View Poll Results: Which of these things do you think are true?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • The only way to properly use a gun is to kill something with it.

    2 8.00%
  • The only way to use a gun to defend yourself is to kill someone.

    2 8.00%
  • An 'assault weapon' is not capable of firing single shots

    1 4.00%
  • 'Assault weapon' and assault rifle are interchangeable terms

    0 0%
  • 'Assault weapons' are far more powerful than 'standard' weapons.

    5 20.00%
  • 'Assault weapons' are necessarily inaccurate and only suitable for 'spray fire'

    0 0%
  • Penetrating body armor is a Herculean task for a 'standard' firearm

    1 4.00%
  • A cop is better trained, competent, has better judgment and is more stable than an ordinary citizen

    13 52.00%
  • All of the above

    1 4.00%
  • None of the above

    12 48.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 48

Thread: Question for the anti-gun crowd: Which of these things are true?

  1. #21
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 03:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Question for the anti-gun crowd: Which of these things are true?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Yes, but only because an M4 uses a rifle round while a glock is a handgun and uses lighter ammunition, an M4 will not do nearly as much damage as a standard deer rifle though.
    Ok.


  2. #22
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,473

    Re: Question for the anti-gun crowd: Which of these things are true?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    Ok.
    you asked.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  3. #23
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
    stevenb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, Az
    Last Seen
    11-28-09 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,560

    Re: Question for the anti-gun crowd: Which of these things are true?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    Ok.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgr3kTU68uw"]YouTube - The Truth About AK-47 Firepower[/ame]

    Check this video out.
    George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to win the war with Britain... He shot them.

  4. #24
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    40,446

    Re: Question for the anti-gun crowd: Which of these things are true?

    It happens every once in a while, that a LEO with a bad shoot actually faces criminal charges. The charges usually get dropped or downgraded... convictions are very rare even in cases that are pretty heinous. Every once in a while a cop goes to prison, but it is rare.

    Frankly you're a lot better off wearing a badge when you pull the trigger. At the very least, LEO's get the benefit of the doubt in questionable cases...citizens almost never get that.


    G.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  5. #25
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    40,446

    Re: Question for the anti-gun crowd: Which of these things are true?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    I voted for #5 and #8.

    I'm not necessarily anti-gun, and I'm not entirely sure about voting for #5. I think it depends on what is considered a 'standard weapon.' For example, an M4 can do far more damage than a Glock right?

    For #8, that's common sense, officers and specially trained for their jobs.

    Cilogy... (patience, Goshin ) ... you don't know much about guns or cops, clearly.

    The vast majority of the time when an armed citizen defends themself with a gun, they just point it and the perp runs away. No one usually dies. Yes, there are studies and stats, google "Kleck study".

    "Assault" weapons are NOT more powerful than "standard" weapons... a AR15/M4/M16 in .223 is weak compared to a 30-06 deer rifle.

    Cops are not superhuman... gaw, not even close. A cop is just an armed citizen, with a badge, some training and maybe some experience, but they screw up more often than citizens with carry permits. I went thru cop training and honestly I wasn't impressed.

    Okay, you are now relatively edumacated. Go forth, and let your light shine amongst the darkness of ignorance.
    Last edited by Goshin; 04-17-09 at 08:35 PM.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  6. #26
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Question for the anti-gun crowd: Which of these things are true?

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenb View Post
    A specific case comes to mind where a police officer tried shooting a python in a tree... missed, and hit someone's kid in the head down the block.

    Not so much as even a formal investigation brought against him to start with... it wasn't until people started rallying and complaining that they did anything to him.. and last I heard there was no official punishment.
    When I said that anecdotal evidence was worse than no evidence, I was serious. The only thing worse than that is anecdotal evidence of a story that might have maybe happened one time.

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Had to laugh when I saw this option. A trained competent stable policeman is a contradiction in terms.

    Badge + gun == dangerous person not to be trusted.
    This certainly sounds reasonable and measured.

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Why would you imply anything but?
    Because it's factually inaccurate?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  7. #27
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    40,446

    Re: Question for the anti-gun crowd: Which of these things are true?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Had to laugh when I saw this option. A trained competent stable policeman is a contradiction in terms.

    Badge + gun == dangerous person not to be trusted.
    That's a little harsh. There are lots of LEO's out there who truly believe in "to protect and serve" and do their best to live it.

    OTOH, that is how most people view cops most of the time. Everybody knows it, cops know it too. I remember stopping at Hardees for a biscuit on the way home and seeing everyone looking at me out the corner of their eye.
    "What's that cop doing in here?"
    (well, he's hungry, and his wife's a terrible cook so he's getting himself a gravy biscuit.)
    "Is he going to realize that I have ten unpaid parking tickets and arrest me?"
    (He doesn't give a crap, he just got off a double shift and he is tired. He might do something if a mass murderer starts shooting folks, but he's going to ignore anything short of that 'cuz he's on his way home. )


    But you know what? There's so many BS unreasonable laws these days, too many for anyone to keep track of, that it is not unreasonable for citizens to view the enforcers of those myriad non-sensical laws with suspicion. Heck, I do it now too. When I see a cop I wonder if he's going to bother me, since I know it is his business to stick his nose into things that might be illegal. Even if as far as I know I'm not doing anything unlawful, when even judges and lawyers have to have law libraries to figure out anything more complex than a parking ticket, what chance does Joe Citizen have of knowing how to stay on the "right" side of all those volumes of law?

    [ame=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4097602514885833865]"Don't Talk to the Police" by Professor James Duane[/ame]


    G.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  8. #28
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
    stevenb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, Az
    Last Seen
    11-28-09 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,560

    Re: Question for the anti-gun crowd: Which of these things are true?

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    When I said that anecdotal evidence was worse than no evidence, I was serious. The only thing worse than that is anecdotal evidence of a story that might have maybe happened one time.



    This certainly sounds reasonable and measured.



    Because it's factually inaccurate?
    The story happened, otherwise I wouldn't have said ****.


    FOXNews.com - Oklahoma Police Kill 5-Year Old Boy While Shooting at Snake - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

    If you ****ing googled and applied yourself you'd have turned it up on your first search.


    IN regards to the actual story... Had I fired that shot, and killed someone's child.. I'd be ****ing sitting in jail right now... same with any other normal citizen who wasn't wearing a badge.

    Does that mean I hate cops? Absolutely not, does that mean I think they get unfair advantages in situations they **** up? Yes.
    George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to win the war with Britain... He shot them.

  9. #29
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Question for the anti-gun crowd: Which of these things are true?

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenb View Post
    The story happened, otherwise I wouldn't have said ****.

    FOXNews.com - Oklahoma Police Kill 5-Year Old Boy While Shooting at Snake - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

    If you ****ing googled and applied yourself you'd have turned it up on your first search.
    It's my job to research your anecdotes? Who knew.

    IN regards to the actual story... Had I fired that shot, and killed someone's child.. I'd be ****ing sitting in jail right now... same with any other normal citizen who wasn't wearing a badge.
    Funny story about that - if you had actually bothered to do a bit more research on your story, you might have seen this:

    http://www.tulsaworld.com/TWPDFs/200...32908_A_20.pdf

    A Cleveland County judge found two former Noble police officers guilty of second-degree manslaughter on Friday in the accidental shooting death of a 5- year-old boy, but he declined to rule immediately on a plea deal for the men. District Judge Tom Lucas said he will render a decision Monday morning on whether to accept the agreement between prosecutors and Robert Shawn Richardson, 30, and Paul Bradley Rogers, 34.

    ...

    Under the plea agreement, Richardson and Rogers each would receive a two-year deferred prison sentence, meaning they likely would not have to spend any actual time behind bars. They also would pay a $500 fine and a $500 victims compensation assessment and surrender their police certification. Cleveland County First Assistant District Attorney David
    Brockman said the proposed sentence is comparable to what prosecutors would offer in a negligent homicide case involving a vehicular accident. If its an appropriate resolution for Joe Smith on the street, he said, its an appropriate resolution for these officers."


    ...

    Family members said they believe that Rogers and Richardson are receiving special treatment because they were police officers. Brockman denied
    that, telling the judge that charges were, in fact, filed in the case because the men were police officers.
    You can disagree with the sentence all you want, but fact remains that even in your own example, the cops were charged criminally, pled to a crime, and were sentenced in line with what happens to average citizens. That kind of ruins your argument.

    Does that mean I hate cops? Absolutely not, does that mean I think they get unfair advantages in situations they **** up? Yes.
    So you're saying the Cleveland DA is a liar?
    Last edited by RightinNYC; 04-17-09 at 10:52 PM.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  10. #30
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 03:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Question for the anti-gun crowd: Which of these things are true?

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenb View Post
    Ok, its a nice video.


Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •