View Poll Results: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Family Member?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    61 80.26%
  • No

    15 19.74%
Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 439

Thread: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

  1. #121
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    05-17-16 @ 11:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychoclown View Post
    I would torture without ceasing and without mercy till my loved ones were once again safe at my side. I really don't think I would stop short of anything. If the choice is permanently disfiguring or crippling some thug or losing my wife or brothers or parents, then that's not a hard choice for me. I'd get medieval and in a hurry in this situation.

    I just cannot understand the people who say no to this scenario. You'd really let your spouse, child, parent, or whatever die because you didn't want to harm a murdering thug? I can't understand that line of thinking. Just like I can't understand the extremist pacifists who say they wouldn't use lethal force to protect their children from a killer. I try and try to see their point of view, but I just can't. Its beyond me.

    That said, this scenario is so abstract and impossible, I don't really see what insight can be gained by it.
    I wouldn't classify myself as a pacifist at all, i'd kill to protect anyone on this forum or anyone innocent given the right circumstances and there is no other option but torture is another issue altogether for me.
    Last edited by Laila; 04-27-09 at 03:28 PM.


  2. #122
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 10:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    so what?


    i didn't see you in oc's thread where he does the same thing to zimmer.... funny how that always works eh?


    Which thread is that?

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    We both know you do have an ulterior motive, so perhaps you should just be forthcoming with it instead of playing games.

    I would be hesitant to answer the question regardless because I think baiting is a sleazy and underhanded way of proving a point. And yes that is baiting. You can paint it however you want, but it doesn't change a thing.
    There's nothing inherently wrong with having an ulterior motive, nor is the point of having one to expose it; hence it is "ulterior." You act as if nuance or deception were not part and parcel to debate; your obtuse insistence to the contrary is derailment.

    I am not the "baiter" type of poster. I do not do things in order to score quick or cheap points against my opponents. I am interested in establishing an intellectually and morally relevant dialogue while bolstering my position on an issue; that's how debate works.

    I shouldn't be subjected to accusations of utilizing "sleazy" or "underhanded" tactics because I might have an ulterior motive, nor should my poll be referred to as "silly" or "lame" because I do not wish to give you a window into my mind. I would have fully articulated my intentions by now but I no longer feel comfortable doing so because you've taken issue with my integrity and cast a shadow over this thread. I guess the DP will have to wait until this irrelevant tangent is resolved before we can discuss the topic at hand.

  4. #124
    Another day in paradise..
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    68,026

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?



    Matthew 10:34
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

  5. #125
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 10:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    There's nothing inherently wrong with having an ulterior motive, nor is the point of having one to expose it; hence it is "ulterior." You act as if nuance or deception were not part and parcel to debate; your obtuse insistence to the contrary is derailment.

    I am not the "baiter" type of poster. I do not do things in order to score quick or cheap points against my opponents. I am interested in establishing an intellectually and morally relevant dialogue while bolstering my position on an issue; that's how debate works.

    I shouldn't be subjected to accusations of utilizing "sleazy" or "underhanded" tactics because I might have an ulterior motive, nor should my poll be referred to as "silly" or "lame" because I do not wish to give you a window into my mind. I would have fully articulated my intentions by now but I no longer feel comfortable doing so because you've taken issue with my integrity and cast a shadow over this thread. I guess the DP will have to wait until this irrelevant tangent is resolved before we can discuss the topic at hand.
    Say what you want, but the fact that you weren't forthcoming with your ulterior motives when asked speaks volumes.

  6. #126
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 10:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    I haven't even viewed that thread nor have I seen the thread that it is referencing regarding zimmer that you mentioned. Unless you can prove otherwise, I eagerly await your apology for your premature assumptions.

  7. #127
    Another day in paradise..
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    68,026

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    I haven't even viewed that thread nor have I seen the thread that it is referencing regarding zimmer that you mentioned. Unless you can prove otherwise, I eagerly await your apology for your premature assumptions.



    You can suck on any hope of an apology. Your selectivity in who you call out is rather obvious.



    The fact that you selectivly call people out speaks volumes to your character.


    Matthew 10:34
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

  8. #128
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 10:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    You can suck on any hope of an apology. Your selectivity in who you call out is rather obvious.



    The fact that you selectivly call people out speaks volumes to your character.
    Don't worry, I wouldn't expect a person like you to even admit that you are wrong. That would require honesty and integrity.

  9. #129
    Another day in paradise..
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    68,026

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    Don't worry, I wouldn't expect a person like you to even admit that you are wrong. That would require honesty and integrity.


    How was I wrong? Please point out any left wingers you called out like this.


    You attacking my honesty and integrity is a joke. You need to have standing to make such asinine, yet typical for you, claims.


    Matthew 10:34
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Would You Utilize Torture to Save a Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    Say what you want, but the fact that you weren't forthcoming with your ulterior motives when asked speaks volumes.
    Do you know what the word "ulterior" means? Because if you did you would understand that being "forthcoming" with an ulterior motive makes no sense.

    More importantly, there is nothing inherently wrong (or sleazy) with having an ulterior motive, and unless you can prove otherwise your accusations will be disregarded as baseless and infantile.

Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •