View Poll Results: Are you attending a tea party protest?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'll be protesting

    9 31.03%
  • Yes, but not to protest (explain in post, please)

    1 3.45%
  • No, not attending

    19 65.52%
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 111

Thread: Attending a tax day tea party protest?

  1. #71
    Mod Apologist

    missypea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,152

    Re: Attending a tax day tea party protest?

    Quote Originally Posted by sazerac View Post
    People are mad about the government over spending.

    They are mad about the overspending under Bush and under Obama.

    They don't want their children stuck with so much debt.

    The anti protest nastiness is purely political. There is no logical reason to be in favor of excess government spending that our children will have to pay for.

    There is no way around it that everybody's taxes will have to go up eventually to pay for all this. Not just the rich.

    Another big point was that people who paid their mortgage every month have to pay for people who bought a house they couldn't afford.

    People are mad about the overspending. Parents don't want their children stuck with so much debt. The thing is that democrats have been on board with this for a long time now. The republicans waited until there was a democrat in office before deciding to come together and raise their voice.

    Generally, I was glad to see people come together to protest. I like to see people get involved.

    Personally, I felt it was disingenuous because the right waited until there was a democrat in office to do it, because their was no focus and because the main theme was to hate on Obama rather than to protest something specifically.


    I would chat with her when I'm feeling particularly snarky, but I wouldn't ever call her on the phone.

  2. #72
    Global Moderator
    Engagement!
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,929

    Re: Attending a tax day tea party protest?

    Quote Originally Posted by missypea View Post
    People are mad about the overspending. Parents don't want their children stuck with so much debt. The thing is that democrats have been on board with this for a long time now. The republicans waited until there was a democrat in office before deciding to come together and raise their voice.

    Generally, I was glad to see people come together to protest. I like to see people get involved.

    Personally, I felt it was disingenuous because the right waited until there was a democrat in office to do it, because their was no focus and because the main theme was to hate on Obama rather than to protest something specifically.
    Well now you're being disingenuous as well.

    Its not like these protests were cosponsered with Democrats. The left has been largely FAR less vocal concerning the spending under Obama than Bush.

    Further, the spending from the TARP out under Obama, if my understanding is correct, is more in and of itself than all the spending on the Iraq War since the beginning of it.

    Further, the Iraq War and aftermath will finish in time, likely within a couple years, where as many of the programs Barack Obama is trying to impliment will be suckling at the teet of the American Public for decades upon decades upon decades.

    Further, whether YOU disagree with it or not, there is a LEGITIMATE reason that some may view spending on a military matter...something SPECIFICALLY delegated as something the Federal Government was created to do....is differnet than spending money on bailing out Banks and Auto-makers and instituting a number of new social policies.

    This is not a 1:1 scenario.
    You down with TPP?

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 05:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: Attending a tax day tea party protest?

    Quote Originally Posted by missypea View Post

    Personally, I felt it was disingenuous because the right waited until there was a democrat in office to do it, because their was no focus and because the main theme was to hate on Obama rather than to protest something specifically.
    We didn't know until September 2008 how bad things were.

    The first tax rallies started in February. The main theme is taxes and debt, not hating Obama. I think everybody is smart enough to know that everybody is to blame and not just Obama.

  4. #74
    Advisor don'ttreadonme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    TX
    Last Seen
    08-17-11 @ 11:30 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    340

    Re: Attending a tax day tea party protest?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrein View Post
    Does that sign seriously say "terrorest"?
    And "ammenment" and "socilism." lol

  5. #75
    Mod Apologist

    missypea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,152

    Re: Attending a tax day tea party protest?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Well now you're being disingenuous as well.
    I disagree

    Its not like these protests were cosponsered with Democrats. The left has been largely FAR less vocal concerning the spending under Obama than Bush.
    The protests weren't something that the Dems could get behind that's why they weren't co-sponsored, Zyphlin. The left does things differently than the right. I'm not sure why you would think that the Dems could get behind the policies of the last eight years. The Dems are against them.

    Further, the spending from the TARP out under Obama, if my understanding is correct, is more in and of itself than all the spending on the Iraq War since the beginning of it.
    I don't know what the numbers are and frankly at this point it's just numbers. We're in a hole. A deep hole. As much as it makes me shudder, part of me thinks that Obama may not have used enough money to get the momentum that the economy needs.

    Further, the Iraq War and aftermath will finish in time, likely within a couple years, where as many of the programs Barack Obama is trying to impliment will be suckling at the teet of the American Public for decades upon decades upon decades.
    The Left sees solutions and successes for the coming decades. We know what didn't work. It's time to try something else.


    Further, whether YOU disagree with it or not, there is a LEGITIMATE reason that some may view spending on a military matter...something SPECIFICALLY delegated as something the Federal Government was created to do....is differnet than spending money on bailing out Banks and Auto-makers and instituting a number of new social policies.

    This is not a 1:1 scenario.
    Zyphlin, you're such a bore when you speak this way. I didn't know that I was going to end up at the last paragraph reading your condenscending tripe otherwise I probably wouldn't have responded.

    I do view it differently than you. I do disagree with you. I guess you're gonna have to live with that.


    I would chat with her when I'm feeling particularly snarky, but I wouldn't ever call her on the phone.

  6. #76
    Global Moderator
    Engagement!
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,929

    Re: Attending a tax day tea party protest?

    I know, it is a bore when someone points out when you're being inanely hypocritical on an issue. Let me see your reasoning here it seems...

    "Well, the Left was correct, and so its okay for us to protest, and its okay for us not to protest now, and its okay for us to insult your protest now, because the Left is correct and the Right is wrong".

    Wow, amazing logic there. Yes, however could I not have just nodded and obviously agreed with you. Its obvious now, yep. Its completley just hypocritical republicans and angelic democrats, we need to just all open our eyes to the most wonderous and perfect views and solutions of the Great Barack Obama.

    You down with TPP?

  7. #77
    Another day in paradise..
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 02:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    67,947

    Re: Attending a tax day tea party protest?

    Quote Originally Posted by P/N View Post
    Some pictures from the Mobile, AL Tea Party:

    Debate Politics Forums - P/N's Album: Mobile, AL Tea Party

    My favorite




    I think protests right or left, attract the morons.....


    Matthew 10:34
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

  8. #78
    Mod Apologist

    missypea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,152

    Re: Attending a tax day tea party protest?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I know, it is a bore when someone points out when you're being inanely hypocritical on an issue. Let me see your reasoning here it seems...

    "Well, the Left was correct, and so its okay for us to protest, and its okay for us not to protest now, and its okay for us to insult your protest now, because the Left is correct and the Right is wrong".


    Wow, amazing logic there. Yes, however could I not have just nodded and obviously agreed with you. Its obvious now, yep. Its completley just hypocritical republicans and angelic democrats, we need to just all open our eyes to the most wonderous and perfect views and solutions of the Great Barack Obama.





    Huh??

    Tell me how I'm being hypocritical, Zyphlin.

    I think you just want to banter.


    I like that the right is protesting. Get it together, figure out how to join voices. March for what you believe in. I think it's great....really, I do. I believe that coming together is what creates change. I'm not against protesting.

    If you expect me, a progressive, to get in your line with what the protest was about, well that ain't gonna happen.

    I don't agree with what the protest was about.....what was it about, again....taxes, socialism, abortion????

    I think the timing of it was disingenuous.
    I think calling something a grassroots effort that was funded by lobbyists and think tanks is disingenuous.


    I also think the whole thing was really funny.


    Go Team!



    I know the Right doesn't have much know-how when it comes to protests. Maybe after a few years of protest practice you guys will get really good at it and piss me off

    .
    Last edited by missypea; 04-17-09 at 09:05 PM.


    I would chat with her when I'm feeling particularly snarky, but I wouldn't ever call her on the phone.

  9. #79
    Global Moderator
    Silent Bob for President!
    RedAkston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,109
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Attending a tax day tea party protest?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    I think protests right or left, attract the morons.....
    I agree, but I talked to this lady and she wasn't a moron. She didn't realize that she had spelled it wrong on the sign and was embarrassed. She knew more of what is going on than I anticipated after having witnessed the sign. I also loved her t-shirt.
    Welfare (Food Stamps, WIC, etc...) are not entitlements. They are taxpayer funded handouts and shouldn't be called entitlements at all. Social Security and Veteran's benefits are 'Entitlements' because the people receiving them are entitled to them. They were earned and paid for by the recipients.

  10. #80
    User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    09-25-09 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24

    Re: Attending a tax day tea party protest?

    Some people find it richly humorous if a protester carries a sign with a misspelled word, as if that discredits everything that citizen believes in.

    I disagree. I would rather see homemade posters which people individually thought up - than a boring sea of red or blue commercial signs.

    I know very smart people who misspell words, and it doesn't mean a whole lot to me.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •