View Poll Results: Which would you prefer?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • A world with one religion

    1 1.96%
  • A world with several religions

    23 45.10%
  • A world with no religion

    27 52.94%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 98

Thread: Which religious situation would you prefer?

  1. #51
    Conservative Independent
    DarkWizard12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,342

    Re: Which religious situation would you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I was being sarcastic. The point I was making was precisely the point you just made.
    lolz u had me thar!

  2. #52
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    40,478

    Re: Which religious situation would you prefer?

    A poor set of choices IMHO.

    I voted for "several religions". Not because I necessarily think that is best, but because "one religion" or "no religion" would both require a totalitarian regime with the "thought police" monitoring everyone 24/7.

    "No religion" would be a disaster. A belief system that is entirely materialistic, denying any spiritual dimension to life, is ultimately a nihilistic belief, espousing the ultimate futility of all existence. I tend to believe that such a world would be capable of horrors beyond imagining. Many people would indeed feel that in such a universe, nothing really mattered, and many people would thus find no moral restraint on their actions.

    I know previous posters disagree... fine. I'm glad they'll never get to find out, since there will never be a world in which everyone is devoid of all spiritual beliefs.

    "One religion"...heh, yeah right...who decides which one?? I'd prefer my own of course, but I expect a few bah-zillion people would disagree.

    This question is essentially an exercise in intellectual masturbation, as it has no applicability to the real world. People will believe what they believe, and without universal mind control you can't stop them.


    G.

  3. #53
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Which religious situation would you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Nice, a lot of words saying very little. How is it facts not in evidence? MODERN cultures in many places in this world use superstition, voodoo, magic, smoke and mirrors, etc.
    Your argument can only stand if you have complete and absolute factual knowledge of which beliefs are "superstition" and which beliefs are not "superstition". Such factual knowledge is not within the store of human knowledge, so far as I am aware, and certainly has not been presented here.

    Even if you deride all religion as the product of "superstition", you still must confront a burden of proof, and you have presented none. You have not shown, not even by a preponderance of evidence, the merit of your position.

    Thus your argument presumes facts not in evidence.

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    There is very little logical foundation for any religion on this planet with the one exception of a group of people using it to aid the survival of the group.
    To quote H.H. The Dalai Lama, in the Introduction to his treatise on The Four Noble Truths
    Whether or not we like the philosophy of other religions isn't really the point. For a non-Buddhist, the idea of nirvana and a next life seems nonsensical. Similarly, to Buddhists the idea of a Creator God sometimes sounds like nonsense. But these things don't matter; we can drop them. The point is that through these different traditions, a very negative person can be transformed into a good person. That is the purpose of religion--and that is the actual result. This alone is a sufficient reason to respect other religions.
    Making "good" people is a very logical foundation for religion.

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    And survival instincts have done more than anything else to guarantee our continued existence on this planet.
    I disagree. Survival instinct is often the trigger for violence and war. Survival instinct does not inspire the Marine to throw himself on a grenade, or a parent to sacrifice himself or herself for the sake of children. Survival instinct does not advance science, or medicine, or law, or technology. Reason and ethics are the sources of such things.

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Religious beliefs have been used to motivate more people than anything else. Sometimes the motivation and/or end result is good, sometimes not...depends on the leadership, the ones wielding the words and his agenda....
    Group behaviors are always subject to misuse and manipulation. Yet religious belief is not merely a group behavior; religious belief motivates the individual man daily, in the privacy of his or her own conscience, without incitement by a preacher or demagogue.

  4. #54
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    09-12-16 @ 08:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,513

    Re: Which religious situation would you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    A poor set of choices IMHO.

    I voted for "several religions". Not because I necessarily think that is best, but because "one religion" or "no religion" would both require a totalitarian regime with the "thought police" monitoring everyone 24/7.

    "No religion" would be a disaster. A belief system that is entirely materialistic, denying any spiritual dimension to life, is ultimately a nihilistic belief, espousing the ultimate futility of all existence. I tend to believe that such a world would be capable of horrors beyond imagining. Many people would indeed feel that in such a universe, nothing really mattered, and many people would thus find no moral restraint on their actions.

    I know previous posters disagree... fine. I'm glad they'll never get to find out, since there will never be a world in which everyone is devoid of all spiritual beliefs.

    "One religion"...heh, yeah right...who decides which one?? I'd prefer my own of course, but I expect a few bah-zillion people would disagree.

    This question is essentially an exercise in intellectual masturbation, as it has no applicability to the real world. People will believe what they believe, and without universal mind control you can't stop them.


    G.
    You can usually tell when someone doesn't totally agree with their own religion, as occurs with me. There are many subsets in the belief systems...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  5. #55
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Which religious situation would you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    Yes but people invented religion and people use religion to indoctrinate the youth in order to have wars and kill people. What you're saying is akin to saying that the ideology of Nazism itself wasn't even part of the problem.
    There are no evil thoughts. There are only evil deeds.

    A man may be the most rabid racist, the most sickening anti-Semite, yet so long as he is these things only in his mind, no evil arises; when that man gives form to those thoughts through action, that is when evil comes.

    So yes, the ideology of Nazism is not a problem. The preaching and expostulating of that ideology can be a problem, and the acting upon that ideology most certainly is a problem.

    So it is with religion; the good or the evil of religion is found in the deeds ascribed to religion, not in the religion itself.

  6. #56
    User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    OKC
    Last Seen
    04-03-09 @ 09:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    19

    Re: Which religious situation would you prefer?

    Realistically, a world with multiple religions. While I personally believe the world would be better with no religion, I think people should have to have a choice in their beliefs. No one's beliefs should be dictated by what I, or any other person believes is best for the world. That is also why I would oppose a one-world religion; I believe in choice.

  7. #57
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    09-12-16 @ 08:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,513

    Re: Which religious situation would you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Your argument can only stand if you have complete and absolute factual knowledge of which beliefs are "superstition" and which beliefs are not "superstition". Such factual knowledge is not within the store of human knowledge, so far as I am aware, and certainly has not been presented here.

    Even if you deride all religion as the product of "superstition", you still must confront a burden of proof, and you have presented none. You have not shown, not even by a preponderance of evidence, the merit of your position.

    Thus your argument presumes facts not in evidence.


    To quote H.H. The Dalai Lama, in the Introduction to his treatise on The Four Noble Truths


    Making "good" people is a very logical foundation for religion.


    I disagree. Survival instinct is often the trigger for violence and war. Survival instinct does not inspire the Marine to throw himself on a grenade, or a parent to sacrifice himself or herself for the sake of children. Survival instinct does not advance science, or medicine, or law, or technology. Reason and ethics are the sources of such things.


    Group behaviors are always subject to misuse and manipulation. Yet religious belief is not merely a group behavior; religious belief motivates the individual man daily, in the privacy of his or her own conscience, without incitement by a preacher or demagogue.
    you have been watching old perry mason shows, perhaps?
    well, lumping together a bunch of quasi-related "facts" is not evidence or proof, whether it comes from me or you. LOGIC has to be considered, and you are all over the map with your lack of logic. If you want to believe that faith and/or religion preceded survival instincts, go ahead. Even ideas have an evolutionary trail.....and it makes sense that survival instincts were with us long before we were first able to think, communicate orally, etc.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  8. #58
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    09-12-16 @ 08:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,513

    Re: Which religious situation would you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    There are no evil thoughts. There are only evil deeds.

    A man may be the most rabid racist, the most sickening anti-Semite, yet so long as he is these things only in his mind, no evil arises; when that man gives form to those thoughts through action, that is when evil comes.

    So yes, the ideology of Nazism is not a problem. The preaching and expostulating of that ideology can be a problem, and the acting upon that ideology most certainly is a problem.

    So it is with religion; the good or the evil of religion is found in the deeds ascribed to religion, not in the religion itself.
    yeah, sure, even when the religion requires you to do evil, as in parts of the OT, parts of Islamic scriptures, etc.
    what dwells in the mind is likely to be converted to action, any shrink will tell you that...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  9. #59
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Which religious situation would you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    you have been watching old perry mason shows, perhaps?
    well, lumping together a bunch of quasi-related "facts" is not evidence or proof, whether it comes from me or you. LOGIC has to be considered, and you are all over the map with your lack of logic. If you want to believe that faith and/or religion preceded survival instincts, go ahead. Even ideas have an evolutionary trail.....and it makes sense that survival instincts were with us long before we were first able to think, communicate orally, etc.
    Sir, if you have some semblance of logic to present, please do so. I for one would find such logic a pleasant addition to your discourse.

  10. #60
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Which religious situation would you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    yeah, sure, even when the religion requires you to do evil, as in parts of the OT, parts of Islamic scriptures, etc.
    what dwells in the mind is likely to be converted to action, any shrink will tell you that...
    What is likely is not what is certain; what may be is not necessarily what will be. No matter how strong the compulsion or the coercion to do harm, no thought generates harm until it expressed as action, nor have you demonstrated otherwise.

    Also, religions cannot require evil of anyone; whatsoever a religion requires of a man, within the context of that religion, it is necessarily good--it is good because the religion proclaims it as good. There is no religion that, within its moral framework, compels a person to violate that moral framework.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •