View Poll Results: Should the U.S. Navy shell Somali villages that harbor pirates?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    24 42.86%
  • No.

    32 57.14%
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 171

Thread: Should the U.S. Navy shell Somali villages that harbor pirates?

  1. #111
    Herzschmerz !
    Ahmed Shaheen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    04-29-14 @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,410

    Re: Should the U.S. Navy shell Somali villages that harbor pirates?

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Or the fact Egyptians along with other countries have been enterting our waters and stealing out fishes.
    The correct response for me is to steal Egyptian and European ships in retaliation no?

    Just yesterday a Egyptian boat was found fishing illegally in Somali waters. What do you think the correct punishment is?
    mmm, stealing your fish > stealing our boats ?
    I think fish can reproduct, unlike boats

  2. #112
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    05-17-16 @ 11:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Should the U.S. Navy shell Somali villages that harbor pirates?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed Shaheen View Post
    mmm, stealing your fish > stealing our boats ?
    I think fish can reproduct, unlike boats
    I understand Egypt has problems over the concept of soverignty but keep it down when individual Somalis take it into their own hands or control your citizens.

    Just yesterday a Egyptian boat was found fishing illegally in Somali waters. What do you think the correct punishment is?
    Last edited by Laila; 04-17-09 at 06:42 AM.


  3. #113
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,336

    Re: Should the U.S. Navy shell Somali villages that harbor pirates?

    Quote Originally Posted by faminedynasty View Post
    Ah, lovely Somalia. Monument to the full potential of small government. It's such an ugly thing because we can't have our ships being hijacked and our sailors held hostage, and we have the right (and yes an obligation) to defend ourselves.
    At the same time, one should not underestimate the importance in situational factors in fueling piracy. These pirates are basically children with no other prospects for survival let alone gainful employment, and no one here can say for certain that finding themselves raised in conditions of perpetual poverty, starvation and violence they would not do the same. This whole ugliness is a monument to the consequences of allowing inhuman poverty to exist in our time.
    Didn't the US try to help with the Somali poverty problem back in the 90s? I think, for their trouble, they had soldiers drug through the street while those poor folks cheered.

    People usually get the governent and conditions they deserve. If they are willing to consort with pirates and profit from the deeds of pirates, they should be treated as pirates.

    That said, there is no need to indiscriminately shell the place. They should simply use some smart weapons to flatten anything bigger than a hut. The poor people do not own the large houses that are protected by fences and guards.

    .

  4. #114
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should the U.S. Navy shell Somali villages that harbor pirates?

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    That isn't anywhere close to enough proof to kill someone. Post some solid evidence.
    Says you.

    You know nothing about warfare or national defense.

    Kindly save your hippyish suggestions for Berkley town hall meetings.

    Thanks.

  5. #115
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should the U.S. Navy shell Somali villages that harbor pirates?

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    I understand Egypt has problems over the concept of soverignty but keep it down when individual Somalis take it into their own hands or control your citizens.
    You OF ALL PEOPLE are NEVER ENTITLED to tell somebody else to control THEIR citizens.

    Your homeland is a sewer of terrorists, pirates, criminals, warlords, and islamic corruption.

    You have ZERO business telling Ahmed to control HIS citizens.

  6. #116
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should the U.S. Navy shell Somali villages that harbor pirates?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    If you lived in a hut, you would live off of anything you could. Get off of your high horse.
    Stop making excuses for theives and murderers.


  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should the U.S. Navy shell Somali villages that harbor pirates?

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    You have yet to establish that all of the villagers are "feeding of the pirates". Certainly some do, but provide some proof that all of them support the pirates.
    Cease your latent support for the pirates and those who live off money stolen or extorted from others.

  8. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should the U.S. Navy shell Somali villages that harbor pirates?

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Its not a straw man. The tactic of killing civilians as a reprisal is what I am arguing against, and that is exactly what you are proposing. Stopping pirates may be a just cause, but using unnecessary and evil methods is not acceptable. Furthermore, I would challenge the effectiveness of such methods. Most likely, you would turn Somali into a hotbed for terrorist recruitment. You might stop piracy only to create a far worse problem.
    Nobody wants to kill civilians; however, if those civilians are harboring pirates, they are guilty of aiding and abedding the pirates.

    Accept it and move on.

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    You still fail to understand. Poverty CAUSES piracy, it does not justify it. A desire for revenge CAUSES terrorism, it does not justify it. Pirates taking Americans hostage CAUSES you to call for mass murder, it does not justify it.
    And you are still MAKING EXCUSES for pirates and those who harbor them.

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Living in the same town as a criminal makes you an accomplice? That an false definition of accomplice. Should the British have obliterated Dublin because of the IRA attacks?
    The life of civilian life is tragic; however, when those "civilians" are living off of the spolis of theft and murder THEY MUST BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE.

    They want a free pass -- they can exhile the pirates. Otherwise they can accept the consequences of living off of the proceeds of theft and murder.

  9. #119
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,548

    Re: Should the U.S. Navy shell Somali villages that harbor pirates?

    If you shell a town you instantly give them an army the next day. Oh ya. We want more armies to fight against of people that hate us with every bit of their core. Can't get that going till you kill some relatives though can ya.

    Has anyone seen any footage of the pirate attack where the 3 snipers took out the 3 gunmen? And if so has anyone seen any footage where the boat is not being towed? If so please share.
    Last edited by dirtpoorchris; 04-17-09 at 11:37 AM.
    Is society was made of coral our world would be floral.

  10. #120
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Should the U.S. Navy shell Somali villages that harbor pirates?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Stop making excuses for criminals, Egoftib.
    Stop your emotional daitribes.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •