View Poll Results: Did we evolve from Apes?

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, we evolved from Apes.

    71 53.38%
  • No, we have not evolved in any shape or form, we are the same biological beings we have always been.

    26 19.55%
  • Yes, we did evolve, but i do not think we evolved from Apes.

    36 27.07%
Page 30 of 52 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 517

Thread: Evolution: Did we really evolve from Apes?

  1. #291
    Advisor Sanitas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The world.
    Last Seen
    03-05-12 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    459

    Re: Evolution: Did we really evolve from Apes?

    I do not have a religion, but I am definitely not an Atheist.

    I was brought up a Catholic (baptized and the like), then attended a Born-Again Christian school and church for four years before coming to public school. I lost my religion in sometime middle school I suppose. Anyway, I used to regard myself as to being Agnostic. Since recanting that label I haven't "found" a religion per se. Though I may be unaffiliated with a religion, I am still very spiritual. I believe in karma and the idea of reincarnation. I am interested in all religions and want to study them in college (namely Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, and Taoism).

    I firmly believe in the idea of evolution.

  2. #292
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-29-10 @ 12:03 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,379

    Re: Evolution: Did we really evolve from Apes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    You mean personally observed by scientists? Not that I am aware of. The theory of evolution has only been around for a little over a century. It takes a lot longer than that to see major changes in species (although we have observed lots of minor changes).
    I guess I lost all my bets.


    So, you want me to believe that occurrences nobody has ever been witness of and nobody has made a record of are happening and you want me to to believe just to your promise that in some time ( I will get back to TIME - I should go) we will see them; but you wouldn't believe in resurrection of Christ witnessed and recorded, and you wouldn’t believe the promise of him coming back in some time? And then you go around and insult my beliefs and want to force me and my children to believe in yours as the only right ones?

    How about some minimal fairness?

  3. #293
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Evolution: Did we really evolve from Apes?

    Quote Originally Posted by justone View Post
    So, you want me to believe that occurrences nobody has ever been witness of and nobody has made a record of are happening and you want me to to believe just to your promise that in some time ( I will get back to TIME - I should go) we will see them;
    Like I said, there is overwhelming evidence in the fossil record. That evidence is no less observable than reproducing the experiment in a laboratory.

    Quote Originally Posted by justone
    but you wouldn't believe in resurrection of Christ witnessed and recorded, and you wouldn’t believe the promise of him coming back in some time?
    Umm...what?

    Quote Originally Posted by justone
    And then you go around and insult my beliefs and want to force me and my children to believe in yours as the only right ones?
    Umm...what?
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #294
    Royal Pain
    Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    06-06-11 @ 12:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,595

    Re: Evolution: Did we really evolve from Apes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Or bottlenose dolphins and false killer whales which can interbreed and produce fertile offspring, although they are different dolphin species. Wholphin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    The definition of "species" needs some amending.
    I agree. I was just throwing out a common definition.


    Quote Originally Posted by justone View Post
    Those who put on #1 can receive their money.


    There is nothing there to disprove.


    One does not disprove delusional ideas.
    You have totally lost touch with anything that might be referred, even in a sideways way, to "reality". You have yet to launch an even remotely compelling argument against evolution, nor support a counter-idea. But regardless, my curiousity is piqued; if you do not believe in evolution, how do you think everything that is got to be the way it is? I gotta hear this.


    Duke
    The big majority of Americans, who are comparatively well off, have developed an ability to have enclaves of people living in the greatest misery without almost noticing them.
    -- Gunnar Myrdal


    The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer.
    -- Henry Kissinger


    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no
    account be allowed to do the job.
    -- Douglas Adams

  5. #295
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Evolution: Did we really evolve from Apes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sanitas View Post
    I do not have a religion, but I am definitely not an Atheist.
    Its called being Agnostic. You associate to no religion but believe in a God, or something along those regions, a different type of higher being pulling the "strings".
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  6. #296
    Professor
    WillRockwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    07-10-10 @ 09:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,950

    Re: Evolution: Did we really evolve from Apes?

    What's your problem with apes? I would be proud to be descended from a gorilla or orangutan

  7. #297
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-29-10 @ 12:03 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,379

    Re: Evolution: Did we really evolve from Apes?

    Quote Originally Posted by WillRockwell View Post
    What's your problem with apes? I would be proud to be descended from a gorilla or orangutan
    Sorry, that you have nothing to be proud of. It is clear that evolution went on a side track in your case. I see most people keep this fact in mind talking to you. Do you, at least eat bananas?

  8. #298
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-29-10 @ 12:03 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,379

    Re: Evolution: Did we really evolve from Apes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I agree. I was just throwing out a common definition.




    You have totally lost touch with anything that might be referred, even in a sideways way, to "reality". You have yet to launch an even remotely compelling argument against evolution, nor support a counter-idea. But regardless, my curiousity is piqued; if you do not believe in evolution, how do you think everything that is got to be the way it is? I gotta hear this.


    Duke
    Anybody who bet on #5. got it all. I know Tucker did.

    I have been making my considerations from the POV of science. From the scientific point of view you ask me to step away from the firm path of science into the swamp of hypotheses aka speculations aka guesses. No. I am not ‘’the overwhelming majority of scientists’’ a.k.a. charlatans, I follow rules of science. Following the rules I feign no hypotheses, for whatever is not deduced from the phenomena must be called a hypothesis; and hypotheses, whether metaphysical or physical, or based on occult qualities, or mechanical, have no place in experimental philosophy. In this philosophy particular propositions are inferred from the phenomena, and afterwards rendered general by induction.


    Until I observe occurrences which make/made ''that to be the way it is,'' I have nothing to make propositions (mathematical/logical equations) about, I have nothing to talk about. I cannot talk about events which have never been observed within the frame of a scientific consideration. If you wish to step away from science, and exercise just logic, let me know and demonstrate that you’re capable of making a statement not loaded with logical fallacies.

    So far you have only been proving here that you cannot understand a simple question, cannot answer a simple question and, at least but the last, due this fact cannot make a sentence void of logical fallacies.

  9. #299
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-29-10 @ 12:03 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,379

    Re: Evolution: Did we really evolve from Apes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Like I said, there is overwhelming evidence in the fossil record. That evidence is no less observable than reproducing the experiment in a laboratory.



    Umm...what?



    Umm...what?
    One more time. I am trying to make it very simple for scientists. I don’t know how to make it more simple.

    You look at empirical evidence. You say that the empirical evidence makes you to conclude logically that evolution occurred, occurs and will occur. Fine. I ask, - do you have one justone record of the occurrence of evolution? You say, - no.
    I look at empirical evidence. The empirical evidence makes me logically conclude that G-d exist, etc. I have records of his coming and resurrection.

    How can your conclusions possibly be more true than mine?

  10. #300
    Professor
    WillRockwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    07-10-10 @ 09:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,950

    Re: Evolution: Did we really evolve from Apes?

    Quote Originally Posted by justone View Post
    Sorry, that you have nothing to be proud of. It is clear that evolution went on a side track in your case. I see most people keep this fact in mind talking to you. Do you, at least eat bananas?
    It has been a hallmark of the ignorant for over 100 years to denigrate the concept of natural selecition by making fun of primates. I see some things never change.

Page 30 of 52 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •