View Poll Results: What do you think about putting stricter regulations on bullets rather than guns?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am pro-gun rights, and I would SUPPORT this.

    3 7.14%
  • I am pro-gun rights, and I would be AGAINST this.

    34 80.95%
  • I am anti-gun rights, and I would SUPPORT this.

    4 9.52%
  • I am anti-gun rights, and I would be AGAINST this.

    0 0%
  • Other

    1 2.38%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 71

Thread: Bullet Control

  1. #11
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,422
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Bullet Control

    What a sneaky assed, underhanded, bull**** way to try and render the second amendment powerless.
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

  2. #12
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 03:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Bullet Control

    Ok, now that many people have thrown some stones at me, let me pick them up and set them aside.

    I think we are slowly reaching the tipping point in gun violence. Something has to be done. Am I the one to decide? No. I don't want to be.

    I don't think we should ban bullets or or guns, but I think increasing the prices on bullets rather than guns would work better. Now, I am not offering this suggestion as a way to "sneakily bypass the 2nd amendment," but more as a way to stop gun violence from going out of control.

    That's just what I think. I have a right to an opinion too.


  3. #13
    Global Moderator
    Engagement!
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,933

    Re: Bullet Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    Ok, now that many people have thrown some stones at me, let me pick them up and set them aside.

    I think we are slowly reaching the tipping point in gun violence. Something has to be done. Am I the one to decide? No. I don't want to be.

    I don't think we should ban bullets or or guns, but I think increasing the prices on bullets rather than guns would work better. Now, I am not offering this suggestion as a way to "sneakily bypass the 2nd amendment," but more as a way to stop gun violence from going out of control.

    That's just what I think. I have a right to an opinion too.
    Do you state this based on any actual statistics? Is there some kind of graph you can point to from a neutral source that shows a rise in gun violence across the entirety of the U.S. and has any factual evidence that points to the availability of guns as one of the prime reasons this is happening?

    If all you're basing this off of is that there's been more sensationalized stories concerning Gun violence then I think you're exposing yourself to a critical flaw that is common in unscientific analysis....that is coming at an issue with a definitive bias and thus ignoring any other potential explanations and variables.

    For example, in regards to the amount of sensationalized stories, are there actually MORE going on now then there were in 1999 or 1989 relative to population? Or is there simply more 24/7 news stations, more talk radio shows, more traditional news outlets (from 3 to 4 now with fox regularly doing news shows), mobile devices able to get the news at any time any where, and the entire sprawl of the internet than there was in those years?

    I think you're looking at a percieved problem, percieving that problem potentially out of faulty reasonings, and then attempting to determine the cause of that problem through faulty reasonings, all to instill an act to "fix" that problem based likely more due to your subconcious desire for that act in the first place than any real legitimate reason for it.
    You down with TPP?

  4. #14
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 03:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Bullet Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Do you state this based on any actual statistics? Is there some kind of graph you can point to from a neutral source that shows a rise in gun violence across the entirety of the U.S. and has any factual evidence that points to the availability of guns as one of the prime reasons this is happening?
    This is the last time I am going to repeat this: it was my opinion. I said I think we are slowly reaching that point.

    Read my posts carefully please.

    If all you're basing this off of is that there's been more sensationalized stories concerning Gun violence then I think you're exposing yourself to a critical flaw that is common in unscientific analysis....that is coming at an issue with a definitive bias and thus ignoring any other potential explanations and variables.

    For example, in regards to the amount of sensationalized stories, are there actually MORE going on now then there were in 1999 or 1989 relative to population? Or is there simply more 24/7 news stations, more talk radio shows, more traditional news outlets (from 3 to 4 now with fox regularly doing news shows), mobile devices able to get the news at any time any where, and the entire sprawl of the internet than there was in those years?
    Read above.

    I think you're looking at a percieved problem, percieving that problem potentially out of faulty reasonings, and then attempting to determine the cause of that problem through faulty reasonings, all to instill an act to "fix" that problem based likely more due to your subconcious desire for that act in the first place than any real legitimate reason for it.
    No, increasing the prices on bullets makes the most sense to me.

    I'm not going on facts here, but the U.S. is sometimes considered more violent than most other countries. I've heard that gun crimes are more rampant here than many other countries that are considered "first world." Is this a problem? Is this wrong? I think it is, I'm not sure what you think, but I think there is a definite problem here.

    I think the conservative stance on this is basically saying "oh its ok, it'll all go away." From my view it looks like pro-gun activists would rather give people the right to hold a gun than hold on to their own lives.

    That is my opinion.


  5. #15
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Bullet Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    Ok, now that many people have thrown some stones at me, let me pick them up and set them aside.

    I think we are slowly reaching the tipping point in gun violence. Something has to be done. Am I the one to decide? No. I don't want to be.

    I don't think we should ban bullets or or guns, but I think increasing the prices on bullets rather than guns would work better. Now, I am not offering this suggestion as a way to "sneakily bypass the 2nd amendment," but more as a way to stop gun violence from going out of control.

    That's just what I think. I have a right to an opinion too.
    You want to stop gun violence? Stop coddling criminals. Stop calling murder manslaughter. Stop paroles. Stop letting people off the hook for their bad behavior by pontificating about the "root causes" of violence. Stop blaming inanimate objects for the recklessness of presumably intelligent human beings.

    The root cause of gun violence is stupid violent people. Taking away the guns or the ammunition will do nothing about the stupid violent people.

  6. #16
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    08-06-16 @ 04:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,668
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Bullet Control

    I agree that something needs to be done, but the simple fact is you're attacking the wrong side of the problem.

    Why are so many people resorting to irrational acts of mass murder? What is causing them to do this, and how do we make them stop?

    It isn't guns that are causing them to do this. When my father was in high school, he kept a loaded rifle in his locker every single day, as did many of his peers. The idea that any of them might ever turn those rifles against their fellow students was unthinkable; they used them for hunting on the way home from school.

    When I was in high school, the problem with "guns in school" was gang violence. (Never mind that I live in Wyoming and we only think we have gangs here.) If someone had a gun in their locker, it was assumed that it was a gang thing and that if anyone got shot, it would be another gang member or possibly an innocent bystander.

    That changed after the Columbine shooting. Then, not only did we all become afraid that our school could become next... the administration's ham-handed approach to the issue and their treatment of everyone who was suspected of being capable of that kind of violence made me understand just how someone could be driven to such behavior. They made it very, very tempting.

    Thankfully, that was my senior year and I graduated a month later.

  7. #17
    Global Moderator
    Engagement!
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,933

    Re: Bullet Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    This is the last time I am going to repeat this: it was my opinion. I said I think we are slowly reaching that point.

    Read my posts carefully please.

    Read above.
    I understand that its your opinion.

    My statement is that without knowing what your opinion is being BASED off of, and more specifically if its being based off anything factual, its hard to address your point.

    I could say its my opinion that we all are actually not born from the womb of a woman after a males sperm joins a female egg, but in reality we are hatched by great god storks that bring the baby to the woman and manipulates our minds to think that we've actually given birth.

    Just because its my "opinion", there's no reason anyone should agree with it, or really try to argue against it, if I don't provide SOME KIND of facts to back up my claim that they can use as reference and context to respond.

    No, increasing the prices on bullets makes the most sense to me.

    I'm not going on facts here, but the U.S. is sometimes considered more violent than most other countries. I've heard that gun crimes are more rampant here than many other countries that are considered "first world." Is this a problem? Is this wrong? I think it is, I'm not sure what you think, but I think there is a definite problem here.

    I think the conservative stance on this is basically saying "oh its ok, it'll all go away." From my view it looks like pro-gun activists would rather give people the right to hold a gun than hold on to their own lives.

    That is my opinion.
    That is your opinion, and thanks for admitting that your opinion isn't based on fact but gossip and speculation.

    Yes, there is an argument factually that the U.S. has a higher gun crime rate than other countries. There's also the argument that the U.S.'s population and larger amount of heavily urban areas than other countries contributes to this as much, if not far more, than the fact we allow people to have access to guns. There is facts that back up that places like DC or Chicago, which had or do have some of the most stringent gun laws, actually have higher violent crime rates than places that have looser restrictions. Does that necessarily mean the absence of easy gun access to law abiding citizens is the reason for it? No, there's multiple reasons for it. But its just as much "proof" that taking guns away will not help things as you have for saying taking them away will help.

    My issue with taking bullets away is its an inane, irrational, pointless action not based on facts, not based on any actual reasoning, other than "people have killed people with guns, therefore we need to take bullets away". That's a faulty, asinine logic. That's like looking at all deaths that involve cars and going "People have killed people with cars, therefore we need to tires away" while ignoring all the other factors involved.

    Regardless of the 2nd amendment infringements, in general, laws should not be passed because they "Feel good" or because "we have to do something" if there is no basis or realistic FACTS to suggest it will have a POSITIVE affect.

    Add in the fact that its likely an end around against the 2nd amendment, and then there's even LARGER burden for people to provide legitimate evidence as to why its absolutely positively needed and that it will have a positive effect.

    This isn't insulting your or casting stones for your opinion. You're free to have it. I'm telling you that without any actual facts to back it up its a bad opinion, and even worse law.
    You down with TPP?

  8. #18
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 03:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Bullet Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I understand that its your opinion.

    My statement is that without knowing what your opinion is being BASED off of, and more specifically if its being based off anything factual, its hard to address your point.

    I could say its my opinion that we all are actually not born from the womb of a woman after a males sperm joins a female egg, but in reality we are hatched by great god storks that bring the baby to the woman and manipulates our minds to think that we've actually given birth.

    Just because its my "opinion", there's no reason anyone should agree with it, or really try to argue against it, if I don't provide SOME KIND of facts to back up my claim that they can use as reference and context to respond.



    That is your opinion, and thanks for admitting that your opinion isn't based on fact but gossip and speculation.

    Yes, there is an argument factually that the U.S. has a higher gun crime rate than other countries. There's also the argument that the U.S.'s population and larger amount of heavily urban areas than other countries contributes to this as much, if not far more, than the fact we allow people to have access to guns. There is facts that back up that places like DC or Chicago, which had or do have some of the most stringent gun laws, actually have higher violent crime rates than places that have looser restrictions. Does that necessarily mean the absence of easy gun access to law abiding citizens is the reason for it? No, there's multiple reasons for it. But its just as much "proof" that taking guns away will not help things as you have for saying taking them away will help.

    My issue with taking bullets away is its an inane, irrational, pointless action not based on facts, not based on any actual reasoning, other than "people have killed people with guns, therefore we need to take bullets away". That's a faulty, asinine logic. That's like looking at all deaths that involve cars and going "People have killed people with cars, therefore we need to tires away" while ignoring all the other factors involved.

    Regardless of the 2nd amendment infringements, in general, laws should not be passed because they "Feel good" or because "we have to do something" if there is no basis or realistic FACTS to suggest it will have a POSITIVE affect.

    Add in the fact that its likely an end around against the 2nd amendment, and then there's even LARGER burden for people to provide legitimate evidence as to why its absolutely positively needed and that it will have a positive effect.

    This isn't insulting your or casting stones for your opinion. You're free to have it. I'm telling you that without any actual facts to back it up its a bad opinion, and even worse law.
    Hmmm ... Okay.


  9. #19
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,422
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Bullet Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post

    I don't think we should ban bullets or or guns, but I think increasing the prices on bullets rather than guns would work better. Now, I am not offering this suggestion as a way to "sneakily bypass the 2nd amendment," but more as a way to stop gun violence from going out of control.

    .
    I didn't mean to come across as throwing a stone at you. Certainley I have no issue with you as a poster, or you posting your beliefs. My ire is however, directed towards your idea of making bullets less accessible. I do believe that its just a roundabout/sneaky way to infringe upon the right to bear arms. It completely undermines the purpose of having said right, if you render that right powerless or ineffective. Thats my opinion on the matter.
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Bullet Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    Ok, now that many people have thrown some stones at me, let me pick them up and set them aside.

    I think we are slowly reaching the tipping point in gun violence. Something has to be done. Am I the one to decide? No. I don't want to be.

    I don't think we should ban bullets or or guns, but I think increasing the prices on bullets rather than guns would work better. Now, I am not offering this suggestion as a way to "sneakily bypass the 2nd amendment," but more as a way to stop gun violence from going out of control.

    That's just what I think. I have a right to an opinion too.

    Yes.

    SOMETHING has to be done.

    The best thing to do is stop interfering with the citizen's Constitutional right to keep and bear arms. That'll deter most of the nut cases, and make it that much more difficult for the undeterred ones to kill so many people.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •