View Poll Results: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Family Member?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    61 80.26%
  • No

    15 19.74%
Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 439

Thread: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

  1. #21
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Under these conditions, are you really in the right state of mind to make this sort of judgment?

    If someone breaks into my home, I defend myself and my family. Not because I thought it through, but because it's instinctual.

    So to answer the question, would I? Probably. Most likely. Is it because of my principles or moral values? No, I don't think they play a part in this situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  2. #22
    King Of The Dog Pound

    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,798

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    No

    Because I would just kill him, period.


    No Lives Matter

  3. #23
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,368

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Personally, I'd torture the **** out of someone simply to get a bowl of chocolate pudding... let alone to save someone's life.


    And I don't even like chocolate pudding.

  4. #24
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Personally, I'd torture the **** out of someone simply to get a bowl of chocolate pudding... let alone to save someone's life.


    And I don't even like chocolate pudding.
    You are one sick bastard. Who in the hell does not like chocolate pudding!
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    You are one sick bastard. Who in the hell does not like chocolate pudding!
    He really is, because now I've got Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall" going through my head.

  6. #26
    Herzschmerz !
    Ahmed Shaheen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    04-29-14 @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,410

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    This hypothetical scenario is an attempt to gauge one's moral position on torture. It is not meant to elicit idiotic references to the television show 24. That a hypothetical is unlikely to occur is irrelevant - they are intended to subject our moral suppositions to scrutiny by forcing us to make a choice. Having said that, please answer the question with a YES or NO answer followed by an explanation.

    If you had to brutally torture a person in order to save the lives of your family, would you do it?

    The hypothetical assumes said person is a murderous thug who is directly responsible for endangering your family.


    Answer: Yes.

    Explanation: Because I hold the lives of my family in a higher regard than murderous thugs.
    That reminds me when a court judge once said in an execution : "Citizens are my family, and I know what decision should I take to save them"
    Last edited by Ahmed Shaheen; 04-22-09 at 11:57 PM.

  7. #27
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    The Scenario doesn't force the issue for me. It assumes that the person I would be torturing was responsible for the danger to my family member(s) . This is not enough. There would have to be some chance that the person knows information that would lead to my family being brought out of danger.

    In those circumstances, where there is no doubt, and everything is black and white, I would torture. But life is NEVER like that. So the example cannot really tell us anything about the morality of torture.

    A real life scenario would be more like this:

    Your family is being held in a secret location, and it is known that they are probably in great danger for their lives. The chances of finding them alive is low. The FBI has in their custody a person they strongly suspect knows your family's location. Having this information might increase the chances for the successful rescue of your family members. An FBI officer tells you that this person certainly has the information you need, and he seems like he wouldn't be saying it lightly, and he offers some convincing facts. They have offered to leave you alone with the individual (who is securely tied down) and various torture devices. You agree, and find yourself alone with the person. You've threatened to torture the person, but it has yielded nothing of value. What do you do now?
    Reducing moral questions down to nice clean questions, and then pretending that somehow those questions tell us something about life is a means to absolve yourself from wrestling with the true moral questions that real life raises.

    Suppose you do severely torture the person, and end up finding out nothing that is of any value. It turns out that the person you tortured was probably just in the wrong place at the wrong time, and really didn't know anything. What should your punishment be, if any?

  8. #28
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    09-26-12 @ 12:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Assume your family is in danger. Torturing a man may or may not help save them. Doing nothing will condemn them.

    What then?
    The assumption is that if I take no action than my family would be harmed.

    Honestly, I think this should be answered based on the situation. My family is always in danger, your family is always in danger. I still don't know how to answer this question.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  9. #29
    Global Moderator
    Sinister
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    133,947

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    I need more information.

    Is it a certainty that the thug knows the information that could save my family? If it is not a certainty, he could be giving me false information just to get me to stop torturing him.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    Mace Windu: Then our worst fears have been realized. We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is to survive.

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Nothing idiotic about them in the other threads. This is a direct thread about said situations but when people imply them or posit them randomly within other discussions it is fine to call them out on such. If you don't like being called on such then don't do it. Don't make cranky, reference to them later though because you're pissed off at being made to look stupid.

    To be honest I consider what you did, attempt to make a controversial point while attempting to be beyond reproach for it a rather cowardly act. If you want to object to being called out on the 24-like scenarios your argument relies on then do so in the threads, don't do it here where you think you can't be responded to.
    I never mentioned any such scenarios, but for some reason you kept bringing them up; hence my attempt to preempt that particular brand of idiocy from rearing its malformed cranium in my poll.

    You see, the timeframe is of little consequence to me. If a known terrorist is in possession of actionable intelligence concerning enemy operations that will take place twenty-four hours from now or twenty-four years in the future we should make every effort to extract that information. Moreover, I wouldn't limit such extraction to information directly concerning terrorist operations; any actionable intelligence that could conceivably disrupt their chain-of-command or money supply would be subject to forcible extraction as well.

    As for this thread, it is not something I can answer off the top of my head. To "brutally" torture is not something within my life's experiences and I have never been in said situation.

    I think I could kill for my family, I could beat some on up for them but to sit down and torture is something else.
    Didn't answer the question. No surprise there. If you don't know what you'd do in such a situation then you don't know anything important about yourself.

    I'd do it. I certainly wouldn't enjoy it, nor would I want to remember it, but I'd do it. My family's safety means more to me than my own life, dignity, or honor; anyone who can't say the same thing is a pitiful coward.

Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •