View Poll Results: How Worried Are You About Swine Flu?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very Worried (taking precautions)

    6 9.38%
  • Slightly Concerned

    24 37.50%
  • In The Middle (neutral/unsure)

    11 17.19%
  • I Don't Care (no interest/no action)

    23 35.94%
  • Other

    0 0%
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 111

Thread: Swine Flu

  1. #51
    Global Moderator
    Engagement!
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,945

    Re: Swine Flu

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    You compared this to bird flu earlier, Zyph, and that is not a good comparison. WHO never elevated the threat level to 4 in either of those illnesses, and they are on the verge of lifting it to 5 right now over this flu.

    To put that into perspective, the level system was introduced because of the bird flu, and has never topped 3 since that time over the bird flu. That means that those who know about these things believe this strain is a far more significant risk than the bird flu ever was.

    Instead of using the media's idiocy to gauge the threat level, you should be using the people who never really freaked out about bird flu as your gauge.

    The biggest difference being human-to-human transmission. This is not occurring with the bird flu at high rates, but is with swine flu.

    Reasonable precautions would be appropriate in this scenario. For example: I would normally not seek immediate medical attention if I had flu-like symptoms. I would rest and take fluids. Now, If I have flu-like symptoms I will seek medical attention. I will also replace my normal friendly handshake with an Obama-approved terrorist fist-bump and wash my hands more often after contacting other people.

    I'm not about to stockpile surgical masks or anything, but I think reasonable precautions are warranted in this scenario.
    And I guess this is actually a better representation of what I'm thinking when I say that I'm not really that worried about it. I'm not completely and utterly thinking its all made up, and yes I probably will find myself washing my hands a bit more often or being a bit more observant to flu symptoms. But then, if this was getting even half the type of media coverage its getting I'd probably do that simply because there's some truth to the fact that its out there and may as well take a few extra basic precautions.

    Its the people that are now forgoing eating pork because they think they'll get it. Its the people that think they need to walk around with surgical masks on. Its the people that are acting like this is the next coming of the black plague that bother me.

    There's taking reasonable precautions to a disease that legitimatelly is real, just like bird flu or sars or whatever is real and just like the normal flu is real, and then there's going over the top and blowing it out of proportion to great lengths.

    I guess when I talk about my "worried" level I do it relative to the general atmosphere I see around me.

    I'm keeping an eye on it out of curiosity, but as you say, I'm doing so through slightly more reputable sources than our idiotic ratings driven loves to stir up fears media.
    You down with TPP?

  2. #52
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    09-25-16 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,365

    Re: Swine Flu

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    And I guess this is actually a better representation of what I'm thinking when I say that I'm not really that worried about it. I'm not completely and utterly thinking its all made up, and yes I probably will find myself washing my hands a bit more often or being a bit more observant to flu symptoms. But then, if this was getting even half the type of media coverage its getting I'd probably do that simply because there's some truth to the fact that its out there and may as well take a few extra basic precautions.

    Its the people that are now forgoing eating pork because they think they'll get it. Its the people that think they need to walk around with surgical masks on. Its the people that are acting like this is the next coming of the black plague that bother me.

    There's taking reasonable precautions to a disease that legitimatelly is real, just like bird flu or sars or whatever is real and just like the normal flu is real, and then there's going over the top and blowing it out of proportion to great lengths.

    I guess when I talk about my "worried" level I do it relative to the general atmosphere I see around me.

    I'm keeping an eye on it out of curiosity, but as you say, I'm doing so through slightly more reputable sources than our idiotic ratings driven loves to stir up fears media.
    If they elevate all the way to 6 and I have still not come down with it, then I'll be walking around in a mask.

    And either way, when the vaccine becomes available, assuming I haven't caught it by then, I'll be getting that shot. But I should add that this is in no small part due to the fact that I take care of someone who has a compromised respiratory system.

  3. #53
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    09-26-12 @ 12:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Swine Flu

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    And I guess this is actually a better representation of what I'm thinking when I say that I'm not really that worried about it. I'm not completely and utterly thinking its all made up, and yes I probably will find myself washing my hands a bit more often or being a bit more observant to flu symptoms. But then, if this was getting even half the type of media coverage its getting I'd probably do that simply because there's some truth to the fact that its out there and may as well take a few extra basic precautions.

    Its the people that are now forgoing eating pork because they think they'll get it. Its the people that think they need to walk around with surgical masks on. Its the people that are acting like this is the next coming of the black plague that bother me.

    There's taking reasonable precautions to a disease that legitimatelly is real, just like bird flu or sars or whatever is real and just like the normal flu is real, and then there's going over the top and blowing it out of proportion to great lengths.

    I guess when I talk about my "worried" level I do it relative to the general atmosphere I see around me.

    I'm keeping an eye on it out of curiosity, but as you say, I'm doing so through slightly more reputable sources than our idiotic ratings driven loves to stir up fears media.
    I think i am more in agreement with Zyphlin.

    I believe this is a serious problem and precautions need to be taken in order to stop the spread. However, I do not think the media hype is doing any good for the well-being of people, especially on a psychological level.

    The dichotomy of human ailments is quite interesting. That there are cases where the illness can, practically, be cured by making the patient think they are getting better (basically the placebo effect).
    I feel that this can also have an opposite effect if the headlines fear-monger and headline "you gonna get sick". Never, never, never is panic a good course of action.

    People drown in swimming pools all the time, and I do believe (though lacking source) that swimming pools, at the time, have claimed more victims than the Swine Flu.

    To us, death happening in a small time-span scares us almost ****lessly, and I think that is why we are over reacting.

    Bottom-line:
    Take precautions, Don't Panic, and Stop the scaring.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  4. #54
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 10:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Swine Flu

    Eh.

    People should be more worried about heart diease. Not to say that you shouldn't be aware of people coughing around you excessively, but you're far more likely to die from mundane things then stuff like this. And that avoid airports if you can.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  5. #55
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    09-25-16 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,365

    Re: Swine Flu

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Eh.

    People should be more worried about heart diease. Not to say that you shouldn't be aware of people coughing around you excessively, but you're far more likely to die from mundane things then stuff like this. And that avoid airports if you can.
    Imminence is a factor in fear. People don't fear something that is in their distant future, but they do fear something that can strike in the near future.

    For example, at 31, in reasonably good shape, with excellent cholesterol numbers and average blood pressure readings, I don't fear heart disease all that much. I take minimal precautions and go to my doctor once every year or two to get a check up, but if I were to die form heart disease in the next year or two, it'd be pretty much amazing.

    Whereas, I can catch the flu next week and be dead in three.

    For me, heart disease is much less fear-worthy.

    But I do understand your point. I saw this woman on TV who was so fat I expected to see propeller scars criss-crossing her back and she was talking about how scared she was over this flu.

    Seriously, bitch, if you feared Krispy Kreme as much as the flu you might actually live to 60!

  6. #56
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    09-26-12 @ 12:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Swine Flu

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Eh.

    People should be more worried about heart diease. Not to say that you shouldn't be aware of people coughing around you excessively, but you're far more likely to die from mundane things then stuff like this. And that avoid airports if you can.
    Good point.

    People should also be afraid of that uncertain, plausibly problematic, second that may or may not crush them with a bus/car/motorcade when they are crossing the road.

    We try to fight death. But even the Ancient Greeks knew that Death is partially a God, and the only real way to defeat a God is to ignore her.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  7. #57
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Littleton, Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-21-15 @ 06:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,036

    Re: Swine Flu

    One confirmed case of Swine Flu and 37 other Marines are quarantied in 29 Palms today. That's a platoon.

    The Associated Press: Commandant says Calif. Marine may have swine flu


    .....I still have no interest. Some Chicken Noodle Soup and some meds and and all is well.
    Last edited by MSgt; 04-29-09 at 04:27 PM.

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  8. #58
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    09-26-12 @ 12:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Swine Flu

    Quote Originally Posted by GySgt View Post
    38 Marines are quarantied in 29 Palms.
    Geez.
    I hope you're staying clear.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  9. #59
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Littleton, Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-21-15 @ 06:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,036

    Re: Swine Flu

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    Geez.
    I hope you're staying clear.
    They pump us so full of vaccines and immunity meds that I don't worry about such things. Just this morning I got Typhoid.

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  10. #60
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    09-26-12 @ 12:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Swine Flu

    Quote Originally Posted by GySgt View Post
    They pump us so full of vaccines and immunity meds that I don't worry about such things. Just this morning I got Typhoid.
    Haha.

    Robot much?

    I hear cyborgs are the real deal.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •