View Poll Results: Should gay sex be added to the sex education curriculum?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, its important for their future safety.

    26 42.62%
  • No, this sort of thing should not be encouraged.

    35 57.38%
Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 288

Thread: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

  1. #111
    Educator BulletWounD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    02-17-11 @ 08:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    984

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Dont forget the ones we dont know about. Its very likely you have met many homosexual people that you couldnt pick up on or are just "in the closet", if you understand what i mean.
    I wont deny the possibility but how could the number of these people ever be measured for statistical analysis in any meaningful way?

    I just remembered another person, a lesbian. She was married for something like 40 years and had kids before announcing that she was a lesbian. So that makes 4.

    I've known a couple "bi-sexuals" (equal opportunity sluts ) but these people were flaky, with a history of abuse, so I don't really know what's up with them. One day they'd be gay, the next they'd be straight then bi then straight again... whatever.

  2. #112
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by BulletWounD View Post
    I've known a couple "bi-sexuals" (equal opportunity sluts ) but these people were flaky, with a history of abuse, so I don't really know what's up with them. One day they'd be gay, the next they'd be straight then bi then straight again... whatever.
    What do you mean "one day they will be straight and then bi"? Thats the whole point of being bisexual, your a bit of gay and straight.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  3. #113
    Educator BulletWounD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    02-17-11 @ 08:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    984

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    What do you mean "one day they will be straight and then bi"? Thats the whole point of being bisexual, your a bit of gay and straight.
    They go back and forth. It might not make sense to you and it doesn't make sense to me but it makes sense to them so whatever.

  4. #114
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 05:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Being bi means you have the capacity for both or either on any given day. You are not "gay" one day and "straight" the next, you are always bi.

    I personally find the labelling system to be wholy inadequate for describing these kinds of things.

  5. #115
    Tavern Bartender
    #neverhillary
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    68,027

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    The slippery slope falacy is not a good one here. Just because an extreme example COULD happen or is something people WANT to happen doesn't mean it automatically WILL happen nor does it mean that something else shouldn't happen just because it has a slight chance of leading to it.
    I disagree, they are not teaching heterosexual behavior, but reproduction. Getting into heterosexual vs homosexual is political.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)

  6. #116
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 03:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    I find it odd you need to ask. My opposition has been clear and categorical throughout.

    I am against it being taught, because, from a health and safety standpoint, it is not relevant. It matters not whether the actors are heterosexual nor homosexual, and injecting the sexuality dimension puts the teacher in the position of saying that something is "ok" or "not ok" from a moral rather than a health/safety perspective. Calling sex "gay sex" or "straight sex" injects a level of moralization that is incompatible with the proper role of the public school system. Schools should not be teaching morals either one way or the other. Teaching "gay" anything is necessarily incorporating a moral content into the curriculum and is wrong; teaching "straight" anything is necessarily incorporating a moral content into the curriculum and is wrong. Schools should refrain from moral content of any kind in any subject.
    I think they can teach the subject without saying its "ok" or "not ok." You're assuming what might be true for some teachers will be true for every teacher.

    For analogy's sake: Let's say a teacher is pro-stem cell research. That teacher can teach about stem cell research, in fact it IS taught about, without saying that it is morally right or wrong. Education about homosexuality is no different, unless the teacher chooses to make it so based on their opinions.


    If you were to read, you would have seen my response to Orius on this:
    Sorry.


    A physics teacher would not entertain questions on English, a history teacher would not entertain questions on biology, why should a sex education teacher entertain questions on relationships and sexuality (and "gay" anything falls into that topic, which is separate and apart from sex education)?
    From now on, I will put quotations around the term "gay sex" since it is clear that you refuse to refer to it in the common manner, for whatever reason.

    You can call it whatever you want, but in the end, there will be questions about what is commonly referred to as "gay sex."

    What you are saying is not like a history professor refusing to teach about biology, as you said, what you are saying is like a history professor refusing to teach about the U.S. government (if the school has a history class as well as a government class).

    History and government are very closely related, yet are able to be separated into individual courses. In this way, "gay sex" is a part of sex/safety/health and should be so. It is a part of it, but an important part.

    Let's say I have a question about government, my school does not have a gov't class, and my parents don't know much on the subject. I would reason to ask my history professor rather than my biology professor, since what I have learned in history somewhat touches on aspects of gov't and is most related to it than any other class.

    This is almost EXACTLY the case in the matter of "gay sex" :
    Let's say I have a question about "gay sex," my school does not have a "gay sex" class, and my parents don't know much on the subject. I would reason to ask my sex-ed professor rather than my algebra professor, since what I have learned in sex-ed somewhat touches on aspects of "gay sex" and is most related to it than any other class.
    Last edited by Cilogy; 04-13-09 at 10:11 AM.


  7. #117
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by BulletWounD View Post
    They go back and forth. It might not make sense to you and it doesn't make sense to me but it makes sense to them so whatever.
    got you.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  8. #118
    Global Moderator
    Engagement!
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,936

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    Again, thanks for the unnecessary info about what constitutes as gay sex, but gay sex still fits into the health and safety categories because of AIDS and all that "fun stuff."
    What EXACTLY are these specific "fun stuff" that is so different in regards to health and safety for gays than straights?

    I've never seen any study that says biologicaly gays are more prone to get AIDS than straight people. Perhaps you can fill me in?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grateful Heart View Post
    What would we think if a 17 or 18-y/o student graduated from the public school and did not know the meaning of the word fetish, or the word bestiality, or pedophilia, or could not explain the difference between a transexual and a bisexual individual?
    I didn't learn about what the word "Fetish" means from school, nor "beastiality" or "pedophilia". I learned it in general from society, parents, peers, television, and the internet. I don't remember a class in school with teachers going "And some people find themselves sexually attracted to animals and thus engage in beastiality".

    Pedohpila would be the closest of those I learned in school, and that wasn't so much the term as it was safety things as a kid that you later realize is because of child touchers.

    In terms of bisexuality or transexual, personally I feel that is more of a biological thing. I don't have an issue explaining that there are people that find themselves attracted to the same sex, or both sexes. I don't have any issues talking about the scientific fact that some people are born transexual. I think those that just "choose" to change their sex don't need to be discussed, but again, this comes up through social upbringing I believe. The difference is you can speak about them in a general way without giving moral decisions on them as being "normal", "abnormal", etc. At best, it can be stated that they're uncommon, which is factually true and morally ambiguous.

    Would we find that a good thing or would we think their education had suffered somewhere along the way?
    I wouldn't find it a "good" thing, and I'd think there's something likely wrong with the kid in regards to his social and family life had he never even heard of the words or what they mean. Education, in regards to scholastic education, would be one of the last things I'd blame for it.

    Should a student understand the meaning of sexual abuse and/or rape?
    Sexual abuse and rape are both things that are against the law, so its outside what Celtic talks about in regards to "morals" being taught. It'd also fall into the health and safety realm of things.

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I disagree, they are not teaching heterosexual behavior, but reproduction. Getting into heterosexual vs homosexual is political.
    What does that have anything to do with what you responded to. You stated your opposition to talking about gay sex because they won't "stop there" and will keep pushing till homosexuality is taught as normal and completely acceptable. I stated that the slippery slope, saying that if we allow them to talk about gay sex that they'll eventually try to make them teach that homosexuality is normal and perfectly fine, is not a legitimate argument.

    How do you "disagree" with that context based on them not teaching heterosexual behavior.

    Or are you suggesting we teach children that the only time anyone engages in sexual activity is with the express intent to reproduce?
    You down with TPP?

  9. #119
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Are you trying to promote gay sex?

    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  10. #120
    Educator Grateful Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    12-27-09 @ 02:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Should schools include gay sex as part of sex education curriculum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    In terms of bisexuality or transexual, personally I feel that is more of a biological thing. I don't have an issue explaining that there are people that find themselves attracted to the same sex, or both sexes. I don't have any issues talking about the scientific fact that some people are born transexual. I think those that just "choose" to change their sex don't need to be discussed, but again, this comes up through social upbringing I believe. The difference is you can speak about them in a general way without giving moral decisions on them as being "normal", "abnormal", etc. At best, it can be stated that they're uncommon, which is factually true and morally ambiguous.
    I guess this is the closest we'll come to an agreement. And I suspect we're not that far apart in our thinking.

    I've seen some make the case that the topic of homosexuality or other sexual issues should be completely taboo in the public school... and you don't seem to be making that case.

    And I suppose the characterization of 'normal' or 'abnormal' would probably come up only if a student posed the question. I can imagine in a history or sociology class, for example, if the issue of Judaism came up, a student might pop in with 'My parents tell me that Jews are going to hell.' And I guess the proper response from the teacher would be to explain to the student that their personal religious beliefs should be left at home, since the Jewish kids in the class might take great offense to that kind of bigotry.


Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •