View Poll Results: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Family Member?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    61 80.26%
  • No

    15 19.74%
Page 17 of 44 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 439

Thread: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

  1. #161
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    "Meant to scare" makes it physical and not psychological?

    Liberal logic is ever a contradiction in terms.
    Your argument sounds like what I would expect from a bunch of 4 year olds.
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  2. #162
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    Your argument sounds like what I would expect from a bunch of 4 year olds.
    What a clever way to avoid answering a very simple question.

    Why not retain some shred of credibility in your discourse and admit that your own words acknowledge that all interrogation techniques are inherently psychological in nature?

    How is something "meant to scare" not psychological?

  3. #163
    Devil Dog cherokee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Last Seen
    09-11-09 @ 09:58 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,486

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    This hypothetical scenario is an attempt to gauge one's moral position on torture. It is not meant to elicit idiotic references to the television show 24. That a hypothetical is unlikely to occur is irrelevant - they are intended to subject our moral suppositions to scrutiny by forcing us to make a choice. Having said that, please answer the question with a YES or NO answer followed by an explanation.

    If you had to brutally torture a person in order to save the lives of your family, would you do it?

    The hypothetical assumes said person is a murderous thug who is directly responsible for endangering your family.


    Answer: Yes.

    Explanation: Because I hold the lives of my family in a higher regard than murderous thugs.
    Even now
    People cant imagine how far I would go to save the lives of my fellow Americans.

  4. #164
    User Groucho Marx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northwest Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    06-03-09 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    69

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    If anyone is ignorant here it is you and in a huge way! Torture is physical. It's meant to scare the **** out of someone, making them think they're going to be killed if they don't talk. So, they talk and they say ANYTHING to stop the torture.
    I'm going to ask you a straight question and I'd appreciate a straight answer: what is the harshest interrogation technique that should be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    I would be happy to demonstrate on you for your education.
    I'm going to assume, for the sake of argument, that this little barb was pure rhetorical fluorish and nothing more.

  5. #165
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    How many of them were true confessions and not just confessing to what the inquisitors wanted to hear so they wouldn't get tortured?

    There were people during this time that admitted to being witches to escape torture and even proclaiming their fake devotion to Jesus. All done to escape torture and none the truth.
    Not relevant, for two reasons:

    1. The Gitmo interrogations were not about producing "confessions" but about extracting information--actionable intelligence that could be used to thwart future terrorist acts. Whether the terrorist renounces Allah or bin Laden in the process is not germane to the task.

    2. Any interrogation result requires verification. The potential for dissembling is neither raised nor lowered because of the techniques used.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    Where does that end? Can we shove a double barrel shotgun in their mouth and hook the trigger up to a lie detector? If they tell the truth there won't be any physical harm right? It's just psychological. How about dropping them out of an airplane at 40,000 feet without a parachute and having someone with a parachute catch them at the last minute. It's just psychological.
    Any interrogator using such techniques should be shot for dereliction of duty. Good technique hinges on the capacity to derive meaningful and extended results, not on a similarity to James Bond movies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    Can the torturers be as creative as possible as long as they simply don't cause any lasting physical harm?
    In the context of Guantanamo, yes. Break the will, not the body.

  6. #166
    Professor
    Shewter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Puget Sound
    Last Seen
    02-21-13 @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,995

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    Does this question presuppose that you know he's a murderous thug, and you know that he knows something worth torturing him over?
    Don't care what their title is.

    If it comes between someone else's life or well being vs. My family's life or well being... my family wins every single time.

    And before anybody asks a dumb question I'll throw this one out there.

    I would torture a retarded, siamese twin baby who is missing 3 fingers on his right hand, 4 on his left, and a foot in order to save my family.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Don't apologize to me over that silly ****. I could care less if I can see the dust or not.
    Now apologize for apologizing!

  7. #167
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho Marx View Post
    I'm going to ask you a straight question and I'd appreciate a straight answer: what is the harshest interrogation technique that should be legal?
    That is a legal question. My opinion, and your opinion, doesn't matter. My position is that what our law says is the limit should be followed by our gov't.

    I'm going to assume, for the sake of argument, that this little barb was pure rhetorical fluorish and nothing more.
    You would only be partially correct. Ever felt the fear that you were going to drown? Water boarding is worse. Much worse.
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  8. #168
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shewter View Post
    I would torture a retarded, siamese twin baby who is missing 3 fingers on his right hand, 4 on his left, and a foot in order to save my family.
    What if that retarded, siamese twin baby didn't know what you wanted to get out of them? What if they gave you misleading info, just to stop the torture, that caused you to go in one direction causing the deaths of your family?
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  9. #169
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    What if that retarded, siamese twin baby didn't know what you wanted to get out of them? What if they gave you misleading info, just to stop the torture, that caused you to go in one direction causing the deaths of your family?
    That's why it's called "choice." You plays the game you takes your chances.

  10. #170
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    That is a legal question. My opinion, and your opinion, doesn't matter. My position is that what our law says is the limit should be followed by our gov't.
    Actually, no, that is not a legal question. It's a political question. What do you believe the law should say, irrespective of what the law may or may not currently say.

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    You would only be partially correct. Ever felt the fear that you were going to drown? Water boarding is worse. Much worse.
    And how many times have you drowned, that you know this to be so?

Page 17 of 44 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •