View Poll Results: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Family Member?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    61 80.26%
  • No

    15 19.74%
Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 439

Thread: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

  1. #51
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    48,269

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    This hypothetical scenario is an attempt to gauge one's moral position on torture. It is not meant to elicit idiotic references to the television show 24. That a hypothetical is unlikely to occur is irrelevant - they are intended to subject our moral suppositions to scrutiny by forcing us to make a choice. Having said that, please answer the question with a YES or NO answer followed by an explanation.

    If you had to brutally torture a person in order to save the lives of your family, would you do it?

    The hypothetical assumes said person is a murderous thug who is directly responsible for endangering your family.


    Answer: Yes.

    Explanation: Because I hold the lives of my family in a higher regard than murderous thugs.
    Would you kill your daughter, shoot her in the face, to save 30 other lives?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #52
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Would you kill your daughter, shoot her in the face, to save 30 other lives?
    Nope. I would, however, kill those 30 to save my daughter.

  3. #53
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Nope. I would, however, kill those 30 to save my daughter.
    That, I would do in -two- heartbeats.

  4. #54
    R.I.P. Léo
    bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    05-17-12 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,649

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler View Post
    So what would you do? Nothing? Ask them politely? Whats your solution?
    When policemen are looking for criminals, they don't kidnap one of their parent and start removing his skin. Instead they use other methods to gather informations: observation, mail interception/phone recording, covert agents...these methods are both more reliable and ethic

  5. #55
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Last Seen
    01-13-10 @ 07:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    146

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Yes, I would, without a second thought.

    If I could torture someone, I'd refuse to let them die Using that shock thingy that they used in hospitals to resuscitate dying patients.

  6. #56
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sacramento California
    Last Seen
    08-06-11 @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    706

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Nope. I would, however, kill those 30 to save my daughter.
    Let's say they're children. Are you so much more important than the parents of those 30 children?
    "We may have destroyed this country, but we got rich doing it!" --The GOP
    There is a special place in hell for those who care only about themselves.

  7. #57
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by faminedynasty View Post
    Let's say they're children. Are you so much more important than the parents of those 30 children?
    Couldn't tell you. I can tell you that my child is more important than every last mother's son and daughter on God's green Earth.

  8. #58
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    That, I would do in -two- heartbeats.
    What if 16 of those 30 are people in the line of succession to be POTUS?
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  9. #59
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    What if 16 of those 30 are people in the line of succession to be POTUS?
    I'd sing "My Country 'Tis of Thee" afterwards.

  10. #60
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    05-17-16 @ 11:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    This hypothetical scenario is an attempt to gauge one's moral position on torture. It is not meant to elicit idiotic references to the television show 24. That a hypothetical is unlikely to occur is irrelevant - they are intended to subject our moral suppositions to scrutiny by forcing us to make a choice. Having said that, please answer the question with a YES or NO answer followed by an explanation.

    If you had to brutally torture a person in order to save the lives of your family, would you do it?

    The hypothetical assumes said person is a murderous thug who is directly responsible for endangering your family.


    Answer: Yes.

    Explanation: Because I hold the lives of my family in a higher regard than murderous thugs.
    No.
    I would not torture for no reason.


Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •