View Poll Results: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Family Member?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    61 80.26%
  • No

    15 19.74%
Page 14 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 439

Thread: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

  1. #131
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 10:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    How was I wrong? Please point out any left wingers you called out like this.
    I'm not the one who made such idiotic claims. You provided a thread as an example that I hadn't seen yet or even posted in. I also didn't know what other thread that OC's bait was referencing. What kills me is that you are guilty of the very thing that you accuse me of. In that thread I noticed you called out OC for baiting yet you could care less about the baiting in this thread, and we both know that you are aware of it because you have seen this thread and are currently posting in it. But yeah, continue to play obtuse.

    You attacking my honesty and integrity is a joke. You need to have standing to make such asinine, yet typical for you, claims.
    I don't need to attack it. Your hypocrisy speaks for itself.

  2. #132
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 10:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Do you know what the word "ulterior" means? Because if you did you would understand that being "forthcoming" with an ulterior motive makes no sense.

    More importantly, there is nothing inherently wrong (or sleazy) with having an ulterior motive, and unless you can prove otherwise your accusations will be disregarded as baseless and infantile.
    I just think that it's a really lame way of debating. Call it what you want, because I will still call it baiting, which is what it is. What kills me is that you still haven't even revealed what your true motives are in this thread. If you had called it for what it was I would have no problem with it, but you continue to pretend that you are not being underhanded here.

  3. #133
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:08 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,370

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    -- If you had to brutally torture a person in order to save the lives of your family, would you do it?

    --snip--

    Answer: Yes.

    Explanation: Because I hold the lives of my family in a higher regard than murderous thugs.
    Answer: Yes.

    Explanation: the laws in the UK presently allow me to do this - I would have to prove in court that -

    * I acted instinctively;

    * I feared for my safety or that of others, and acted based on my perception of the threat faced and the scale of that threat;

    * I acted to effect a lawful arrest or to prevent the escape of a person lawfully detained; and

    * the level of force used was not excessive or disproportionate in the circumstances as I view them.

    Source UK Police Oracle

    If this was my kids or girlfriend I don't think I could even stop to think. It's not the kind of thing if they were in serious danger that I would stand aside and allow without any action on my part.

  4. #134
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,368

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    I just think that it's a really lame way of debating. Call it what you want, because I will still call it baiting, which is what it is. What kills me is that you still haven't even revealed what your true motives are in this thread. If you had called it for what it was I would have no problem with it, but you continue to pretend that you are not being underhanded here.
    Ahh, but he has admitted to there being an ulterior motive, which in and of itself implies that the existence of said ulterior motive is not "underhanded".

    Perhaps the ulterior motive is to show that the issue of "morality" is not really a proper reason to debate for or against using torture techniques, but instead the focus should be on the veracity of the intel gathered using said techniques.

    Perhaps the ulterior motive is to show that morality is fluid and itself debatable, that there is no clear cut right or wrong in given circumstances.

    Any poll using hypotheticals is going to have an ulterior motive of some sort. It is only underhanded if it the ulterior motive is a "trap".

    If the motivation for the poll is to give supporting evidence of a theory or concept by the poster, it is not necessarily underhanded.

    From what I know of ethereal, my guess would be that he's gathering supporting evidence for a theory of his (of course, I could be way off, but the basic thing is, he isn't underhanded or sneaky).

    I doubt that he is baiting a trap of some sort.

    I myself would use a hypothetical poll to present evidence for a theory of mine if such a situation arose, but it would not be a "trap".

    I would not give away the underlying motivations as they could then be a confounding factor with the evidence that I was trying t gather. People might preemptively try to refute the argument I would eventualy make by voting dishonestly in the poll, or answer the presented hypothetical with the knowledge of the ensuing argument, which be they for or against that argument, could cause a subconscious alteration in the way they answer the poll.

    Just sayin'.

  5. #135
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    I just think that it's a really lame way of debating. Call it what you want, because I will still call it baiting, which is what it is. What kills me is that you still haven't even revealed what your true motives are in this thread. If you had called it for what it was I would have no problem with it, but you continue to pretend that you are not being underhanded here.
    1. Having an ulterior motive is not the same thing as "baiting."

    2. Undermining your opponent's position is part of debate. If having an ulterior motive helps one accomplish this goal it is necessarily a legitimate debate tactic.

    3. Having an ulterior motive is not inherently wrong. There is no reason to expect anyone to be completely transparent on a debate forum, or anywhere else for that matter.

    4. I will articulate my intentions when I feel comfortable with the progression of this thread. You have cast aspersions on my character and questioned the legitimacy of my premise, therefore I will not move forward until this issue has been resolved.

  6. #136
    Another day in paradise..
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    68,004

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    I'm not the one who made such idiotic claims.
    See that's your 1st problem. You sir, indeed are this panda.


    You provided a thread as an example that I hadn't seen yet or even posted in. I also didn't know what other thread that OC's bait was referencing. What kills me is that you are guilty of the very thing that you accuse me of. In that thread I noticed you called out OC for baiting yet you could care less about the baiting in this thread, and we both know that you are aware of it because you have seen this thread and are currently posting in it. But yeah, continue to play obtuse.



    I don't need to attack it. Your hypocrisy speaks for itself.


    I don't believe you to be a moron, so I must assume you are lying when you claim you have no idea that that was a troll thread.


    Your selective outrage is noted.


    as for me? the difference is that is a troll thread. This one is not. Try again,


    Matthew 10:34
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

  7. #137
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 10:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    See that's your 1st problem. You sir, indeed are this panda.
    Dude I declared you the winner of the biggest internet penis in two separate threads. Why do you insist on trying to turn everything into a pissing contest? Are you feeling inadequate in some way and need to do this to somehow validate your masculinity to yourself? If so, I feel bad for you.

    I don't believe you to be a moron, so I must assume you are lying when you claim you have no idea that that was a troll thread.

    Your selective outrage is noted.
    Actually, I said that I hadn't seen that thread previously. I also have no idea what specifically it is referencing. However, in this thread I knew exactly what it was referencing because I had seen that thread. I'm assuming the thread referenced in the thread you mentioned is in the basement somewhere. I don't read every single post on this forum, so I apologize for not being aware of these threads and thus taking away your justification to paint me with such a broad brush.

    as for me? the difference is that is a troll thread. This one is not. Try again,
    I no longer believe that this is a trolling thread. I suppose I just get a bit defensive and paranoid sometimes when I see a thread that clearly has an ulterior motive and the the original poster isn't forthcoming with it when asked and in fact criticizes me of daring to ask about the motive and what it is. In most cases I've seen in the past, someone only does that when they are trying to bait people. I admit that I was incorrect in this case.

  8. #138
    Another day in paradise..
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    68,004

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    Dude I declared you the winner of the biggest internet penis in two separate threads. Why do you insist on trying to turn everything into a pissing contest? Are you feeling inadequate in some way and need to do this to somehow validate your masculinity to yourself? If so, I feel bad for you.


    Yes my penis is quite lovely isn't it. Sorry though, this dick is for chicks.....


    Actually, I said that I hadn't seen that thread previously. I also have no idea what specifically it is referencing. However, in this thread I knew exactly what it was referencing because I had seen that thread. I'm assuming the thread referenced in the thread you mentioned is in the basement somewhere. I don't read every single post on this forum, so I apologize for not being aware of these threads and thus taking away your justification to paint me with such a broad brush.



    I no longer believe that this is a trolling thread. I suppose I just get a bit defensive and paranoid sometimes when I see a thread that clearly has an ulterior motive and the the original poster isn't forthcoming with it when asked and in fact criticizes me of daring to ask about the motive and what it is. In most cases I've seen in the past, someone only does that when they are trying to bait people. I admit that I was incorrect in this case.


    Good. I hope to see you open fire on OC now in that thread. I think there may be an "ulteiror motive".....


    Matthew 10:34
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

  9. #139
    Royal Pain
    Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    06-06-11 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,595

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    I voted no on this poll, in accordance with one of my rules: Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.


    Duke
    The big majority of Americans, who are comparatively well off, have developed an ability to have enclaves of people living in the greatest misery without almost noticing them.
    -- Gunnar Myrdal


    The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer.
    -- Henry Kissinger


    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no
    account be allowed to do the job.
    -- Douglas Adams

  10. #140
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 10:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Yes my penis is quite lovely isn't it. Sorry though, this dick is for chicks.....
    Don't flatter yourself.

Page 14 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •