View Poll Results: Are people, taken as a whole, unintelligent?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 62.16%
  • No

    11 29.73%
  • Other

    3 8.11%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 53

Thread: People: Dumb?

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Last Seen
    01-30-12 @ 07:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,730

    Re: People: Dumb?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Better question: Are they smart enough to look out for themselves? Or do they need someone to defend them from themselves?
    It seems to me that the ability to see or vision the bigger picture or the perceptiveness of people do vary quite greatly among individuals.

    A persons IQ can almost be calculated just by how they live their lives.

    The lower the IQ the more individuals live a life more focused on the very basic of human needs and entertainment.

    The middle IQ class expands a little from their personal basic needs and has a vision expanding to get involved and help the community be a better place.

    The higher class of intelligence are well beyond living a life mainly focused on basic personal needs and entertainment. They are usually compelled to constantly research and learn about every aspect of everything around them.

    To answer your question more directly, yes most people lack a bigger vision and live their life basically like sheep in the mainstream america.
    These type of people usually don't do much thinking of behind the scenes and just except what they're told and that's it...period...denial and ignorance is bliss...

    From that angle people are dumb.
    Last edited by creativedreams; 03-27-09 at 07:46 PM.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 05:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: People: Dumb?

    We aren't smart enough to avoid the tragedy of the commons like all other animals face when their species overpopulates. We aren't smart enough to avoid engaging in our trivial tribalistic wars between nations, and egoistic competition.

    I think we are comparatively smarter, but we are not smart. The species as a whole is still quite primitive. Sorry for taking the glass is half empty approach, but I can't help it.

  3. #13
    Educator Grateful Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    12-27-09 @ 02:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: People: Dumb?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Is the average human being a dolt, or something close to it?
    I guess it depends on your definition of 'dolt.' The average person can balance a checkbook, drive a car safely, look after their kids, understand directions, and know that they should visit the doctor if that mole on their neck starts to turn strange colors...

    So no, I don't think the average human being would qualify as a 'dolt.'


  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Last Seen
    01-30-12 @ 07:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,730

    Re: People: Dumb?

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    We aren't smart enough to avoid the tragedy of the commons like all other animals face when their species overpopulates. We aren't smart enough to avoid engaging in our trivial tribalistic wars between nations, and egoistic competition.

    I think we are comparatively smarter, but we are not smart. The species as a whole is still quite primitive. Sorry for taking the glass is half empty approach, but I can't help it.
    I think that greed and obsession can infect people no matter what their intelligence level may be.

  5. #15
    Educator Grateful Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    12-27-09 @ 02:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: People: Dumb?

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    We aren't smart enough to avoid engaging in our trivial tribalistic wars between nations, and egoistic competition.
    Healthy competition is what keeps all species strong. No??


  6. #16
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,298

    Re: People: Dumb?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    I think the cats would debate that point.
    As would the majority of humans. Just goes to show how vastly superior a mouse's intellect is in comparison to ours, they have pulled a brilliant snow job on us.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case
    We are so far behind the mice, though, it's scary.
    That it is, we are so naive.
    Last edited by marduc; 03-28-09 at 01:45 AM.

  7. #17
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-18-12 @ 10:29 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: People: Dumb?

    I think the need to start a poll like this should make it pretty clear.. lmao

  8. #18
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: People: Dumb?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    I think the need to start a poll like this should make it pretty clear.. lmao
    Well, I hear people complaining about it all the time, I just wanted to see if they really meant it, and for those who did, whether it implies a certain mindset connected with other ideas. If that makes any sense.

  9. #19
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: People: Dumb?

    We have created complex civilizations based in complex orderly societies, we are creating manned explorations to space, we have figured a way to communicate with other people on different parts of the world in real time, we have created machinery to take us to other continents within hours, we have created complex weapons with the potential to destroy and contaminate countries, we have found a way of curing what was once deadly dieases, we can grow human ears on mouses, we can trace blood lines thousands of years back using complex forensic science, we have created means of talking to people in any part of the world and we have created machines that are faster, and stronger, and more accurate then our own bodies or minds.

    And you ask me if people in general are dumb? I can name certain groups of people, but mankind as a whole? Not at all.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  10. #20
    Educator Grateful Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    12-27-09 @ 02:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: People: Dumb?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    We have created complex civilizations based in complex orderly societies, we are creating manned explorations to space, we have figured a way to communicate with other people on different parts of the world in real time, we have created machinery to take us to other continents within hours, we have created complex weapons with the potential to destroy and contaminate countries, we have found a way of curing what was once deadly dieases, we can grow human ears on mouses, we can trace blood lines thousands of years back using complex forensic science, we have created means of talking to people in any part of the world and we have created machines that are faster, and stronger, and more accurate then our own bodies or minds.

    And you ask me if people in general are dumb? I can name certain groups of people, but mankind as a whole? Not at all.
    Well... all of the things you listed above were discovered, created, or figured out by about 0.0001% of the population. The remaining 99.9999% simple tag along for the ride.


Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •