View Poll Results: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Family Member?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    61 80.26%
  • No

    15 19.74%
Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 439

Thread: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

  1. #331
    User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    WI
    Last Seen
    07-22-09 @ 11:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    42

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    I said in one of my earlier posts that in many causes I would be willing to give my life. There is no cause nor reason for me ever be willing to resort to the enemies tactics or to kill.
    The sense that I get (not necessarily from your post) is that one who will not fight back is seen as weak. It is not weakness. You never yield to the level of an oppressor. You never submit to their reign. The only power that they have over us is that which we grant them. It is when we sell out our values and noble ideals that we become their slaves and the enemy wins over us.
    When the US decided that torture was a good thing that is when we lost the moral high ground and told the enemy that we are no better than you are. That is when the enemy took away our noble view. That was when we lost.
    It is true when you think of this. An Eye for an Eye eventually makes the entire world blind.

    To sink to the level of an oppressor is to become them.
    Well said Inferno!

    Several expressions come to mind with this: 'practice what you preach', 'lead by example', and 'do unto others'. Violence only begets violence.

    -k
    Care to read a little? Fiction and articles viewable at:
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/use.../kj_young.html

  2. #332
    activist professor Inferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tipping Velvet
    Last Seen
    07-01-09 @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    Sleep deprivation, emotional intimidation, and water boarding is not starvation, and beheading.
    They are all the same. We tend as people to look at things in degrees.

    Example. Is it worse to have all the bones in your right hand broken or to be shot in the head?

    Is it worse to be blinded than beheaded?

    There is no degree in that. Death or Torture in my eyes is the same. In fact in many cases death may be the preferred course.
    Democracy is the road to socialism. Karl Marx
    Life member NY city Fisting Club!
    I am Zoochie Purple Quivering Ghost Bear a Tiki Bar Tarte, you want some of my Panties.

  3. #333
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-06-09 @ 01:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    They are all the same. We tend as people to look at things in degrees.

    Example. Is it worse to have all the bones in your right hand broken or to be shot in the head?

    Is it worse to be blinded than beheaded?

    There is no degree in that. Death or Torture in my eyes is the same. In fact in many cases death may be the preferred course.
    I don't mean to change the subject, but I think they are related.

    Your acceptance of killing human beings in the womb doesn't seem to match the apparent consistency you are going for.

  4. #334
    You kids get off my lawn!
    Glinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-11-11 @ 12:01 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,716

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    Sleep deprivation, emotional intimidation, and water boarding is not starvation, and beheading.
    Yet used as intended, they are all considered torture. So say nearly all 200 countries of the world, that have willingly become signatory nations to the Geneva Conventions.

    Honestly, is your comment supposed to mean something?

  5. #335
    activist professor Inferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tipping Velvet
    Last Seen
    07-01-09 @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    I don't mean to change the subject, but I think they are related.

    Your acceptance of killing human beings in the womb doesn't seem to match the apparent consistency you are going for.
    I don't believe that a fetus has rights. I don't apparently see the fetus in the same way you might. It is not a person. It attains that status when it is outside the womb. I understand your question and it is just asking how I can view these differently. My abortion opinion is that women have the right to choose. The fetus does not have that right.
    Democracy is the road to socialism. Karl Marx
    Life member NY city Fisting Club!
    I am Zoochie Purple Quivering Ghost Bear a Tiki Bar Tarte, you want some of my Panties.

  6. #336
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-06-09 @ 01:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    Yet used as intended, they are all considered torture. So say nearly all 200 countries of the world, that have willingly become signatory nations to the Geneva Conventions.

    Honestly, is your comment supposed to mean something?
    And do all of those 200 signatories abide by the Geneva Convention for enemy combatants?

    And...Are we at war with a country, or an ideology? And how can "terrorists" unaffiliated with a particular country be covered?

    Is YOUR comment supposed to mean something?

  7. #337
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,368

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    Example. Is it worse to have all the bones in your right hand broken or to be shot in the head?
    This one's a no brainer, pun intended. Shot in the head is worse. I've broken all the bones in my hand before. Not that bad. I haven't been shot in the head before, which is why I'm able to tell you that I've broken all the bones in my hand before.

    Is it worse to be blinded than beheaded?
    Beheaded is way worse. If it wasn't, all the blind people in the world who used to have sight would commit suicide.

  8. #338
    activist professor Inferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tipping Velvet
    Last Seen
    07-01-09 @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    This one's a no brainer, pun intended. Shot in the head is worse. I've broken all the bones in my hand before. Not that bad. I haven't been shot in the head before, which is why I'm able to tell you that I've broken all the bones in my hand before.

    Beheaded is way worse. If it wasn't, all the blind people in the world who used to have sight would commit suicide.
    In your view. If a person is blinded of made deaf or loses there ability to get around. They may prefer to be dead. Euthanasia is a case in point some people would prefer death to being impaired or suffering. It is in fact in the eye of the beholder.
    Democracy is the road to socialism. Karl Marx
    Life member NY city Fisting Club!
    I am Zoochie Purple Quivering Ghost Bear a Tiki Bar Tarte, you want some of my Panties.

  9. #339
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    How exactly is a situation about a muderous thug where your family is in mortal danger not emotional?
    The logical choice and the emotional choice are not always mutually exclusive. However when one approaches an issue from a purely emotionally and partisan standpoint there is a greater chance their choice will not coincide with logic. In my hypothetical the emotional choice is the logical choice and vise versa. The only illogical thing to do in my hypothetical would be to stand idly by, waiting for your family to die as you held your head high like some proud fool.

    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    You don't know me at all. You just called me a liar because you happen to believe that I would torture someone. That is really sick of you to say. I am as insulted as i can be. I have lived on this planet for 57 years and have done no harm. I would not torture nor kill for any reason. There are many causes for which I would be willing to die but there is no issue for which I am willing to kill. Don't judge me nor call me a liar unless you know me!
    Fine, if you are not a liar then you can only be one thing: a base and craven coward. You would sacrifice the lives of innocent people in order to maintain some illusory feeling of morality; this is the logical conclusion of your argument and it is contemptible.


    I'll respond to the other posts after I return.

  10. #340
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-06-09 @ 01:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    I don't believe that a fetus has rights. I don't apparently see the fetus in the same way you might. It is not a person. It attains that status when it is outside the womb. I understand your question and it is just asking how I can view these differently. My abortion opinion is that women have the right to choose. The fetus does not have that right.
    You "don't believe" that a fetus has rights. I don't believe that a terrorist has more rights than a human being in a particular unfortunate geography where their life means nothing according to the law.

Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •