View Poll Results: Should gay sex be added to the sex education curriculum?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, its important for their future safety.

    26 42.62%
  • No, this sort of thing should not be encouraged.

    35 57.38%
Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 288

Thread: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

  1. #171
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,368

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    Trial and error, 'cause if students are forced to use that method for gay sex, who's to say other students won't do the same concerning straight sex?
    I was talking about all sex. I've never had gay sex.

  2. #172
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    21,972

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    When did "sex education" change from teaching students how reproduction works to teaching them how to have sex?
    2001-2008: Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
    2009-2016: Dissent is the highest form of racism.
    2017-? (Probably): Dissent is the highest form of misogyny.

  3. #173
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    When did "sex education" change from teaching students how reproduction works to teaching them how to have sex?
    Britain, year 6, they teach us. Dont know about America but just because they dont do it there doesnt mean same goes for everywhere else.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  4. #174
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    21,972

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Britain, year 6, they teach us. Dont know about America but just because they dont do it there doesnt mean same goes for everywhere else.
    Well, you started this thread talking about Ohio. I grew up in Ohio and I know what the sex education was when I went through it.

    The point is, there's a valid argument to be made to teach kids the biology of sex in school -- reproduction. I've got no problem with that. It's science, and it's something burgeoning adolescents need to know. I also have no problem with covering STD prevention anymore than I do with teaching dental health.

    But anything beyond that is something very different, something the public schools have no business being in.
    2001-2008: Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
    2009-2016: Dissent is the highest form of racism.
    2017-? (Probably): Dissent is the highest form of misogyny.

  5. #175
    Educator Grateful Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    12-27-09 @ 02:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    When did "sex education" change from teaching students how reproduction works to teaching them how to have sex?
    I think I understand what you're trying to say here. I think you're making a distinction between teaching about the micro level mechanics of reproduction such as egg, sperm, zygote and so on, versus the teaching of the macro level mechanics of reproduction, which might be described as 'insert peg A into slot B.' Is that what you're saying?

    If that's the case, would you include in the course an explanation of how the sperm actually manage to get from the testes to the egg? A 'detailed route map' if you will? Or would that be too close to teaching 'how' to have sex?


  6. #176
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    21,972

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grateful Heart View Post
    I think I understand what you're trying to say here. I think you're making a distinction between teaching about the micro level mechanics of reproduction such as egg, sperm, zygote and so on, versus the teaching of the macro level mechanics of reproduction, which might be described as 'insert peg A into slot B.' Is that what you're saying?
    No. The physical act of intercourse is part of the biological process.

    But some people here are talking about teaching kids the "right way" to have sex. That's not what it should be about.

    And I don't see how gay sex fits in at all.
    2001-2008: Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
    2009-2016: Dissent is the highest form of racism.
    2017-? (Probably): Dissent is the highest form of misogyny.

  7. #177
    Educator Grateful Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    12-27-09 @ 02:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    No. The physical act of intercourse is part of the biological process.

    But some people here are talking about teaching kids the "right way" to have sex. That's not what it should be about.

    And I don't see how gay sex fits in at all.
    How about masturbation? Does that fit into the curriculum? Why or why not?


  8. #178
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    21,972

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grateful Heart View Post
    How about masturbation? Does that fit into the curriculum? Why or why not?

    I suppose you could make some argument for a passing mention just to define the term, but not really. There's no risk in anyone exploring that on their own.
    2001-2008: Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
    2009-2016: Dissent is the highest form of racism.
    2017-? (Probably): Dissent is the highest form of misogyny.

  9. #179
    Educator Grateful Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    12-27-09 @ 02:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    I suppose you could make some argument for a passing mention just to define the term, but not really. There's no risk in anyone exploring that on their own.
    I'm a little uncertain about your argument here. It sounds like you're suggesting that sex-ed topics need to be evaluated by the level of 'risk' involved. And that masturbation is a 'little or no risk' activity.

    Could you elaborate?


  10. #180
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    21,972

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grateful Heart View Post
    I'm a little uncertain about your argument here. It sounds like you're suggesting that sex-ed topics need to be evaluated by the level of 'risk' involved. And that masturbation is a 'little or no risk' activity.

    Could you elaborate?

    What's confusing about it? Sex is an eminently personal thing. The justification for sex education in the school is that it's because students need to learn what it is and what the consequences may be; i.e., pregnancy and the transmittal of disease.

    Anything beyond that and you're pushing social policy, not public health. You're out of science and into socialization. There's no pedagogical purpose.
    2001-2008: Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
    2009-2016: Dissent is the highest form of racism.
    2017-? (Probably): Dissent is the highest form of misogyny.

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •