View Poll Results: What Should the Republican Party Focus On?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fiscal Conservatism

    46 92.00%
  • Social Conservatism

    8 16.00%
  • National Defense

    12 24.00%
  • Nationalism

    5 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 102

Thread: How to Revive the Republican Party

  1. #91
    Educator nerv14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    02-07-11 @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    601

    Re: How to Revive the Republican Party

    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasPaine View Post
    I agree. We haven't had a conservative candidate since Reagan. We also need to paint our own picture of ourselves. We've been real good at standing back and letting the MSM define the republican party. And there have been enough RINOs like Specter, Snow and Collins to lend credence to the MSMs definition. We have to take back our brand and market it.

    Screw this big tent stuff. What do we need a tent for. A tent of any size implies boundaries. Why do we want to limit ourselves? Let's emphasize low taxes, low government and strong defense. Let's start to follow the Constitution again. We have enough serious problems right now that all the social issues rank near the bottom of importance in most polls. So let's just leave them alone. If questioned about the social stuff, the answer should be that that's up to the states to decide.
    You could almost call Bill Clinton conservative because he reduced both spending per/gdp and not to mention his surplus. Not even Reagan did that because of his (smart) increased military spending.

    But Bill didn't support a strong military like Reagan of course. Smart move after the Cold War had ended though.

  2. #92
    User ThomasPaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Suburban Chicago
    Last Seen
    06-12-09 @ 07:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    47

    Re: How to Revive the Republican Party

    Quote Originally Posted by nerv14 View Post
    You could almost call Bill Clinton conservative because he reduced both spending per/gdp and not to mention his surplus. Not even Reagan did that because of his (smart) increased military spending.

    But Bill didn't support a strong military like Reagan of course. Smart move after the Cold War had ended though.
    The Gingrich Congress kept Clinton in check. That's why he didn't do much damage other than when he had his pants down.
    The surplus was primarily due to the dot com bubble and we know what happened to that (I still own my JDSUniphase stock).

    Clinton's dismantling of the military was not a smart move. It helped give us 9/11.

  3. #93
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: How to Revive the Republican Party

    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasPaine View Post
    Clinton's dismantling of the military was not a smart move. It helped give us 9/11.
    How exactly would a stronger military have prevented 19 guys from hijacking planes which took off from American airports?
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #94
    Educator nerv14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    02-07-11 @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    601

    Re: How to Revive the Republican Party

    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasPaine View Post
    The Gingrich Congress kept Clinton in check. That's why he didn't do much damage other than when he had his pants down.
    The surplus was primarily due to the dot com bubble and we know what happened to that (I still own my JDSUniphase stock).

    Clinton's dismantling of the military was not a smart move. It helped give us 9/11.
    True, but Clinton also vetoed many of the requests of congress for tax cuts that would have lowered the surplus or made it a defecit. Everyone played their part. My point is that if it was any other president, the surplus from the dot com book would have been spent on something. With a divided government the politicians always find ways of running a defecit... so congress and Bill should get the credit that they deserve,


    The military doesn't stop terorist attacks. Maybe if 9/11 was a conventional military attack then he could of stopped it by using more money.

    Secret service maybe could of worked, but i don't think there was any way to stop 9/11 with such lazy airport security.

  5. #95
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    86,412
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: How to Revive the Republican Party

    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasPaine View Post
    The Gingrich Congress kept Clinton in check. That's why he didn't do much damage other than when he had his pants down.
    The surplus was primarily due to the dot com bubble and we know what happened to that (I still own my JDSUniphase stock).

    Clinton's dismantling of the military was not a smart move. It helped give us 9/11.
    Please elaborate on Clinton dismantling the military. I think this is a much exaggerated claim.

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: How to Revive the Republican Party

    Quote Originally Posted by nerv14 View Post
    You could almost call Bill Clinton conservative because he reduced both spending per/gdp and not to mention his surplus. Not even Reagan did that because of his (smart) increased military spending.

    But Bill didn't support a strong military like Reagan of course. Smart move after the Cold War had ended though.
    Yeah, there's no point in mentioning a surplus that didn't exist.

  7. #97
    User ThomasPaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Suburban Chicago
    Last Seen
    06-12-09 @ 07:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    47

    Re: How to Revive the Republican Party

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    How exactly would a stronger military have prevented 19 guys from hijacking planes which took off from American airports?
    The military cuts and the feeble attampts at responses like the baby aspirin factory boondoggle showed our enemy that we were weak and unwilling to fight. In the middle east, weakness is death. Just ask Israel. Every concession the Israeli's have made (showing weakness) has been met with stronger demands, suicide bombs or missiles. We show weakness, we get 9/11. Bush comes along and says we don't play that game anymore and we haven't been attacked since. Coincidence? I don't think so.

    And now? Hell, the Somali rag-tag pirates don't even respect a U.S. flagged ship. Who knows what's next...

  8. #98
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 03:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: How to Revive the Republican Party

    This is hilarious.

    When you have people like Mitt Romney, Eric Cantor, and Jeb Bush trying to "create a new America" you have a clear problem for the Republican party.

    Its like learning new tricks from old dogs. The issues of the party are the same, the platforms are the same, the people are the same. They need new people. Even if it means Sarah Palin, regardless if whether she is good or bad, she is new, and she is part of the new image of the GOP.


  9. #99
    Sage
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,772

    Re: How to Revive the Republican Party

    Social Conservatism, (which at this time 22% of the poll thinks the GOP should focus more on,) is the MAIN reason, IMO, that the GOP has been kicked to the curb by mainstream America.

    They need to leave morals up to the church and quit trying to stick their party's noses in people's personal lives.

    Twenty-two percent couldn't get a dog catcher elected (unless five or more candidates are in the running.)

    Also, all to often, those pundits (and their supporters of the government getting into the business of morals,) are often so crude and offensive when presenting their views to the majority of folks who simply disagree with them, that they do their party more harm than good. It's not always their stance on any particular issue but more their approach. You can be as right as rain but once you're branded a prick, ain't nobody gonna care if you are right or wrong.

    Some people place no value on just being "cool." And that's their right. But they shouldn't whine because most folks prefer not to buddy up with a-holes. They can keep "purifing" the party (achtung!!) and go Limbaugh nuts if they want too. But it ain't gonna score 'em any points.

    There was a time when being a republican was cool. I so long for days past.
    Last edited by Captain America; 05-05-09 at 06:06 PM.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  10. #100
    Mod Apologist

    missypea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,152

    Re: How to Revive the Republican Party

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Social Conservatism, (which at this time 22% of the poll thinks the GOP should focus more on,) is the MAIN reason, IMO, that the GOP has been kicked to the curb by mainstream America.

    They need to leave morals up to the church and quit trying to stick their party's noses in people's personal lives.

    Twenty-two percent couldn't get a dog catcher elected (unless five or more candidates are in the running.)

    Also, all to often, those pundits (and their supporters of the government getting into the business of morals,) are often so crude and offensive when presenting their views to the majority of folks who simply disagree with them, that they do their party more harm than good. It's not always their stance on any particular issue but more their approach. You can be as right as rain but once you're branded a prick, ain't nobody gonna care if you are right or wrong.

    Some people place no value on just being "cool." And that's their right. But they shouldn't whine because most folks prefer not to buddy up with a-holes. They can keep "purifing" the party (achtung!!) and go Limbaugh nuts if they want too. But it ain't gonna score 'em any points.

    There was a time when being a republican was cool. I so long for days past.
    Great post, CA.

    I don't think many would believe it but at one time I was a Republican, then I shifted to Independent, then I shifted to a Democrat.

    Looking back, I think the core reason for the shifts came down to the social conservative issues.


    I would chat with her when I'm feeling particularly snarky, but I wouldn't ever call her on the phone.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •