View Poll Results: Gay marriage; where do you fall?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • I support gay marriage as a Federal mandated "right"

    24 39.34%
  • I support GM on a state to state basis IF decided by the citizens or passed by its Legislature

    14 22.95%
  • I support State Courts dictating to the legistlature that gay marriage is a right

    7 11.48%
  • I believe a Constitutional Amendment should be passed baning gay marriage

    19 31.15%
  • I do not believe Gay Marriage should ever be a right

    24 39.34%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 63

Thread: Gay marriage

  1. #31
    King Of The Dog Pound

    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,694

    Re: Gay marriage

    Let the states decide. If a state does recognize it, that union should be recognized by all other states.

    I still think the best solution is to get government out of marriage, period.


    No Lives Matter

  2. #32
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    04-04-14 @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,233

    Re: Gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    How would YOU suggest they are solved? On what basis?
    They don't always have to be "solved". Just in case no one told you libs, perfection is far from always possible in politics and to constantly struggle for it can be quite dangerous.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  3. #33
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Let the states decide and it is non-transferable.

    .
    I just explained why that won't work.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #34
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    They don't always have to be "solved". Just in case no one told you libs, perfection is far from always possible in politics and to constantly struggle for it can be quite dangerous.
    Perfection may be impossible, but a resolution to lawsuits is always possible. So I'll rephrase the question:

    Who would YOU propose deals with each of the situations I listed, if not the federal government? They all either involve the federal government directly, or affect the jurisdiction of more than one state which therefore involves the federal government indirectly.

    The feds can't just abdicate responsibility on this. Only the feds have the authority to do anything about those examples I listed, as explicitly stated in Article III Section 2 of the Constitution:

    The judicial power shall extend to all cases, in law and equity, arising under this Constitution, the laws of the United States, and treaties made, or which shall be made, under their authority;--to all cases affecting ambassadors, other public ministers and consuls;--to all cases of admiralty and maritime jurisdiction;--to controversies to which the United States shall be a party;--to controversies between two or more states;--between a state and citizens of another state;--between citizens of different states;--between citizens of the same state claiming lands under grants of different states, and between a state, or the citizens thereof, and foreign states, citizens or subjects.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 04-14-09 at 11:25 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #35
    Herzschmerz !
    Ahmed Shaheen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    04-29-14 @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,410

    Re: Gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Easy answer for me. It's up to the states, and not the Federal government's business.
    you mean its up to supreme courts, they'll strike down the ban like always.
    Last edited by Ahmed Shaheen; 04-15-09 at 02:07 AM.

  6. #36
    Advisor Unrein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    09-01-13 @ 12:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    448

    Re: Gay marriage

    This poll doesn't include the important "Marriage should not be a legal entity to begin with, for anyone" option.

  7. #37
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,612

    Re: Gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrein View Post
    This poll doesn't include the important "Marriage should not be a legal entity to begin with, for anyone" option.
    Only because that's a ridiculous option to begin with.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

  8. #38
    Advisor Unrein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    09-01-13 @ 12:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    448

    Re: Gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Only because that's a ridiculous option to begin with.
    My ass it is. Name one reason marriage should be a government institution.

  9. #39
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    04-04-14 @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,233

    Re: Gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Perfection may be impossible, but a resolution to lawsuits is always possible. So I'll rephrase the question:

    Who would YOU propose deals with each of the situations I listed, if not the federal government? They all either involve the federal government directly, or affect the jurisdiction of more than one state which therefore involves the federal government indirectly.

    The feds can't just abdicate responsibility on this. Only the feds have the authority to do anything about those examples I listed, as explicitly stated in Article III Section 2 of the Constitution:
    All I was saying is not all ambiquities need to be solved if that means we need to bring in some centralised authority. I'm not particularly interested in the ins and outs of the cases but simply in stating that one has to weigh up the problems with the costs of the centralised solution and should not be afriad of minor distortions to geometrical models of politics.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  10. #40
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    All I was saying is not all ambiquities need to be solved if that means we need to bring in some centralised authority. I'm not particularly interested in the ins and outs of the cases but simply in stating that one has to weigh up the problems with the costs of the centralised solution and should not be afriad of minor distortions to geometrical models of politics.
    Saying you aren't afraid of minor distortions is all well and good, but sooner or later people will start filing lawsuits for the reasons in that list (and other ambiguous situations that aren't on the list). When that happens, what are the federal courts going to do? Tell the plaintiffs/prosecutors and defendants to figure it out on their own? That seems highly unlikely. They're going to eventually rule that states must recognize marriages in other states, which will effectively legalize gay marriage nationwide.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •