View Poll Results: Should gay sex be added to the sex education curriculum?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, its important for their future safety.

    26 42.62%
  • No, this sort of thing should not be encouraged.

    35 57.38%
Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 288

Thread: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

  1. #231
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:03 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    21,971

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grateful Heart View Post
    The fact that you go to such great lengths to eliminate any reference to sexual orientation suggests that it does indeed matter to you very much.
    I go to no lengths. My view and statements on this have been consistently simple.

    Instead, it is YOU who go to fantastic lengths to try to find some reason why sexual orientation should matter to the purposes of a sex ed class, especially as I and about a dozen others have described it.

    Just because I recognize what you're doing and refuse to buy into it, it doesn't mean that I'm the one doing the gymnastics. It's you.

    One more time: "if you're sticking it in, or getting it stuck into you, use a condom." It's a universal rule which covers all bases.


    I asked you previously whether you thought it would be appropriate to discuss sexual orientation in any other class, such as civics. You did not respond. So I'll ask again... under what context could or should any public school teacher lead a discussion of homosexuality?
    And I told YOU previously that may statements were about the sex ed class as I described it and about nothing else, and I'm not, nor am I interested in, discussing any other kind of class. Why? Because it's not germane to the thread. and I don't feel like it.

    And that, I'm afraid, is the answer you're just going to have to accept.
    Last edited by Harshaw; 04-20-09 at 01:45 AM.
    2001-2008: Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
    2009-2016: Dissent is the highest form of racism.
    2017-? (Probably): Dissent is the highest form of misogyny.

  2. #232
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    09-25-16 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,365

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grateful Heart View Post
    This argument is disingenuous and it can be proved in a very simple way.

    If it's true that sexual orientation has 'no bearing' on the teaching of sex ed and health and safety, then there should be no objections to interchanging masculine and feminine pronouns in texts.

    For instance, the phrase,

    'The passive partner in anal sex should ensure that her partner uses a condom to prevent the risk of HIV/AIDS'

    could just as well read

    'The passive partner in anal sex should ensure that his partner uses a condom to prevent the risk of HIV/AIDS.'

    Since sexual orientation is irrelevant. Either should be acceptable.

    Any objections?

    How about: "Always make sure that you or your partner always uses a condom when having penetrative sex"

  3. #233
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 03:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    How is it "discrimination" if you don't mention either?
    Not discrimination like "oh we're gonna offend people" but discrimination like "oh let's teach this subject but not this." It unnecessarily discriminates what "should be taught" versus what "should not be taught" based on opinion, and basing it on opinion is wrong. We should just teach about it anyway.


  4. #234
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:03 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    21,971

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    Not discrimination like "oh we're gonna offend people" but discrimination like "oh let's teach this subject but not this." It unnecessarily discriminates what "should be taught" versus what "should not be taught" based on opinion, and basing it on opinion is wrong. We should just teach about it anyway.
    If you don't mention any sexual orientation, how is it "let's teach this subject but not this"? Neither is "taught."
    2001-2008: Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
    2009-2016: Dissent is the highest form of racism.
    2017-? (Probably): Dissent is the highest form of misogyny.

  5. #235
    Educator Grateful Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    12-27-09 @ 02:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    I go to no lengths. My view and statements on this have been consistently simple.

    Instead, it is YOU who go to fantastic lengths to try to find some reason why sexual orientation should matter to the purposes of a sex ed class, especially as I and about a dozen others have described it.

    Just because I recognize what you're doing and refuse to buy into it, it doesn't mean that I'm the one doing the gymnastics. It's you.

    One more time: "if you're sticking it in, or getting it stuck into you, use a condom." It's a universal rule which covers all bases.




    And I told YOU previously that may statements were about the sex ed class as I described it and about nothing else, and I'm not, nor am I interested in, discussing any other kind of class. Why? Because it's not germane to the thread. and I don't feel like it.

    And that, I'm afraid, is the answer you're just going to have to accept.
    Once again you've taken the time to write a rather lengthy response... but can't seem to find the time or inclination to answer a very simple question. No gymnastics are required... no contortions, flips, cartwheels or handstands.

    Should homosexuality be addressed in the public school in any classroom setting, and if so, in what context? If not, why not?

    Whether or not you believe the question is germane to the thread or not really shouldn't be an issue. There's no rule on message boards that I'm aware of that prohibits discussion outside the very strict limits of the OP. And I think most reasonable people would consider the question very much germane to the overall issue of sex education in schools.

    ..

  6. #236
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grateful Heart View Post
    Nothing in my post suggested a 'how to manual' for doing anything. There is simply no way that HIV/AIDS can reasonably be discussed in a sex ed class without mentioning that anal sex is the highest risk activity. If your goal is to reduce the risk of HIV/AIDS, then you either need to instruct the students to refrain from anal sex, or to use a condom during anal sex. If a student asks 'What is anal sex?', what would you have the teacher respond? Nothing? To simply ignore the issue altogether would be ridiculous.

    If issues such as this offend the sensibilities then you might as well do away with sex ed altogether.
    You don't need to mention anything of sexual preference to talk about the risks of HIV, the most common transmissions of HIV, or to give a general description of anal sex.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  7. #237
    Educator Grateful Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    12-27-09 @ 02:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    You don't need to mention anything of sexual preference to talk about the risks of HIV, the most common transmissions of HIV, or to give a general description of anal sex.
    Well that's like saying that you don't "need" to mention specific political parties in order to talk about United States elections. We could, for instance, devise a course that makes no mention of Democrats or Republicans or Libertarians or Greens. We could simply explain the process by which citizens vote in this nation, how the electoral college works and the significance of the twelfth amendment. We could make sure that our kids remain unaware that politicians are most normally affiliated with one major party or another. But in a world where political parties do indeed exist... it would seem odd to construct a course in such a manner, don't you agree? The students would come away with an education that was somehow not quite complete... an understanding of the world that most educated people would consider insufficient.

    And I think it would be reasonable to ask anyone who argued for such a 'neutral' discussion of American politics, a discussion which leaves out very obvious realities... what benefit they see by removing those obvious realities from the curriculum.


  8. #238
    Global Moderator
    Engagement!
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,948

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grateful Heart View Post
    . To suggest that sexual orientation 'doesn't matter' defies common sense, especially in this day and age where gays and lesbians are quite visible. And it would certainly matter in any discussion of the risks of HIV/AIDS.
    Please, enlighten us how being homosexual or heterosexual matters greatly in the discussion of the risk of HIV/AIDS?
    You down with TPP?

  9. #239
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grateful Heart View Post
    Well that's like saying that you don't "need" to mention specific political parties in order to talk about United States elections. We could, for instance, devise a course that makes no mention of Democrats or Republicans or Libertarians or Greens. We could simply explain the process by which citizens vote in this nation, how the electoral college works and the significance of the twelfth amendment. We could make sure that our kids remain unaware that politicians are most normally affiliated with one major party or another. But in a world where political parties do indeed exist... it would seem odd to construct a course in such a manner, don't you agree? The students would come away with an education that was somehow not quite complete... an understanding of the world that most educated people would consider insufficient.

    And I think it would be reasonable to ask anyone who argued for such a 'neutral' discussion of American politics, a discussion which leaves out very obvious realities... what benefit they see by removing those obvious realities from the curriculum.

    I am in no way saying the types of sexual orientations not be mentioned in any manner. There should be education on the differing types of sexual orientations.

    What is not needed is what sexual techniques those specific sexual orientations generally participate in. There is no educational benefit in it, their participating techniques are completely subjective.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  10. #240
    Educator Grateful Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    12-27-09 @ 02:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Please, enlighten us how being homosexual or heterosexual matters greatly in the discussion of the risk of HIV/AIDS?
    Oh we don't necessarily have to stick with HIV/AIDS. We could take the example of chlamydia, for example. Here's an excerpt from the CDC website about that particular STD...

    Chlamydia can be transmitted during vaginal, anal, or oral sex. Chlamydia can also be passed from an infected mother to her baby during vaginal childbirth.
    Any sexually active person can be infected with chlamydia. The greater the number of sex partners, the greater the risk of infection. Because the cervix (opening to the uterus) of teenage girls and young women is not fully matured and is probably more susceptible to infection, they are at particularly high risk for infection if sexually active. Since chlamydia can be transmitted by oral or anal sex, men who have sex with men are also at risk for chlamydial infection.
    We could easily modify that paragraph to strip away any mention of those segments of the population who are at high-risk for this disease. But what would be the point of excluding that information? I think most reasonable people would agree that students should understand why young women, in particular, are at greater risk. Similarly, if another segment of the population is at high risk, it seems more than reasonable to explain which segment that is and why.

    ..
    Last edited by Grateful Heart; 04-20-09 at 01:08 PM.

Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •