View Poll Results: Did we evolve from Apes?

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, we evolved from Apes.

    71 53.38%
  • No, we have not evolved in any shape or form, we are the same biological beings we have always been.

    26 19.55%
  • Yes, we did evolve, but i do not think we evolved from Apes.

    36 27.07%
Page 8 of 52 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 517

Thread: Evolution: Did we really evolve from Apes?

  1. #71
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,027

    Re: Evolution: Did we really evolve from Apes?

    No we didn't evolve from apes.... They where just the base that aliens used to fuse DNA into... DUH!! Eeeerbody know dat. Gawd damnnn boy. At least that's what mah grandma told meh.

    We need to make genetically altered monkies with a faster life cycle and put them through different upbringings to see evolution. Feed them cooked food only and see if their physiology changes.
    Last edited by dirtpoorchris; 04-19-09 at 08:14 PM.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  2. #72
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,893

    Re: Evolution: Did we really evolve from Apes?

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    What are you talking about with the bolded above? Where can I go to see the specific and accurate tree drawing? The dang thing has been redrawn every which till Sunday and I imagine will change so many more times that they ought to not keep putting crude images of any sort of tree of life in textbooks.

    I believe that evolution occurs. I'm not sure I believe all life on this planet stems from a single common ancestor. That sounds like rot, the evidence for it is most certainly not undeniable, and I'd be as apt at this point to believe in Adam and Eve as believing ALL LIFE on Earth stemmed from a single ancestor.

    As far as I'm concerned if someone denies evolution they're a tard. If someone denies this notion that all life stems from a single source - that's not so tardy.
    All life on earth shares a large percentage of it's DNA with every other lifeform on earth. For example, 50% of your DNA is the same as the DNA in bananas, and you share 93% of your DNA with fruit flies. The fact that everything shares so much common DNA would seem to indicate that all forms of life(that we have discovered) seem to have evolved from a single common source.

    This theory like any other is subject to further evidence, if it turns out that life did not originate here and panspermia is true for example, the precursors to DNA based organisms that seeded this planet could have come from different places and @ different times (on different comets for example.)

    The genetic evidence suggest one evolutionary tree, but there could have been others. Life could have started once before and was utterly wiped out only to start again during those early hellish years of our planet.

    However, when you compare every living being to another, the evidence is "overwhelming."

    Look outside, see a squirrel, at some point in both of your ancestry's, your share a common ancestral species. We're all related to an extent...
    Last edited by Spartacus FPV; 04-19-09 at 08:25 PM.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  3. #73
    Educator Grateful Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    12-27-09 @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Evolution: Did we really evolve from Apes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    Its also a "theory" that we revolve around the sun, theory doesn't mean guess in science.
    I understand you and I are on the same page here, but I wanted to clarify this bit from a much earlier post.

    It's not a "theory" that we revolve around the sun. It's an "observed phenomenon" that the earth orbits the sun. The phenomenon is so well-documented and understood that it is, for all intents and purposes, a "fact." The theory of gravity in conjunction with other theories, such as the relativity, are useful in understanding why the earth orbits the sun in the way it does.

    Similarly, we have more than sufficient evidence in the fossil record as well as the biological sciences to say that evolution is an "observed phenomenon"... that is, a "fact." The theory of natural selection, along with other theories, simply help us understand how it happens.

    Evolution is a "fact."

    Even Intelligent Design proponents accept that evolution is a "fact." That's the big leap they made from creationism. But many creationists who now back ID don't seem to grasp that important difference.

    Last edited by Grateful Heart; 04-19-09 at 08:32 PM.

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Evolution: Did we really evolve from Apes?

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    So you're saying I have to believe in an unknown common ancestor between chimps and humans or throw every ounce of evolution theory out the window.

    Somehow I doubt that.
    You have every freedom to be as wrong as you like. If you want to understand the theory of evolution, you have to accept that the fact of a common ancestor is ineluctable.

    Further back in time, we share ancestry with tiktaalik rosea.



  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Evolution: Did we really evolve from Apes?

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    Look I just get annoyed when scientific theory is peddled as fact. To say, "it's passed all the tests..." is just so dang ignorant. It hasn't "passed all the tests." We don't even know what the common ancestor was. We just found out in the past few years that whatever the hell it was it probably lived on the ground and not in the dang trees. Evolution in no way speaks to origin. The fossil record is incomplete,etc. It's passed all the tests, gimme a break.

    It's sound. It's more sound and scientific than creationists or my alien theories. However it is not fact. It has yet to be disproven and we'd all do well to take that FWIW. But it is by no means the end all be all of biology and it most certainly is not above criticism.
    The "Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection" is the theory that explains the observed fact that natural selection coupled with the inherent variance present in all species produces new species and it also explains the observed facts in the fossil record.

    That's just the way it is.

    It's call a fact because it's a fact. I know it upsets the little apple carts of many who want to cling to some other idea, but it's still a fact, and those other ideas are still wrong.

    If it wasn't an observed process, I might hesitate to call it a fact. But it's observed, and it's a fact.

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Evolution: Did we really evolve from Apes?

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    They've already pretty much tossed Darwin's simple Tree of Life. I'm sure there's tons more ways in which the theory of evolution will be tweaked before all is said and done.

    Again the problem is discussing evolution and the theory of evolution as the same thing.
    Don't know where you're coming from. The "tree of life" has sorta morphed into a "bush of life", since trees are defined as plants with woody stems three inches or more in diameter four feet above groung, but that's not significant.

    Tree of Life

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: Evolution: Did we really evolve from Apes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    The "Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection" is the theory that explains the observed fact that natural selection coupled with the inherent variance present in all species produces new species and it also explains the observed facts in the fossil record.

    That's just the way it is.

    It's call a fact because it's a fact. I know it upsets the little apple carts of many who want to cling to some other idea, but it's still a fact, and those other ideas are still wrong.

    If it wasn't an observed process, I might hesitate to call it a fact. But it's observed, and it's a fact.
    Um no. Evolution is an observable fact. The premise that all species originate from a single ancestor - the theory of evolution is theory. I don't "cling" to any ideas; including the theory of evolution. Observing evolution, finding evidence to support the observations in genetics and fossils still leaves you many miles short of proving all living organisms stem from a single original organism.

  8. #78
    Educator Grateful Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    12-27-09 @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Read the article, a theory is not a guess

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    You need to get the notion that guess, interpretation, expectation, etc are bad words when it comes to scientific theory.

    When you interpret data and then CONSTRUCT a theory based on the facts and observations you are absolutely making an educated guess and asserting an expectation to be put forth as an explanation.
    In one sentence you say that 'guess' is a bad word when it comes to theory. In the very next you use the word 'guess' to describe the process of constructing theory. I hope you can see the very obvious contradiction there. There's a reason scientists don't normally use the word 'guess' in the description of their work. 'Guess' is a rather casual word that we often use interchangeably with words like 'hunch,' or 'notion,' or 'feeling.'

    I think scientists would normally ditch 'educated guess' for 'hypothesis,' which is more neatly defined.


    A theory is a well-established principle that has been developed to explain some aspect of the natural word. A theory arises from repeated observation and testing and incorporates facts, laws, predictions, and tested hypotheses that are widely accepted.

    A hypothesis is a specific, testable prediction about what you expect to happen in your study. For example, a study designed to look at the relationship between study habits and test anxiety might have a hypothesis that states, “This study is designed to assess the hypothesis that students with better study habits will suffer less test anxiety.” Unless your study is exploratory in nature, your hypothesis should always explain what you expect to happen during the course of your experiment or research.

    While the terms are sometimes used interchangeably in general practice, the difference between a theory and a hypothesis is important when studying experimental design. Some important distinctions to note include:

    * A theory predicts events in general terms, while a hypothesis makes a specific prediction about a specified set of circumstances.

    * A theory is has been extensively tested and is generally accepted, while a hypothesis is a speculative guess that has yet to be tested.
    Last edited by Grateful Heart; 04-19-09 at 11:39 PM.

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: Evolution: Did we really evolve from Apes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Don't know where you're coming from. The "tree of life" has sorta morphed into a "bush of life", since trees are defined as plants with woody stems three inches or more in diameter four feet above groung, but that's not significant.

    Tree of Life
    Looks very scientific. Personally I think they should give up the whole tree of life nonsense, which many have, and just quit trying for juvenile images to explain a complex and multifaceted process.

  10. #80
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Last Seen
    01-13-10 @ 08:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    146

    Re: Evolution: Did we really evolve from Apes?

    I don't understand why most religious folk refuse to believe that God might've created Apes, that eventually evolved into us.

    That's my view.

Page 8 of 52 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •