View Poll Results: Should gay sex be added to the sex education curriculum?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, its important for their future safety.

    26 42.62%
  • No, this sort of thing should not be encouraged.

    35 57.38%
Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 288

Thread: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

  1. #191
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:04 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    21,972

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Look, I know that you're trying to maneuver me into some kind of trap wherein I reveal my Evangelical Christian prudishness and start pushing "abstinence only" or something, but it ain't gonna happen, because that ain't me.

    I'm not going to write a course syllabus. I already explained the whats and whys. Sex education should 1) explain the biology of reproduction and 2) the prevention of pregnancy and the spreading of STDs. If there is to be clinical definitions of other types of sex, then fine. As a science and health course, it's fine. Beyond that, take Human Sexuality when you get to college, because it has no place in a middle school curriculum (which is where sex ed is generally taught).
    2001-2008: Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
    2009-2016: Dissent is the highest form of racism.
    2017-? (Probably): Dissent is the highest form of misogyny.

  2. #192
    Educator Grateful Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    12-27-09 @ 02:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Look, I know that you're trying to maneuver me into some kind of trap wherein I reveal my Evangelical Christian prudishness and start pushing "abstinence only" or something, but it ain't gonna happen, because that ain't me.

    I'm not going to write a course syllabus. I already explained the whats and whys. Sex education should 1) explain the biology of reproduction and 2) the prevention of pregnancy and the spreading of STDs. If there is to be clinical definitions of other types of sex, then fine. As a science and health course, it's fine. Beyond that, take Human Sexuality when you get to college, because it has no place in a middle school curriculum (which is where sex ed is generally taught).
    I don't have any fundamental problem with the syllabus you just outlined. However, it seems somewhat inconsistent with this earlier comment:

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    And I don't see how gay sex fits in at all.
    Now you say a clinical definition of other types of sex is fine. If that's your opinion I think we're close to agreement. Although I think I'd probably allow a little more leeway for the discussion of values than you seem to want to permit.

    Edit to add: We didn't get sex education in middle school when I was growing up. Other than the girls being pulled out in 5th grade for the menstruation lesson, I remember no discussion of sexual reproduction until the sophomore year in high school. I'm not sure what age they're starting these days... but I agree that whatever is taught should be age appropriate. In my opinion, by the time a student is 16 or 17... they are fully equipped to handle adult discussions.

    Last edited by Grateful Heart; 04-17-09 at 12:26 AM.

  3. #193
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 03:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I was talking about all sex. I've never had gay sex.
    Ok, good for you, what's your point?


    When did "sex education" change from teaching students how reproduction works to teaching them how to have sex?
    It never did.


  4. #194
    Herzschmerz !
    Ahmed Shaheen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    04-29-14 @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,410

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Which one?

    Me having sex or letting kids figure things out by trial and error?

    I'm gonna say "Both"!
    mmm, i'd say that there are many things cant be under "trail and error", because once you try it you cant feel any error, timebeing ..

  5. #195
    Herzschmerz !
    Ahmed Shaheen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    04-29-14 @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,410

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    What about students who have "straight sex" and say the same thing?

    Here's a reason: Education.

    How else will students learn about it?
    That really depends on the type of the education : "Carrot or stick"

  6. #196
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:04 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    21,972

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grateful Heart View Post
    I don't have any fundamental problem with the syllabus you just outlined. However, it seems somewhat inconsistent with this earlier comment:
    It's not inconsistent. And a number of others from across the political spectrum have said the same thing in this thread, and were heavily thanked by many others still.


    Now you say a clinical definition of other types of sex is fine. If that's your opinion I think we're close to agreement. Although I think I'd probably allow a little more leeway for the discussion of values than you seem to want to permit.
    "Values" aren't science.
    2001-2008: Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
    2009-2016: Dissent is the highest form of racism.
    2017-? (Probably): Dissent is the highest form of misogyny.

  7. #197
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,368

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    Ok, good for you, what's your point?
    My point was responding to this:

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    Trial and error, 'cause if students are forced to use that method for gay sex, who's to say other students won't do the same concerning straight sex?
    Obviously, the above indicates that your were confused as to what type of sex I was referring to in my posts so I clarified it for you.


    I would have thought that quoting the post I was responding to was enough to explain my point, but if you'd like further clarification than what was obvious, I could perhaps build you a diorama that illustrates the point further. Would that be helpful?
    Last edited by Tucker Case; 04-17-09 at 01:37 PM.

  8. #198
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 03:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I would have thought that quoting the post I was responding to was enough to explain my point, but if you'd like further clarification than what was obvious, I could perhaps build you a diorama that illustrates the point further. Would that be helpful?
    Ok I understand, but don't you think trial and error, whether it is gay or straight, is wrong in some way? It could lead to illegal business (underage sex).


  9. #199
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,368

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    Ok I understand, but don't you think trial and error, whether it is gay or straight, is wrong in some way? It could lead to illegal business (underage sex).
    I was actually just making a joke with my first post about trial and error. Forgot the darn smiley. My bad on that.

    But I will add that there is nothing on the planet that will "lead "to underage sex except being underage and wanting to have sex. What trial and error would lead to is a LOT more errors that result in babies and STD's.

    I'm in favor of sex ed.

  10. #200
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:04 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    21,972

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    I think almost everyone learns sex by trial and error.
    2001-2008: Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
    2009-2016: Dissent is the highest form of racism.
    2017-? (Probably): Dissent is the highest form of misogyny.

Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •