View Poll Results: Are we an Arrogant country?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    70 66.04%
  • No

    36 33.96%
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 295

Thread: Are we an arrogant country?

  1. #61
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,473

    Re: Are we an arrogant country?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Terrell Owens, now there is one arrogant SOB.
    When Keyshawn Johnson tells you it's time to grow up, that says everything.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #62
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,618

    Re: Are we an arrogant country?

    We're massively arrogant, although under Obama I don't think it's quite as bad as it was under Bush, but we still act like we rule the world and everyone has to do what we say because we're the Great and Powerful US.

    We need to get out from behind the curtain and stop being insufferable pricks.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

  3. #63
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Are we an arrogant country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    We're massively arrogant, although under Obama I don't think it's quite as bad as it was under Bush, but we still act like we rule the world and everyone has to do what we say because we're the Great and Powerful US.

    We need to get out from behind the curtain and stop being insufferable pricks.
    How, when, and where has America done this? Specific events and examples, please.

  4. #64
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,473

    Re: Are we an arrogant country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    We need to get out from behind the curtain and stop being insufferable pricks.
    I don't know where all this arrogance talk is coming from, like Celticlord I would love some concrete examples to analyze. I went to a university that had a large international student body, and I was always interested in their cultures and wanted to know about their respective countries, I love the way the Japanese culture does business, relationships over the hardline, Chinese culture is responsible for many advancements historically, Indian people have been extremely polite and civil with me, we can thank England for the Magna Carta in which we based our founding principles(even though they are nibbling away at those reforms). I never mind another countries internals and don't care about non ally problems, so what in all of this makes me or any American who thinks as such arrogant?
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #65
    Tavern Bartender
    #neverhillary
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    68,030

    Re: Are we an arrogant country?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    How, when, and where has America done this? Specific events and examples, please.
    He's mouthfoaming again, he's what CC calls a hyperpartisan.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)

  6. #66
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Are we an arrogant country?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    He's mouthfoaming again, he's what CC calls a hyperpartisan.
    Fine. Let him blow some specific partisan bubbles, so they can be properly burst.

  7. #67
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Are we an arrogant country?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    How, when, and where has America done this? Specific events and examples, please.
    Nicaragua, Honduras, Panama, Iraq, Lebanon, Somali, Georgia, phillipines, Haiti, Columbia, arab-Israeli conflicts, Grenada, Cuba.

    We are big on doing things "my way or the highway ". All for the fighting of communism/terrorism/democracy of course.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  8. #68
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 03:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Are we an arrogant country?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Surely you are being sarcastic
    No I'm not, you're statement is very narrow-minded.


    The last time I checked Obama represents the American people,he has no businesses saying anything bad about the people he represents.
    There is a line a president is supposed to walk.Bad mouthing the country and the people he represents crosses that line. He may not be patriotic but he is supposed to least give the appearance of it considering he is the representative of the people of the USA and this is the same office Washington,Lincoln and many other great founding forefathers served. Seeing how you are a lib you see patriotism/nationalism as a bad thing. In a democratic society politicians and appointed officials are the people's bitches.
    I'm not sure if you listened to the entire speech or you just watched Fox news. I do not see patriotism as a bad thing. I have said time and again on this thread that I love this country.

    I need to know why you think I believe patriotism is a bad thing. I never gave this notion. Also, I am not a liberal, something I have also not stated. I take things for what they are. If you think the President's statements were unpatriotic, then you are obviously someone who rarely admits mistakes and/or is blindly proud of everything you support and you are thus ignorant.
    I'm not attacking you, I'm just saying that as a fact, this is what you have become. Hopefully you can come out of it.


    So anyway, I'm not gonna continue this discussion, because you seem to want to continue going in circles, and I guess I'll let you do that. I'm walking away. Like I said, you have your amplifier turned all the way up.


  9. #69
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,473

    Re: Are we an arrogant country?

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    Nicaragua, Honduras, Panama, Iraq, Lebanon, Somali, Georgia, phillipines, Haiti, Columbia, arab-Israeli conflicts, Grenada, Cuba.

    We are big on doing things "my way or the highway ". All for the fighting of communism/terrorism/democracy of course.
    I'll give you Nicaragua, honduras, and Panama, but Iraq started in the early nineties when they attacked our ally Kuwait, that was justifyable. Lebanon was a human rights violation of grand scale, I know many in the lebanese community in my city and they aren't too broken up about our interference there. Don't get me started on Somalia, I have friends who were wounded there, Georgia asked for our help, phillipenes are grey area, Haiti, yeah, gotta give you that one too. Columbia is a disgrace, the war on drugs is a joke and even though you could technically justify that one, it doesn't fly based upon the premise of why we are there. Arab-Israeli conflicts also falls into the ally category, Grenada is a legit criticism, but Cuba after the missile crisis of the 60's is a legitamate concern considering they are only a couple of hundred miles away from our shores.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  10. #70
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Are we an arrogant country?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    but Iraq started in the early nineties when they attacked our ally Kuwait, that was justifyable.
    But it was arrogant to go into gulf war 2 with a "coalition of the willing" despite the politics, wouldn't you say?

    Lebanon was a human rights violation of grand scale, I know many in the lebanese community in my city and they aren't too broken up about our interference there.
    Reagen era: despite the fact that we opened the door to Israel who then made a mess of things and then we stood by and watched as the mess we created created a civilian slaughter?

    Don't get me started on Somalia, I have friends who were wounded there,
    So that proves something?

    Georgia asked for our help,
    true. But in hindsight it appears we were a bit too arrogant in addressing Russias concerns.

    phillipenes are grey area,
    don't know enough about it to comment much.

    Haiti, yeah, gotta give you that one too. Columbia is a disgrace, the war on drugs is a joke and even though you could technically justify that one, it doesn't fly based upon the premise of why we are there.
    same reason we are all over S America.

    Arab-Israeli conflicts also falls into the ally category,
    Nasir and Egypt were our ally until we took an unflinching pro-israeli stance in the 6-day war. Nasir did the only rationale thing and opened his arms to the Soviets. By failing to moderate our approach we poisoned our relationship with the Arabs. Such disdain is still present today and we are reaping what we sowed.

    but Cuba after the missile crisis of the 60's is a legitamate concern considering they are only a couple of hundred miles away from our shores.
    so we can do no evil? All is fair? We've failed PATHETICALLY with Cuba. I don't know if another strategy would work better but I do know our goals have not been achieved.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •