I had to learn. Now I am 57 I did this long ago. t the time i was coming out we were afraid of these terms as we could be arrested for being lesbian or gay. The terms did have power.

    The communities have made these terms their own to disarm them. The N Word in a black neighborhood. If you use it for yourself you take away the sting.
    My uncle's b oyfriend claims he can use the term "fag" because he is one. I still find the term offesive.

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    12-18-13 @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    495

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    I post that i am lesbian and how much power and pain certain words could have over me. It was when i made them my own identity that i took the power out of these harmful words. I had to learn. Now I am 57 I did this long ago. t the time i was coming out we were afraid of these terms as we could be arrested for being lesbian or gay. The terms did have power.

    The communities have made these terms their own to disarm them. The N Word in a black neighborhood. If you use it for yourself you take away the sting.

    Well, you have brought something to bear.
    All those using racial pejoratives and words which you feel folks should get and be over....go into the hood and use those words as freely as you do in this forum, in effect, putting your money where your mouth is...do that, and I'll concede. Ah, but we all know that you won't because cojones are in question...and in its' place is a dry socket.

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 07:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by aaronssongs View Post
    Well, you have brought something to bear.
    All those using racial pejoratives and words which you feel folks should get and be over....go into the hood and use those words as freely as you do in this forum, in effect, putting your money where your mouth is...do that, and I'll concede. Ah, but we all know that you won't because cojones are in question...and in its' place is a dry socket.
    I think not going into the "hood" and stirring up a herd of vile, violent beasts is less a question of cajones and more a matter of intelligence.

  7. #97
    Global Moderator
    Engagement!
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,954

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    I saw the way my reaction gave those words a power over my life.

    ...

    Words hurt and cause pain and have power as long as we allow them too.
    For those that were confused by my earlier posts, this is essentially what I meant saying that it is on us whether we allow words to offend us or anger us or make us sad. That does not mean that the people saying them aren't ignorant, rude, offensive, or mean. What it does mean is that if we let those ignorant, rude, offensive, or mean words have such an affect on us that is because we are ALLOWING it to and we are giving them power over us by doing so.
    You down with TPP?

  8. #98
    Global Moderator
    Engagement!
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,954

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    My uncle's b oyfriend claims he can use the term "fag" because he is one. I still find the term offesive.
    Your uncles boyfriend is Mr. Garrison?
    You down with TPP?

  9. #99
    activist professor Inferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tipping Velvet
    Last Seen
    07-01-09 @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    What do you find offensive about that? Affirmative action took away any semblance of reward for achievement and allowed underachievers the same status within the african american community as their ambitious counterparts.
    It gave people at the time to achieve a modicum of success in fields that at the time they could not grow in. It helped those that were put down by by discrimination to be made more.

    Here is an interesting example. I was applying for University and took the entrance test. This goes back to 1970. My entrance test was in the top 3. The university was giving full pay scholarships to the top five. I was in. Full pay. The Dean called me for a meeting where he told me that I was just a woman and he was moving me down to position 6 because a man would better use the scholarship. I was just a woman he said and I would probably be home married to one of these guys having babies.

    That was affirmative action of another kind. It was me getting screwed by the system because I lacked a penis. Don't tell me about the poor males that may have felt some pain. They were never told they were less because they didn't have a vagina.

    This happened to blacks in favor of white males. It happened to women in favor of men. Affirmative Action promotes equality.
    Democracy is the road to socialism. Karl Marx
    Life member NY city Fisting Club!
    I am Zoochie Purple Quivering Ghost Bear a Tiki Bar Tarte, you want some of my Panties.

  10. #100
    activist professor Inferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tipping Velvet
    Last Seen
    07-01-09 @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Are some words inherently offensive or is context important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    For those that were confused by my earlier posts, this is essentially what I meant saying that it is on us whether we allow words to offend us or anger us or make us sad. That does not mean that the people saying them aren't ignorant, rude, offensive, or mean. What it does mean is that if we let those ignorant, rude, offensive, or mean words have such an affect on us that is because we are ALLOWING it to and we are giving them power over us by doing so.
    I was 12 in 1964 and i was called a queen and a dyke. It took me years to get over that. In 1964 they could have put me in a mental hospital if people thought I was a lesbian. I was so those words did have a certain power the sting as i took the words for my own identity fell away.
    Democracy is the road to socialism. Karl Marx
    Life member NY city Fisting Club!
    I am Zoochie Purple Quivering Ghost Bear a Tiki Bar Tarte, you want some of my Panties.

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •