View Poll Results: Are marriage licenses good or bad

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes -- government needs to issue them

    8 28.57%
  • No -- government should not be issuing them

    20 71.43%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47

Thread: Are marriage licenses good or bad?

  1. #1
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Are marriage licenses good or bad?

    Should the government be issuing marriage licenses to anyone?

    What purpose is served by government regulating the institution of marriage?

  2. #2
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,473

    Re: Are marriage licenses good or bad?

    I've been thinking about this more since the previous poll and can't think of any good or legitimate reason for government to regulate/license marriage. We have a secular government(non-endorsement of a church state) not to be confused with the public removal movement's twisted stance, this position disallows government from the licensure of marriage in that it isn't within the government's authority to ban the free exercise of religion, licensure puts a prior restraint on said exercise. The only reason I can think of to license marriage is two-fold, one, to allow for justice of the peace marriages which essentially are nothing more than glorified civil-unions, and two, to have yet one more thing that can be taxed.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 05:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: Are marriage licenses good or bad?

    It should only be a religious thing. "OK, it's morally and socially acceptable now for you to live together and have sex."

    Then, if you have a child, you should register with the government for tax breaks. The government should have nothing to do with your social morality.

  4. #4
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,473

    Re: Are marriage licenses good or bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by sazerac View Post
    It should only be a religious thing. "OK, it's morally and socially acceptable now for you to live together and have sex."

    Then, if you have a child, you should register with the government for tax breaks. The government should have nothing to do with your social morality.
    I agree completely.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #5
    Frankernaut peepnklown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-16-15 @ 02:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    607

    Re: Are marriage licenses good or bad?

    The state should only recognize civil unions (contracts).
    'The whole universe is going to die!'

  6. #6
    Educator ronpaulvoter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Seen
    07-18-16 @ 02:25 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    627

    fyi Re: Are marriage licenses good or bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Should the government be issuing marriage licenses to anyone?

    What purpose is served by government regulating the institution of marriage?
    A marriage is a contract. It should be treated the same as any other contract.

  7. #7
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,473

    Re: Are marriage licenses good or bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by ronpaulvoter View Post
    A marriage is a contract. It should be treated the same as any other contract.
    It is a contract in a way, but I disagree when we take it down to the basics of calling it a contract because that becomes fuel for a government expansion enthusiast to say, "see, it's a contract, that gives us ninth and tenth amendment control of it".
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #8
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Are marriage licenses good or bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    It is a contract in a way, but I disagree when we take it down to the basics of calling it a contract because that becomes fuel for a government expansion enthusiast to say, "see, it's a contract, that gives us ninth and tenth amendment control of it".
    I'm not so sure about that. Seems to me that contract law would work to the favor of the contracting parties and against government regulation.

  9. #9
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    08-06-16 @ 04:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,668
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are marriage licenses good or bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by sazerac View Post
    It should only be a religious thing. "OK, it's morally and socially acceptable now for you to live together and have sex."

    Then, if you have a child, you should register with the government for tax breaks. The government should have nothing to do with your social morality.
    I disagree. If it were simply about giving a tax break to parents, we could do that without a problem. I believe we're already doing so.

    The purpose of marriage is to provide legal and financial incentive for a couple to stay together. This is a necessary condition to provide a stable home environment for children and contributes considerably to providing proper supervision as well.

    If anything, the government should do more to uphold the social institution, not less. Unfortunately, any attempt to raise this issue is immediately hijacked by religious conservatives as a platform for homophobia-- and their liberal counterparts, who are of course opposed to morality.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,631

    Re: Are marriage licenses good or bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by peepnklown View Post
    The state should only recognize civil unions (contracts).
    Which is really all a marriage license is, it's a contract between two people, nothing more, nothing less.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •