View Poll Results: Is this a "strong argument" for banning 'assault weapons'?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, because...

    6 11.11%
  • No, because...

    46 85.19%
  • Other

    2 3.70%
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 313

Thread: Is this a "strong argument" for banning 'assault weapons'?

  1. #21
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    48,241

    Re: Is this a "strong argument" for banning 'assault weapons'?

    Quote Originally Posted by nerv14 View Post
    and i dont' see how those reasons will be impeded by getting rid of assult weapons.
    A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Is this a "strong argument" for banning 'assault weapons'?

    Quote Originally Posted by nerv14 View Post
    Most of Carter's reasons seemed pretty poor, but I agree with him in that assult weapons can kill many people at once.

    Even though I roughly consider myself pro-gun, my reason are for hunting, self defence, overthrowing this gov, protection against invasions, and getting rid of ascess to all types of guns doesn't reduce crime.

    and i dont' see how those reasons will be impeded by getting rid of assult weapons.
    Hmmmm....the reasons may not be impeded by eliminating "assualt" weapons, but successfully completing some of those missions certainly will be.

    Wanna try overthrowing the government with peashooters? If a hundred million man horde of Chinese invaders hits the beach, do you want a single-shot .22 to hold them off, or a fully automatic squirt-gun of a bullet thrower in your hands?

  3. #23
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Is this a "strong argument" for banning 'assault weapons'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Gee, I said "assualt" weapons, didn't I?

    You can't argue against what's posted so you have to go nuclear non-sequitur on us, or what?
    It's not non-sequitor. The fact that we can all agree on not letting ordinary citizens own nuclear weapons- we can all agree on that, right?- proves beyond doubt that there is a certain level of power beyond which marketable weapons should not legally go. The only question remaining is where that level is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Yes I do. Who are you to say I don't?
    Someone who doesn't want his whole family blown away before I can even pick up a weapon of my own?

  4. #24
    blond bombshell

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    uk
    Last Seen
    10-19-12 @ 09:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,729

    Re: Is this a "strong argument" for banning 'assault weapons'?

    The horse has left the stable.
    The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Is this a "strong argument" for banning 'assault weapons'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    It's not non-sequitor. The fact that we can all agree on not letting ordinary citizens own nuclear weapons- we can all agree on that, right?- proves beyond doubt that there is a certain level of power beyond which marketable weapons should not legally go. The only question remaining is where that level is.
    The fact of the matter, however, is that the Second Amendment was referring specifically to handguns and rifles, as any reading of the founding documents reveals, and thus going nuclear is a non-sequitur.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Someone who doesn't want his whole family blown away before I can even pick up a weapon of my own?
    Teach his whole family how to use guns in self-defense, then. How hard is that?

    Then make sure they have the guns available to protect themselves with.

    Trying to prevent others from getting guns is both impossible and unconstitutional.

  6. #26
    Educator nerv14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    02-07-11 @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    601

    Re: Is this a "strong argument" for banning 'assault weapons'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
    yeah, yeah, yeah...

    and the first amendment is violated when I yell fire in a crowded building...

  7. #27
    Educator nerv14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    02-07-11 @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    601

    Re: Is this a "strong argument" for banning 'assault weapons'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Hmmmm....the reasons may not be impeded by eliminating "assualt" weapons, but successfully completing some of those missions certainly will be.

    Wanna try overthrowing the government with peashooters? If a hundred million man horde of Chinese invaders hits the beach, do you want a single-shot .22 to hold them off, or a fully automatic squirt-gun of a bullet thrower in your hands?
    if you want to overthrow your government or wage a guerilla war, all you need is a gun that can shoot far. not that i know... but you don't need a fully automatic gun.

    Im just trying to get the best of both worlds as best i can, no gun policy can be perfect

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Is this a "strong argument" for banning 'assault weapons'?

    Quote Originally Posted by nerv14 View Post
    if you want to overthrow your government or wage a guerilla war, all you need is a gun that can shoot far. not that i know... but you don't need a fully automatic gun.
    Sure you don't, if the government you're trying to overthrow has only one soldier. Frankly, single-shot long distance shooting wouldn't be effective against the United States government. Something about lines of command or authority or whatever it's called in the Constitution makes that option impractical.

    Quote Originally Posted by nerv14 View Post
    Im just trying to get the best of both worlds as best i can, no gun policy can be perfect
    The best of which worlds? The best option is to allow the citizen his freedom to arm himself with those firearms he personally sees fit to use.

    It's really not a choice anyone is morally able to make for him or constitutionally allowed to interfere with.

  9. #29
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    13,897

    Re: Is this a "strong argument" for banning 'assault weapons'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    The best of which worlds? The best option is to allow the citizen his freedom to arm himself with those firearms he personally sees fit to use.

    It's really not a choice anyone is morally able to make for him or constitutionally allowed to interfere with.
    So say a citizen wants to arm himself with a rocket launcher, should he or she be able to just go down to the local gun show and buy it?
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  10. #30
    Educator nerv14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    02-07-11 @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    601

    Re: Is this a "strong argument" for banning 'assault weapons'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Sure you don't, if the government you're trying to overthrow has only one soldier. Frankly, single-shot long distance shooting wouldn't be effective against the United States government. Something about lines of command or authority or whatever it's called in the Constitution makes that option impractical.



    The best of which worlds? The best option is to allow the citizen his freedom to arm himself with those firearms he personally sees fit to use.

    It's really not a choice anyone is morally able to make for him or constitutionally allowed to interfere with.
    If someone has a gun and they want to kill someone they should be able to do that. However, that doesn't mean that they should be able to kill many people at once with an assult rifle.


    huh? how wouldn't a single shot gun be effective eagainst overthrowing a goverenment?

    my main thought is that you can pick off many soldiers in a huge city very easily. Also, if youve got a big group of semi-automatics, you could take down any government building.

    as I said, the Constitution in its current form was meant to have some leeway in some issues.

    Can people use bullets that have uranium in them?
    Can we tax guns at all? (a normal sales tax is still infringing on the right to own a gun)

    and of course, there are many excepts in the first amendment.

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •